10th Honda Civic Forum banner

Honda Hypes 10th Gen Interior

12K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  CanGuy 
#1 ·
While not giving us much John Mendel did hype the interior specifically...

He wouldn’t comment on how much of a diet the new car has undergone, but did tout its sportiness and a return to what Honda fans remember, while also commenting that when it comes to the interior, “you’re going to be blown away.”

#2 ·
It would be very cool to see an interior that is going to "blow us away."Sometimes on cars like this I feel like the interior isn't given as much attention because it ends up being more about the performance and function. A few nice design details and innovations with the interior would be a welcome surprise.

#6 ·
Love the drawing @RobbJK88

Looks like you got rid of the two tier dash, which is a move I appreciate. Given that Honda has been really hyping the interior, what surprises and main selling ponts do you think Honda is going to include?

Here I included a picture of the HRV interior and the S660 gauge cluster just to give more explanation of what you are going for in your sketch.

#9 ·
That's a fair guess. The civics have always leaned more accord like with each new generation, and then the accord jumps ahead again. The current accord still has 2 years to go roughly before it's redesign.

I really feel honda is breaking the cycle of its current designs however. I think the HRV is a good example of a more clean, simple laid out interior that will start to reflect over the entire lineup. The CRV has a simpler interior as well, as does the new pilot coming out soon.

We may see a much cleaner and less crowded interior in the next accords as well. Less buttons, more touch screens. But also losing the iMid since the touch screen does all that plus more. I'd really like to see the touch screen HVAC controls in the civic. Honda's interiors have in some cases gotten too busy and they've always wanted to be a driver centered driving experience. So less going on in the cabin, less distraction, more driver focus.

An overall uptick in quality of materials (The HRV might be based on the fit but its interior has gotten good reviews) and just a more thoughtful and clean design.

#12 · (Edited)
I see your points. BUT. The steering wheel will still have the volume/menu/call buttons. Is a volume knob still necessary? (I would like if they'd add a mute button). Also, have any of you played with the new touch screen. Other than the touchy volume swipe area and slightly dated graphics most publications agree it's one of the best. Well thought out, user friendly and organized. Personally i think the imid system is a mess. Its so confusing and took forever to learn. The new touch screen is way better in terms of intuitive interaction. Also, it wouldn't be that insane for honda to add tactile feedback to the screens (i feel like i read somewhere they might be doing just that with the next version of the system, can't remember where tho.) Also, once you have it dedicated to memory you don't need knobs and buttons (the HVAC still has buttons below the screen, the screen only adjusts temp and auto climate control and seat warmers). I type and use my iphone all the time without ever having to look down at the screen, it just take a bit of getting used to. And really, once you've done that knobs and buttons aren't any more/less distracting than touch screens. But the screens give a cleaner more high end look.

Just my thoughts. lol.

Also, the next version that'll be in the civic will have the Apply Carplay (and android auto i think), which effectively makes the touchscreen into your phone, so that shouldn't take any getting used to as we all know our own phones id think.

#15 ·
You have to have almost all the controls available in the center of the vehicle because the passenger should have that access. How often is the passenger the guy who chooses music, adjusts AC, and stuff like that.

The thing about the touch screens is that there is a root menu which covers many of the controls which are hidden in deeper menu pages. Feeling the click of volume points on the knob makes it so that you don't even have to look as opposed to the touch screen which can't provide that physical feedback.

#14 ·
I suppose everyone is different. I can honestly count on one hand how many times i've even touched the volume knob in my cars in the past 2 years. I always use the steering wheel controls (because at least one hand should always be there) And i probably wouldn't have ever touched the volume knob if there was an instant mute button.

#18 · (Edited)
I think those lights act as a shift point indicator. The closer it gets to red the closer you are to ideal shift points? Just an idea. Granted, this is the concept interior. The production interior got toned down quite a bit, and if they're going to use anything for the civic it'd be the gauge cluster and the steering wheel maybe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.