10th Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

We're well aware that Honda debuted the Civic Coupe Concept in New York just this month, we're also acutely aware that Honda is running a 5 door around somewhere. The next question, besides when will we see it in production trim, turns to the hatchback. Will Honda show a separate hatchback concept? I think yes simply because of the different market tastes between North America and Europe.

For this extremely delicate process we turned to substantial scientific methonds. Exploring Wikipedia.

9th Gen:

North American Civic debuted in concept form (coupe and sedan) at the NAIAS in January of 2011, in April of 2011 production models were seen, at the dealers. Revised Si Cuope debuted at SEMA in 2014

The European 5 door hatch debuted at the Frankfurt show in September of 2011. It was a mild improvement over the outgoing 8th gen so no concept was shown of the base 5 door.

8th Gen:

NA spec Si Coupe Concept made its debut at the 2005 Chicago Autoshow in Februrary of that year. The production Si coupe debuted at SEMA of that year.

JDM version debuted September 22 2005 in Japan

7th Gen:

The 2003 Si Concept debuted at SEMA of that year, which was just an earlier Euro spec hatchback for the NA market

Ok so conclusions? Well considering we've already seen the Coupe Concept can we assume that Honda won't be showing us an Si concept? I'm not sure if thats logical or not.

If I had to put money down, I'd bet that Honda will make their next Civic debut at either Frankfurt 2015 or SEMA 2015. The Frankfurt show is already being billed as the most important show of the year:

Here's a quick list of what we can expect to see over there (and in no particular order, X-Factor style): Mercedes-Benz C-Coupe, all-new Audi A4, all-new BMW 7 Series, all-new Opel Astra, Mercedes-Benz GLE (facelifted ML), all-new Volkswagen Tiguan, Bentley Bentayga, Mercedes-Benz S-Class Cabrio, Mercedes-Benz A-Class facelift, all-new Audi R8, Maserati Levante (SUV), McLaren P13, BMW X4 M40i, Infiniti Q30, Lamborghini Huracan Spyder and the Porsche 911 facelift.
Is than an appropriate place to move to the next phase of the Civic launch? I think so, but now, what exactly will Honda show us there? a 5 door concept, an Si Concept, a sedan? All three in production form?

·
Registered
876 Posts
All three would be great.
Plus we did spot them all at once, maybe they were all at the same phase of development and Honda was cross testing all 3?

Seeing all 3 at once at this show would be great.

·
Registered
991 Posts
I could definitely see a Civic hatchback concept happening before they just skip to a production version. I think that there is room for more conceptual design to be shown off with the hatchback before they skip to the production version. I just imagine that they could come up with something very interesting at the rear end of the hatchback with the tail lights.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I could definitely see a Civic hatchback concept happening before they just skip to a production version. I think that there is room for more conceptual design to be shown off with the hatchback before they skip to the production version. I just imagine that they could come up with something very interesting at the rear end of the hatchback with the tail lights.
unless Concept B has already been there done that...

·
Registered
10 Posts
I agree. Too soon for Honda to be showing a replacement for the existing 9th gen 5-door (mid-life facelift version only just released to market). Perhaps we will see a 5-door concept revealed at the 2016 Geneva Car Show.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree. Too soon for Honda to be showing a replacement for the existing 9th gen 5-door (mid-life facelift version only just released to market). Perhaps we will see a 5-door concept revealed at the 2016 Geneva Car Show.
I think Geneva is too late for them to be showing a 5 door concept. I agree that they will show a 5 door at Geneva, just I think its going to be the production model. I think the key to figuring out Honda's timeline is when Swindon is expected to stop producing CR-V's for the Euro market. IMO that tips the hand-off....

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
With them this far into the process with all 3 models shown as test mules, IMO, seeing what production models in their final stage as pre-production models will more than likely be it.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Is there time for them to show a concept at one of the auto shows before Geneva?
The way I see it, they're well past that stage, of showing concepts.

Been following the release of a few vehicles in the past, the 9th gen civic specifically and you just don't normally see test mules that seem production like and concepts of it sometime later. Seems rather backwards to me.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Is there time for them to show a concept at one of the auto shows before Geneva?
That seems to be the point of this thread, Smartie is speculating that Frankfurt which is in September 2015 could be the place a Concept hatch/sedan is shown with Geneva in early 2016 (or even NAIAS in Jan) being where the production derivatives are debuted?

Not sure... But then again Honda has said the tenth could and should go on sale as a MY 2016 which could be anytime after August 2015... So its even possible that all three production models bow in Frankfurt if thats their plan. There is also LA to consider but I'm not sure if thats where Honda wants to do a global debut...

·
Registered
991 Posts
Showing all 3 production models at the same time in Frankfurt would be a huge reveal. They would certainly draw a lot of buzz. I can't help feeling that the hatch will be held back until later though.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Showing all 3 production models at the same time in Frankfurt would be a huge reveal. They would certainly draw a lot of buzz. I can't help feeling that the hatch will be held back until later though.
Honda UK said recently that the hatch is about 18 months out...

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
A road and track article is saying starting in 2016 we'll see it:

That's a bummer for Honda's European operations, but it's probably great news for North Americans. To prop up its British manufacturing business, Honda will import Civic hatchbacks (five-door models) to North America starting in 2016. That almost certainly includes the Civic Type R we just saw unveiled in Geneva—the 305-hp, turbocharged, flared, be-winged monster that Honda claims can slaughter the Nordschleife in 7:50.63.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Starting to think we'll see the typical sedan and coupe models in Frankfurt with them going on sale soon after, within weeks from seeing them, October 2015?

·
Registered
991 Posts
Frankfurt for the sedan and coupe seems very likely at this point. With the amount of info we have seen on them, the timing, and when they are supposed to go on sale -- it all makes sense. They'll want to have them out before Christmas so a Fall on sale date makes total sense.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Starting to think we'll see the typical sedan and coupe models in Frankfurt with them going on sale soon after, within weeks from seeing them, October 2015?
When you say that they will go on sale in October, does that mean that the order books will be opened and you can put down a deposit, or the cars will actually be on lots and you can just go down and pick one up?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts