10th Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Honda has given us some concrete info on the Civic debut. It isn't debuting at an auto show. Instead, Honda has decided to unveil the 2016 Civic sedan in two simultaneous events on September 16th -- one in Detroit and the other in LA.

The events will only give us a look at the design of the Civic. Honda is going to keep details on engines, fuel economy, horsepower and torque secret until next month. We also won't get a look at the coupe or hatchback models until a later date. The sedan should give a good idea of what the other variants will look like.

Expect information on the engines to be revealed in October, and the Civic should be in dealerships this fall.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2015/08/2016-honda-civic-sedan-debuting-september-16.html

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Good choice by choosing just about the largest automotive industry event, that being NAIAS 2016 in Detroit.

LA (this November) is going to be where they'll show design and Detroit (Jan 2016) where we'll get to know most of what we need to know.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I posted about this yesterday, but it's good to see other sources saying similar things. But i really need to gripe about Honda's practices in releasing cars lately...

I understand wanting to build hype and get people talking... but they go about it in the worst way possible it seems.

The perfect example is the Acura NSX... they teased the concept model, what, 2 years ago? Then a second concept model. Now they've revealed the production car but still haven't given solid specs or an on sale date. They built up hype and then effectively killed it by stretching it out too long. Granted i know there were engine issues relating to the NSX which delayed its official release... but... what i read online, nobody even cares about the NSX anymore. It's become old news. They've been teasing and talking about the car so long that everyone has given up and lost interest.

Then they debuted the refreshed accord coupe and sedan on that online streaming thing in Silicon Valley. Nobody saw it. Which means anyone who doesn't read the auto mags won't even know the accord got refreshed and has class competitive tech again. Not that Honda has to work real hard to get people on lots, but, someone who is in the market for a midsize is going to hear about and see the huge releases for other redesigned models and not even know the accord has the same tech and features to offer now.

Now the civic... They show the concept and give the most vague release date they can. Yes, we can assume this month or that month on most things. Now they've given us a debut date... but its the sedan only. Why? Why not the coupe as well (the eye catcher in terms of appearance). The coupe and sedan are mechanically the same car with only very minor differences in suspension setups and trim options. Why stretch out things by not showing off the production coupe at the same time, when there is only going to be a delay of a few months between their on sale dates? Also... this debut is style only. No specs on engine, fuel consumption, pricing, etc. No, that waits until next month literally right before they go on sale. If i was someone who wasn't dedicated to the civic and was looking at my options what am i going to do? Go get the car i actually know something about? Or hold out hope that when the specs do come out i'm happy with them? Lost sales again.

I can understand delaying the Si debut, those are still some time away (spring 2016) and being special variants they deserve their own spotlight. I can only think that honda is going to do the same with the Type R next year. Tease and tease people until they lose all interest and go with a competitors car.

I just don't understand honda's thinking on these releases. Debut the coupe AND sedan. Give the basic specs and trim break downs. Save the finer details for release, but make a big splash by showing off the bread and butter models together. Instead, tease and make people wait, get impatient, lose interest and end up going for one of the many other new options coming out before or around the same time as the new civic.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good choice by choosing just about the largest automotive industry event, that being NAIAS 2016 in Detroit.

LA (this November) is going to be where they'll show design and Detroit (Jan 2016) where we'll get to know most of what we need to know.
Honda isn't debuting the Civic at NAIAS and the LA Auto Show. It is hosting separate events in the two cities that will occur at the same time, and those events will happen on September 16th.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Honda isn't debuting the Civic at NAIAS and the LA Auto Show. It is hosting separate events in the two cities that will occur at the same time, and those events will happen on September 16th.
Exactly. The Sedan will already be on sale by time the auto shows role around (and possibly the coupe too).

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's supposed to be on sale in October, so everything should be revealed by then. Not sure about the other variants though. Who knows.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
It's supposed to be on sale in October, so everything should be revealed by then. Not sure about the other variants though. Who knows.
Sedan in October... coupe, no idea, probably no more than a 2-3 months delay after the sedan releases (but at least we'll have specs to go off of).

Si can be assumed pretty assuredly for Spring 2016 (early summer at the latest) especially if they debut at SEMA like they have in the past.

Type R is up in the air. The Euro model has AT LEAST a year left to run it's current form, possibly longer than that. Most likely we'll start seeing more info on it this time next year.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Sedan in October... coupe, no idea, probably no more than a 2-3 months delay after the sedan releases (but at least we'll have specs to go off of).

Si can be assumed pretty assuredly for Spring 2016 (early summer at the latest) especially if they debut at SEMA like they have in the past.

Type R is up in the air. The Euro model has AT LEAST a year left to run it's current form, possibly longer than that. Most likely we'll start seeing more info on it this time next year.
Unless they show us the coupe at Frankfurt ;)

·
Registered
959 Posts
Oh and while the debuts aren't IN frankfurt, they take place during the Frankfurt news cycle. The 16th is the day before Frankfurt opens to the press...

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
As long as they release the coupe for sale this year or spring next year then they shouldn't lose too many people from disinterest but it would be nice to see the coupe alongside the sedan or at least hear more about it at the upcoming auto shows.

·
Registered
959 Posts
As long as they release the coupe for sale this year or spring next year then they shouldn't lose too many people from disinterest but it would be nice to see the coupe alongside the sedan or at least hear more about it at the upcoming auto shows.
IMO they're probabaly banking on the coupe and sedan attracting different demos... Not to mention couple sales typically drop off during the winter doldrums...

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
The coupes seem to have a loyal following, people are more passionate about them then they are about the sedans which with the sedans folks find it easier to look towards the competition if need be.

So if people have to wait 3-6 months or more, chances are a large portion of them will.

·
Registered
991 Posts
It also just makes sense to put on sale the variant that is going to move the most volume. The other variants are just a little more niche, so they can be held back.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
It also just makes sense to put on sale the variant that is going to move the most volume. The other variants are just a little more niche, so they can be held back.
Absolutely, and honda always has put the sedan on lots before anything else. I'm just hoping they stick to what they've done in the past and there is only at most a 2 month gap until we see the coupe hitting dealerships. That would time early spring perfectly for the new Si models (and tax return season).

I don't know why i care so much. I can't even get a new car for another 23 months. so i've got time to wait. I'm just impatient and really wanna see the coupe in all its glory. haha.

·
Registered
991 Posts
I would assume that the coupe won't take too long to come out after the sedan. No reason why it should. Doing it a few months after allows them to keep the Civic in the news longer and really prolong the launch, which will benefit sedan sales.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I would assume that the coupe won't take too long to come out after the sedan. No reason why it should. Doing it a few months after allows them to keep the Civic in the news longer and really prolong the launch, which will benefit sedan sales.
With both the 8th and 9th gen there was about a 6 week difference between the sedan and coupe. And technically the coupe was on sale, they just weren't on lots yet.... dealers always said it had something to do with them shipping them down from Canada versus shipping them from the Ohio factory.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
By the time the 10th Gen Civic is available in Canada it could be spring time. May as well wait until the weather is perfect for driving before getting a new car.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Well, i have another 2 years on my current lease and unless honda would be willing to get me a new 10th gen coupe EX with 1.5T auto for no money down and the same monthly payment as my current coupe, then i'm waiting and saving up for a down payment. lol. I just really want them to hurry up and release so i can see them and go test drive.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
By the time your lease is up, the coupe should be out and then you can compare both! I want to test drive one in the snow as that will be the ultimate test for me and my final decision will be based on how well it handles in a snow storm.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts