10th Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Granted, we can't find it anymore on the Japanese patent office's website but apparently AutoGuide saw the drawings before they were taken down. Honda filed a new patent for a 11-speed, three-clutch transmission for better fuel economy.

No idea if the patent has gone through and when it'll actually be put into production cars but when it does, maybe we'll see it in the future civic lineup.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Most likely we'll see it in the Acura lineup first. Then it'll trickle down into higher end accords, then maybe finally the civic.... given how much honda doesn't like using DCT transmissions, i'm a bit shocked theyd jump into this monstrous sounding 3 clutch transmission (TCT? Tri Clutch Transmission?). At this point i have to wonder with 11-speeds isn't it basically them trying to make a traditional stepped auto into variable ratio like a CVT almost? Knowing how pricey DCTs can be i can only imagine the size/weight/complexity/price of a 11 speed 3 clutch... We definitely won't see this on a civic for a good long time.

I just hope and pray they don't source anything from ZF like they did the new 9-speed in the pilots. After all the mess FCA had with the ZF 9-speed i'm shocked honda didn't develop their own in-house. Motortrend just reported last week they had to have the transmission replaced in their long-term pilot. These ZF transmissions have so far proven to be incredibly unreliable and difficult very difficult to tune that they aren't jerky or unrefined feeling.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I assume something complicated like a 11-speed transmission will be machined in house by Honda because god knows what would happen if ZF tries to mass produce it.

Was hoping to see it in Honda models instead of Acura, never really like their design but I do like how the transmission descriptions sounds; "speed change response to be increased.” Not sure what they meant by restricted.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I assume something complicated like a 11-speed transmission will be machined in house by Honda because god knows what would happen if ZF tries to mass produce it.

Was hoping to see it in Honda models instead of Acura, never really like their design but I do like how the transmission descriptions sounds; "speed change response to be increased.” Not sure what they meant by restricted.
It'll come to honda eventually, but acura is usually the first to get the super new tech stuff, then it trickles down to higher end honda models like pilot and accord, then eventually the civic and such. That said, honda got the new turbo charged engines first, in the civic no less, so they might surprise us.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
With 11 gears, the transmission will constantly be shifting and I heard that people reviewing the FCAs 9-speed said the acceleration suffers suffers because of it. Maybe honda pulled the patent when they realized they're just getting too complicated and we won't be seeing it go into production any time soon.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
With 11 gears, the transmission will constantly be shifting and I heard that people reviewing the FCAs 9-speed said the acceleration suffers suffers because of it. Maybe honda pulled the patent when they realized they're just getting too complicated and we won't be seeing it go into production any time soon.
Possibility. The Dodge dart definitely suffered initially from the 9 speed in terms of performance, not only was it badly tuned and jerky it sapped any sense of power from the car (giving it a worse 0-60 time than the 9th gen civic even though it had way more power/torque)... now, they retuned the 9-speed for the chrysler 200 and it didn't hurt its performance at all (same platform/engine combo from the dart) so it really is all in the fine tuning of the various gears to get the right combo of performance AND fuel efficiency.

According to what honda has said, a 3 clutch would lessen torque suck evident on DCT transmissions so honda might have something amazing in mind with this 3 clutch that'll make it better than a DCT or CVT, but who knows at this point... maybe they'll only use it on high end car due to the undoubtedly high cost to produce such a thing.

·
Registered
876 Posts
The Dart overall was just a horrible product, horrible enough that I think Dodge might be doing some major changes to it. If they don't have plans to do it any time soon, one thing for sure is they need something.

I think even the Neon did better back when it was released.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
The Dart overall was just a horrible product, horrible enough that I think Dodge might be doing some major changes to it. If they don't have plans to do it any time soon, one thing for sure is they need something.

I think even the Neon did better back when it was released.
Well i don't disagree with you that the dart is just awful... it had so much promise and from what i've read it handles pretty well... but it's heavy, under powered and the interior is typical dodge cheap. I was just pointing out one of the many flaws of the dart.

Actually word is that FCA is doing away with the Dart AND the Chrysler 200 because of slow sales on both cars. No doubt they'll come back with something better (i.e. sourced from fiat) but honestly the reviews i read of the fiat engines don't seem all that great... for a company that's supposed to have all this italian sport heritage their engines sound pretty average in terms of performance.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can't really say I'll miss the Dart as it really had nothing to offer the world compared to its competitors. Horrible automatic transmission that harshly and abruptly shifts.

Honda and Acura doesn't really have much high end models to put a 11 speed transmission into besides the NSX. Gonna need a halo car to put it in if they successfully patent it.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I can't imagine the NSX having an 11 speed trans.. just seems wrong. Set that aside, it'll be adding more weight to an already bloated vehicle. Plus the added price to a vehicle that's quite expensive for in the segment it's in considering the other vehicles it's competing with.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I can't imagine the NSX having an 11 speed trans.. just seems wrong. Set that aside, it'll be adding more weight to an already bloated vehicle. Plus the added price to a vehicle that's quite expensive for in the segment it's in considering the other vehicles it's competing with.
Unless they do the rumored type R version that ditches all the hybrid, goes RWD and gets a power bump from the twin turbo v6 ;D but in that case im sure the current 8 speed DCT would do fine, but who knows...

HOWEVER... motortrend just reported on this patent, according to officials at honda, they confirmed that yes, the patent was filed but there are exactly zero plans for production. So even if this does get made, don't expect it on anything honda or acura for a good 5-10 years, if ever.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Unless they do the rumored type R version that ditches all the hybrid, goes RWD and gets a power bump from the twin turbo v6 ;D but in that case im sure the current 8 speed DCT would do fine, but who knows...

HOWEVER... motortrend just reported on this patent, according to officials at honda, they confirmed that yes, the patent was filed but there are exactly zero plans for production. So even if this does get made, don't expect it on anything honda or acura for a good 5-10 years, if ever.
And that my friends closes this issue lol. Call it a day.

Thank you very much !

·
Registered
1 Posts
Only a screwdriver would be enough for easy installing the Wireless Backup Camera. However, there is a special offer, too, which brings three ways to install the camera and the monitor. You can use different models for this reversing camera.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts