10th Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although we might not get it, for now this is what's happening with the Tourer Diesel in other parts of the world:

Honda’s been slow to bring a small capacity turbocharged diesel engine to market, but now that it has, it wants to convince the rest of the world of its qualities.

The number one priority for the 1.6-liter 120 PS i-DTEC engine is to be efficient, so they’re taking it on a 8,500-mile drive across Europe to prove just how frugal it is.

The 13,670 km journey will take the Civic Tourer diesel across 24 of the 28 member states of the European Union, setting off in Aalast, Belgium, with the aim of returning there 25 days later. Countries they’re not reaching are the UK, Ireland, Cyprus and Malta.

The journey kicks off June 1st and Honda aims to gain a Guinness World Record by completing it. It’s “based on strict and rigorous guidelines, the record attempt will have the car enter each of the 24 countries specified, collecting a range of evidence including a fuel/mileage logbook, GPS readings, video, photographs and independent witness signatures to prove that it has done so.”

It’s not particularly clear what the record entails, but it’s called “Lowest Fuel Consumption – all 24 contiguous EU countries.”

The drivers for the task are two Honda R&D colleagues Fergal McGrath and Julian Warren. They will be taking turns at the wheel, driving 7.5 hours per turn.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I think that for many people fuel efficiency is the most important thing to consider when buying a new vehicle. Having that title for your segment is a huge boon for business. Saves you money over the long run, and it also is kind of annoying having to stop for gas, so why not make sure it happens as little as possible.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In a segment like this and all surrounding segments it matters a lot since it's more of a commuter car than anything to have real fun with. But making it more widely available would be a move in a direction favored by folks in say... North America.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Well at least they are not trying to set a record for the nicest looking Civic because this Civic livery would definitely not succeed.

·
Registered
165 Posts
why on earth do they choose the tourer for this and not the normal hatch?!
the tourer is still a bit less efficient

·
Registered
876 Posts
Well at least they are not trying to set a record for the nicest looking Civic because this Civic livery would definitely not succeed.
It takes home the prize for biggest eye sore.
And I have to say, I wasn't expecting anything like this, what I was expecting was something MUCH more toned down.

·
Registered
991 Posts
It takes home the prize for biggest eye sore.
And I have to say, I wasn't expecting anything like this, what I was expecting was something MUCH more toned down.
I guess with a publicity stunt like this they really want the car to stand out so that it catches people's eyes. I think they could have done that in a way that was much more stylish, but they definitely will have people's attention with this livery.

·
Registered
441 Posts
The weirdest part of the livery is hot the A-pillar is red and then fades to blue as it turns into the roof. I think that looks strange.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I guess with a publicity stunt like this they really want the car to stand out so that it catches people's eyes. I think they could have done that in a way that was much more stylish, but they definitely will have people's attention with this livery.
Looks like they got out of it what they wanted, they got us talking about it after all!

·
Registered
991 Posts
Wouldn't it have been better to get attention for an amazing livery instead of an ugly one though. Two sides of the same coin, but i think that giving us something that is better looking to get attention is better than the opposite.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Very true, mileage is what matters a lot to owners in this segment and is more than likely one of the top things on their list, Honda is in the business of catering to that tho, they should deliver

·
Registered
991 Posts
I mean it would be pretty embarrassing for Honda to not set this record after having hyped it so much. Anyone know if they have completed the run yet?

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
that it would

quite possible they have some diesel engine tech they plan on implementing here to ensure their success or SOMETHING that'll have them confident in that goal.

·
Registered
441 Posts

·
Registered
991 Posts
I wonder what is special about this car as opposed to a Civic Tourer that you can buy at the dealership. Anything?

I also know that they were driving super boring in order to use the least amount of fuel possible.

I'm just wondering if people in the real world with a Honda Civic Tourer have any chance of achieving the same fuel efficiency.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I wonder what is special about this car as opposed to a Civic Tourer that you can buy at the dealership. Anything?

I also know that they were driving super boring in order to use the least amount of fuel possible.

I'm just wondering if people in the real world with a Honda Civic Tourer have any chance of achieving the same fuel efficiency.
From what I can make of it so far its running the same powertrain as the Civic Tourer you can buy if you live in a market that gets it (ex. UK)

Honda has a page up on it on Honda UK. Look it up.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I bet they drove so slowly the whole time.

A great record to set though.

I wonder if others will try to displace them now. Are there any other vehicles that could possibly take on the Civic Tourer?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts