10th Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Honda missed the boat on the 10th Gen Civic by not adding Homelink! I decided to get a salvage Center Dome light console from a 2009 to 2015 Pilot because a new OEM Homelink is $170 on sale. I got my for $40. First, I saw on youtube connecting a 12V 23A battery to the Homelink piece. You can order the battery case on Newegg and solder the two wires in pin 2 (negative) and pin 5 (positive). This method does not illuminate the 3 homelink bottoms and you will have to replace the battery every year or two. Then I saw on another forum of hard wiring the homelink to the car so you can have constant power.

What you will do is to remove the salvage Homelink out of the center console. Remove the microphone module from the salvage piece. Remove your new microphone module from your new Civic center console. The new microphone will be just left of salvage Homelink. I had to use a Dremel to shave some of the tabs that was holding the salvage microphone. The new microphone is a tad bigger.

First Picture is the original setup
Second Picture is the wiring (I ordered some breadboard jump wires on eBay)
Third Picture is the finished product

Homelink has 5 pins

1. Negative for illumination connect to the dome light console on the Blue wire
2. Negative main connect to the power sunroof Black wire
3. not used
4. Positive for illumination connect to the dome light console on the Gray wire (two wires left of the Blue wire)
5. Positive main connect to the power sunroof Red Wire

Attachments

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
This is beyond my capabilities but thanks for sharing your installation! I'm sure a few others here can use your guide to jimmy up their own homelink.

·
Registered
922 Posts
This is way too cool. Just like 4Tires however, this is beyond my comprehension and extremely lacking handy skills lol but darn good job ! Looks beautiful

·
Registered
47 Posts
I got to ask...

How much for a plug and play?

Just curious!!!

BA

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got to ask...

How much for a plug and play?

Just curious!!!

BA
Honda did not make a Homelink for the 2016 Civic. If you want a Homelink module through Honda, it would cost $150 to $170 which does not include the console cover. I had to find a salvage center console from a Pilot and I made an offer of $40 and the seller sold it to me. Typically, I have seen center console from $55 to $125 for a Pilot. The breadbead wire was $4 on eBay. Quick clip connectors were $2. My Homelink project cost less than $50.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Honda did not make a Homelink for the 2016 Civic. If you want a Homelink module through Honda, it would cost $150 to $170 which does not include the console cover. I had to find a salvage center console from a Pilot and I made an offer of $40 and the seller sold it to me. Typically, I have seen center console from $55 to $125 for a Pilot. The breadbead wire was $4 on eBay. Quick clip connectors were $2. My Homelink project cost less than $50.
Well what I was trying to get at was, how much would YOU charge to "make" one and ship it... If that's even possible or doable. 0:)

Regards,

BA...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well what I was trying to get at was, how much would YOU charge to "make" one and ship it... If that's even possible or doable. 0:)

Regards,

BA...
HA HA HA that's funny! Well, there's a couple of ways. In the past, a Honda Dealership was making the Homelink but was using a battery to power it. They were charging $150 for the piece. It's the easiest to install but you will have to replace the battery probably every two to three years (23A battery). I was going to do that and I have the battery case for it. Another set back is that it does not illuminate the Homelink buttons.

The one I did was hard wired into the car, so no battery needed. The issue with that is that it will be more difficult to install. Are you comfortable about splicing into wires? Also, that takes more work to set up, so it would cost more.

Is there a PM on this forum? Please ping me and we can try to work something out.:D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Last car I bought, I purchased a Homelink rearview online and Honda installed for me. Any shop should be able to do this.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I did this on my 2012 CR-V and it wasn't very hard to do, but you do have to take off a lot of trim and find the appropriate wires.
the mirror I got was the Gentex 50-GENK40A4 that has Homelink and is auto day/night dimming. College Hills Honda shows it for $209.00 plus $3.50 for the attachment kit. I'm going to ask my dealer tomorrow if they could and would source and install one for me.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Kudos to the OP for a genius idea. I've noticed our GDO doesn't work as well clipped to the sun visor, for some reason the Civic roof tends to block the signal compared to our previous car.

I also have a Gentex for my S2000, installed many years ago. I'm happy with it in general but the weight of it has cracked my windshield after driving over rumble strips. For that car, it had to be directly bonded to the glass.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I did this on my 2012 CR-V and it wasn't very hard to do, but you do have to take off a lot of trim and find the appropriate wires.
the mirror I got was the Gentex 50-GENK40A4 that has Homelink and is auto day/night dimming. College Hills Honda shows it for $209.00 plus $3.50 for the attachment kit. I'm going to ask my dealer tomorrow if they could and would source and install one for me.
They won't do it. Liability issues if they have to splice a wire.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts