10th Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MotorTrend posted their first drive review

Those of us old enough to remember who was in charge (Charles), whom to call (Ghostbusters), and what KITT stood for (Google it, kiddo) are still having a hard time getting used to Honda not flat-out blowing us away every time it introduces something. Perhaps it’s not fair, but we always have high expectations from the company that Soichiro built. It used to be that every time Honda put its collective mind to a task, it came up with an acronym that changed the automotive world. CVCC, VTEC, SH-AWD, how we love you.

The Euro-market Civic isn’t related to our U.S. Civic, but Honda thought it was a great idea to allow us behind the wheel of its first turbocharged performance car. We agree wholeheartedly — and that was before we realized that this 2.0-liter four-cylinder is built in Ohio. Now things are getting really interesting! This is the engine we’ll be seeing in our new 10th-generation Civic, due this autumn

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/1506_honda_civic_type_r_euro_spec_first_drive_review/#ixzz3dRURKe2m

·
Registered
143 Posts
This is pretty damning:

If this Civic Type R had come out a decade ago, it would have left us speechless. Today, it just seems like … everything else. There’s not much in the way of innovation here — the front-strut design is something we’ve seen before, active shocks are great but nothing new, and the engine, powerful though it is, doesn’t do anything that other turbo-fours haven’t. Although it’s a fun back-road blaster, the R fades into one-dimensional understeer machine on track.

I'm looking forward to reading how Honda will innovate with the 10th gen, and create something truly special for today's marketplace.

·
Registered
959 Posts
This is pretty damning:

I'm looking forward to reading how Honda will innovate with the 10th gen, and create something truly special for today's marketplace.
It's also probabaly one of the worst pieces of musing I've ever read. I mean what kind of a statement is that, if this was around 10 years ago, wOWOOWOWWWEEEEEEE. LOL, Imagine if we had iPads 10 years ago, or cars that almost drive themselves. electric turbochargers and quiet clean diesels.

I just don't understand what people want. Theres a reason the fuckking wheel hasn't been reinvented.

Besides, how do we know mister so and so's abilities are any different then our own abilities. Powerful statements like understeer machine on track simply have no bearing on driving the car except in the minds of those who only picture themselves driving. See to them understeer affects their ability to weave in and out of slow moving traffic...

Car reviews are full of this kind of nonsense. They talk about “understeering at the limit” or “cornering like it’s on rails.” But what the vast majority of reviewers really mean is that they’ve reached their personal limits, not the limits of the car. And there’s quite a difference between the two
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2015/06/barks-bites-public-accept-car-reviews-people-cant-drive/

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is pretty damning:

Same.

Overall owners will be extremely happy with the availability of the Type R, seeing how their feedback overall compares to what we see here is what i'll be on the look out for.

·
Registered
143 Posts
It's also probabaly one of the worst pieces of musing I've ever read. I mean what kind of a statement is that, if this was around 10 years ago, wOWOOWOWWWEEEEEEE. LOL, Imagine if we had iPads 10 years ago, or cars that almost drive themselves. electric turbochargers and quiet clean diesels.

I just don't understand what people want. Theres a reason the fuckking wheel hasn't been reinvented.

Besides, how do we know mister so and so's abilities are any different then our own abilities. Powerful statements like understeer machine on track simply have no bearing on driving the car except in the minds of those who only picture themselves driving. See to them understeer affects their ability to weave in and out of slow moving traffic...

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2015/06/barks-bites-public-accept-car-reviews-people-cant-drive/

Can you point out anything innovative about the 9th gen R? It's a cool car for sure, but it isn't innovative. And I think that's what the reviewer is trying to point out, and I think it's a fair criticism.

Honda used to be a great engineering company, that really pushed forward the envelope with cars (multi-link suspension on the Civic when no one else was doing multilink) and seems to have regressed IMO. I'm hoping the 10th gen marks a return to form.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Can you point out anything innovative about the 9th gen R? It's a cool car for sure, but it isn't innovative. And I think that's what the reviewer is trying to point out, and I think it's a fair criticism.

Honda used to be a great engineering company, that really pushed forward the envelope with cars (multi-link suspension on the Civic when no one else was doing multilink) and seems to have regressed IMO. I'm hoping the 10th gen marks a return to form.
How can it possibly be a fair criticism when we're talking about a gap of 10 years. Look at the cars we had coming out in 2005, not one of them would be considered 'good' by todays standards is the point I'm making.

·
Registered
165 Posts

so true, sooo true
2016 is the year of honda
they still make good cars but they do need to make a step forward

·
Registered
165 Posts
hmmm, in Europe the civic doesn't sell well at all
in Belgium when I see a ninth gen I start screaming enthusiasticly cause it is such a rare sight

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so true, sooo true
2016 is the year of honda
they still make good cars but they do need to make a step forward
CTR, NSX, and then the patents of the baby-NSX, it only gets better and better... even the Civic Coupe is shaping up to be what seems the best, compared to what we've been getting for the past while.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts