10th Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Honda’s new Civic Hatchback may be the star of the Honda booth at the Geneva Motor Show but a few other vehicles on display are worth mentioning too.

For a bit more power, the 2016 Honda Civic Type R with a blistering top speed of 167mph and an acceleration time from 0-62mph in 5.7 seconds. Powered by a 2.0-liter turbocharged i-VTEC four, you’ll be driving around with 310 horsepower and 295lb-ft of torque.

Maybe Honda’s CR-V Black Edition will pique your interest. Honda UK announced the launch of two new special edition trims for the Civic and CR-V last month and the CR-V Black Edition has made an appearance at the Geneva show this year. The special edition is equipped with a sporty exterior kit including running boards, a tailgate spoiler, gloss black front grille, gloss black front and rear skid plates and a set of 19-inch black alloys. Buyers will be able to choose from two engine options, the 2.0-litre i-VTEC petrol or the 1.6-litre i-DTEC diesel in manual or automatic.

Also present at their booth is a piece of Honda history, the F1 RA272. Used in the 1965 Formula One season, the Honda RA271 successor is equipped with a 48-valve, 1,495 cc V-12 engine for a bhp of 230 at 11,500 rpm. Everything in that car was engineered by Honda; the multiplate clutch, 5-speed gearbox, chassis and body, etc. With Richie Ginther at the wheel, Honda won the final race of that year.

A more recent 9th Generation WTCC Civic Hatchback is on display too with its 2016 team listed on the rear window: Norbert Michelisz, Rob Huff, and Tiago Monteiro.

Going to be interesting to see what Honda comes out with next.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Honda should do a black edition/elite model of the CRV here in the states to mirror the new Pilot. I think it'd sell pretty well here actually. Maybe when the new CRV comes around on the new platform in another couple years.

·
Registered
991 Posts
I would expect that a special edition model would be introduced a bit before the new platform comes out. That can add in an extra boost of energy to sales and marketing when the model seems old otherwise.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I would expect that a special edition model would be introduced a bit before the new platform comes out. That can add in an extra boost of energy to sales and marketing when the model seems old otherwise.
True... has the current gen CRV had it's mid model update yet? It'd be a great addition to boost sales for the mid model update until the new model comes out.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Agreed. People love getting things that are special or exclusive.

Not sure about the CR-V having its update yet or not.

I also think that they wouldn't offer up a special edition, aside from a launch edition, when the vehicle gets redesigned. They would want to save that strategy for when the model needs to have a little sales boost.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Agreed. People love getting things that are special or exclusive.

Not sure about the CR-V having its update yet or not.

I also think that they wouldn't offer up a special edition, aside from a launch edition, when the vehicle gets redesigned. They would want to save that strategy for when the model needs to have a little sales boost.
Well they wouldn't have to market it as a "special edition" just make it like the elite for the pilot... it existed from day 1 of the new model, but they don't market it as a special edition, just as optional appearance package, which they could also do with the CRV. Use it to boost sales now, but offer it on the new CRV in a couple years as a new appearance package.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Think Honda will ever offer a black edition for the new Civics?
If the hatch has as much shiny black plastic as the prototype, BE comes standard in black paint.
Rant: the creeping black plastic panels on all models are a detour in the tradition of unifying form. example on the hatch, that little bit of plastic bogus C window, there are many who prefer an honest C pillar design. And,,,Floating roofs are not psychologically reassuring. No one asked for one.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Wild suggestion but a black edition type r would be great to see, if there's one way to add new life to a type r in a new way... that is going to be it.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Sometimes i feel like "special editions" are just cries for attention. Looking back at how many Scions had special editions or how many special versions of the hyundai veloster has had over it's lifespan it just seems like sad attempt at reeling in just a few extra sales to justify keeping the car around at all.

Honda certainly doesn't need special editions to justify their cars, especially the civic or CRV. But having a dedicated appearance package or trim level is different. It's not limited edition and its not as half assed as many "special editions" are.

That said, an elite model for the CRV similar to the pilot would be a winner for sure. Possibly offering a blackout appearance package for the civics would be a good option as well i think.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts