10th Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

From the 2016 Civic first drive event in Michigan. There's your Civic's new DOHC 1.5T. Now decide what car will wrap around it...

For those of you just getting up to speed, this is the first Civic to feature factory turbocharging and the 174 hp 1.5L DOHC Turbo 4 cylinder is the first Honda made turbo engine installed in a Honda badged vehicle.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Changing that alternator is not going to be fun with it mounted where it is and with the engine positioned how I think it will in the bay.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Cool to see the engine like this since most people will not be seeing it at all except every once in a while when they open the hood and see the top of it.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Does the timing chain ever require replacement?
no it shouldn't, per Honda

http://automobiles.honda.com/information/frequently-asked-questions.aspx?Question=6

How often do I need to change the timing belt on my vehicle?

Depending on the model year of the vehicle, it is typically between 60,000 and 90,000 miles. If your vehicle has a timing chain, instead of a timing belt, replacement of the timing chain is not required. Refer to the Scheduled Maintenance section of the appropriate owner's manual for specific information.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Changing that alternator is not going to be fun with it mounted where it is and with the engine positioned how I think it will in the bay.
yea you're right... its at the back, you'll probabaly have to get at it from underneath

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'd say its pretty rare that an alternator goes bad though. But I agree, it will need to accessed from under the car.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I immediately thought the same thing about the alternator. My previous cars had me replace the alternator at about 100k miles. My 2006 Civic was the exception, getting almost 170k and still never needed alternator change. If that does go, I can see the engine needing to be pulled.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Probably won't need to touch the timing chain for a long while but if the carbon brushes or the contact rings ever get worn, replacing them will be a pain. All the power to the local dealership as I assume the mechanics will receive training on how to access the alternator.

·
Registered
143 Posts
The alternator looks like it will be accessible underneath and removing the front passenger tire. Same thing for removing the serpentine belt.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Due to the time that it will take to do all of that, i'm sure the techs will like the units it helps them to rack up, especially with how easy but time consuming of a job it is.

·
Registered
959 Posts
So the only thing I'm really 'worried' about is how tight the engine bay... wonder how difficult its going to be to make even mild mods... intake seems easy... but someone pointed out to me that the 1.5 has little dinky headers...

Its all well and good to upgrade the intake, but if the engine can't flow it properly what's it worth?

·
Registered
17 Posts
So the only thing I'm really 'worried' about is how tight the engine bay... wonder how difficult its going to be to make even mild mods... intake seems easy... but someone pointed out to me that the 1.5 has little dinky headers...

Its all well and good to upgrade the intake, but if the engine can't flow it properly what's it worth?
I imagine by "dinky headers" you mean the Integrated Exhaust Manifold. This means nothing in terms of limited flow. Honda's racing engines now use IEM, and the new twin-turbo NSX will as well.

NSX:

ALMS-based engine:

·
Registered
237 Posts
I imagine by "dinky headers" you mean the Integrated Exhaust Manifold. This means nothing in terms of limited flow. Honda's racing engines now use IEM, and the new twin-turbo NSX will as well.

NSX:

ALMS-based engine:
but it might mean more difficulty in replacing/upgrading for those who want to...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts