10th Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
I thought this whole car is drive by wire? That is how it can do the brake hold and adaptive cruse control stuff? It didn't look like any of that was in the video.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I thought this whole car is drive by wire? That is how it can do the brake hold and adaptive cruse control stuff? It didn't look like any of that was in the video.
They mention the VSA modulator. All of the "high tech" electronic magic like ACC and CMBS work through the VSA modulator. I suspect, but don't know, that Brake Hold does as well (maybe that's why the ten minute time out--to bound active time of the modulator).

The basic braking system is more or less the same two channel hydraulic system that's been in 99.999% of cars since the mid 1960's. Everything else is on top of that. The reason this is still true is because the basic system needs to be fail safe to all manner of failures including complete electrical collapse. Hard to make brake-by-wire meet that requirement. For the same reason, the EPS is also not "drive-by-wire" in that there is the mechanically coupled system that will steer the car even if there is Zero electrical function. The throttle, however, is absolutely -by-wire. It doesn't need to be fail safe.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
But if the brakes or steering ever fails and everything is drive-by-wire, you're going to be moving in an uncontrollable metal box. A slightly better drive feel isn't worth the danger it can pose.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Exactly that ^^

Technology is prone to fail at some point. There's too many things that can cause it to go wrong. In that scenario, the fail safe is to be able to have a manual override so you can control the vehicle if anything were to occur. Otherwise, as stated above, hurdling down the road in an uncontrollable metal box playing the game of life.

·
Registered
876 Posts
At that point all you're left with is your emergency brake to lessen the impact of what will happen.
It's why I still prefer some older more simple cars rather than all these advancements that haven't entirely proven themselves long enough. It can be scary.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I fix my brakes myself. The rear brakes on my 2006 Civic always wore unevenly because the pins and slides that the brakes slid on needed constant lubrication. So after six months, they stuck a little bit and didn't get applied as hard as they should have. The front was OK

I see that same uneven wear pattern on my 2016 Civic EX. The front rotors are smooth and bright, but the back rotors are getting grooves in them because they're not being applied with the correct pressure.

I was really hoping that this would be fixed after the passage of 10 years, but they appear to be pretty much the same.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts