10th Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Good news sports fans, American Honda is considering adding the S660 to the American lineup.

Speaking to Edmunds, Executive VP John Mendel said "We're looking at it intently for North America, we want some spice in the lineup."

Some two feet shorter then the MX-5, the diminuitive kei would be a spectacle on American streets, although it is just as wide as the Mazda. Somehow they managed to build a mid engine, RWD roadster out of those dimensions, and gift it a favourable 45/55 weight distribution.

Mendel did say that several issues would need to be addressed before it becomes viable, namely upgrading the 63 hp, 660 cc three cylinder. Rumor has it that Honda could bore the triple out to 1.0L for North America.

Yet as Mendel adds "It's got to be commercially viable. It's got to serve a purpose from a brand standpoint, what does it do for the brand?"

Well, what does it?

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Innovation and variety! Honda is most commonly know for it's civic even though they do branch out into other automotive categories and I don't think anything similar to this is available in the U.S. and Canada.

As for comparison, we won't really know how it stacks up to the Si as it will be upgraded but we don't know much much of an upgrade it will get. Not sure if they're trying to use it as a halo car of sorts to promote a sportier lineup here.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Had a feeling this would happen, the lack of fun cars for a while along with the NSX coming to market soon it just makes sense to straddle that and tap into other 'fun' segments, even more so at a time where there's a growing amount of people with the money to buy them.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Had a feeling this would happen, the lack of fun cars for a while along with the NSX coming to market soon it just makes sense to straddle that and tap into other 'fun' segments, even more so at a time where there's a growing amount of people with the money to buy them.
it is interesting that they've found success when the 86 has been fairly dismal sales wise... (for now)

·
Registered
441 Posts
it would compete against vehicles like the Miata and the FR-S. Those cars aren't super popular but there is a niche group of people who love them. I'd be interested if it is at an affordable price.

·
Registered
959 Posts
it would compete against vehicles like the Miata and the FR-S. Those cars aren't super popular but there is a niche group of people who love them. I'd be interested if it is at an affordable price.
no it wouldn't Honda said specifically it would not be an MX-5 rival.

I wonder how it makes out with NA crash regs..

·
Registered
40 Posts
I know a guy with a Honda Beat and its a blast to drive. This S is larger, but still probably similar in size to an MR2/MRS and would be a hoot I think.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
It supposed to be a successor to the Beat so it'll most likely be fun to drive around like the Beat. My only grip is the softtop roof as it seems like it has to be manually deconstructed and placed in the tiny trunk. Hopefully this is something they can update for it's made available in America.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
It supposed to be a successor to the Beat so it'll most likely be fun to drive around like the Beat. My only grip is the softtop roof as it seems like it has to be manually deconstructed and placed in the tiny trunk. Hopefully this is something they can update for it's made available in America.
Chances are we'll end up with a soft top, I doubt they'll go hard top as those can add quite a lot of weight. If it was Acura doing this then maybe.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Chances are we'll end up with a soft top, I doubt they'll go hard top as those can add quite a lot of weight. If it was Acura doing this then maybe.
even if it was acura doing. The 660 is like a lotus, fun at the bare minimum. The soft top is part of its charm, its about as big as a placemat...

·
Registered
991 Posts
Even if they say it won't be targeting the Miata, I just assume that people will cross-shop the two of them. I know I would.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Hopefully they'll give people the option to add on a hard top even if it won't come standard. It looks better and it won't be as cold.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Hopefully they'll give people the option to add on a hard top even if it won't come standard. It looks better and it won't be as cold.
That would be great although I won't wait on it. It'll be good for those that want a more rigid vehicle for the track or even just for looks of course.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I find that convertibles just don't look that great with the roof up. I prefer soft top just because it weighs less and either way it is going to not look that great with the roof up.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I find that convertibles just don't look that great with the roof up. I prefer soft top just because it weighs less and either way it is going to not look that great with the roof up.
Its not a convertible, its a roadster. Massive difference although it may not appear to be so. A roadster isn't as structurally compromised as a convertible... Roadsters are just like big sunroofs LOL

1 - 20 of 40 Posts