10th Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

When Honda unveiled the 10th Generation Civic on Wednesday night it was abundantly clear that this is not your fathers Honda Civic. Borrowing from Europes finest, Honda is seeking to conquest luxury compacts.

The spec sheet certainly reads like something European, multilink rear suspension, hydraulic bushings, standard automatic climate control, leather seats that are heated front and rear, adaptive cruise control, torque vectoring and more.

Honda gambled that post recession peoples appetites would demand cheapness above all else. How wrong they were, “They have to launch well just to counteract the impression they left with a lot of people the last time around,” Karl Brauer, senior analyst at Kelley Blue Book, told Automotive News. “Even in a recession people don’t want to feel like they’re buying a cheapie car. They needed to go the opposite way with this new model, so that’s exactly what they’re doing.”

When development on the 10th Civic began back in 2012, Honda had one overarching target, compact luxury buyers. Engineers complied, using Audi's A3 as the benchmark.

“We are bringing more new technology and innovative thinking to Civic than ever before to establish a new benchmark for fun-to-drive performance, fuel efficiency, safety performance and refinement in the compact class,” said American Hondas Executive VP John Mendel.

Refining the segment they are, Honda will be offering the Civic with Adaptive Cruise Control with Low-Speed Follow for the first time in any Honda, while Collision Mitigation and Lane Departure should change how consumers define value in segment.

The luxury fixation didn't stop with the technology however, Mendel added that the new Civic has features and an interior designed to offer the most comfortable, sophisticated and premium-feeling cabin in the compact class. Additional sound deadening, soft touch materials and acoustic glass all add to the premium feel.

Pricing will be announced on October 19th and Mendel confirmed the 10th Gen Civic Sedan will be on dealer lots before Thanksgiving.

·
Registered
959 Posts
hmmm... I would actually be intersted to see the new Civic up against say Mercedes CLA... Not that I think that Honda will legitimately talk badge shoppers out of their monthly nut mercedes...

For the image seekers the Civic will always be a Civic, regardless of actual value... we're talking about people who value the image over value of the object... But for those who actually value the object... well I certainly think Honda has packed enough Content in there to warrant a VERY strong look (the word value is starting to look funny LOL)

·
Registered
29 Posts
wow. i don't understand where the acura ILX fits in all of this. other than simply just having the A badge, why would you choose it over this civic?

·
Registered
959 Posts
To be honest the ilx is in trouble...for now...can you just imagine whats going to go down when we get the acura civic. Ilx kinds of serves as the sportiest civic, so I would guess that eventually the ilx will probabaly get the 2.0T plus the dct...its already AWD...DUUUDDDDEEEE

·
Registered
959 Posts
Shoot im on mobile and cant edit... ilx doesnt have awd...but it will acura has said all models to get awd...plus the new platform will be shaeed with crv so you know its awd compliant

·
Registered
991 Posts
Design-wise, the rear looks comparable to something like a Volvo. I don't think that the front is really up to luxury standards. I find the grille to be pretty common. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Shoot im on mobile and cant edit... ilx doesnt have awd...but it will acura has said all models to get awd...plus the new platform will be shaeed with crv so you know its awd compliant
And there's the tunnel in the rear seat... something based on this platform is going to use AWD... Could be the CTR with SH-AWD...could be the ILX with SH-AWD... CR-V for sure...

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
And there's the tunnel in the rear seat... something based on this platform is going to use AWD... Could be the CTR with SH-AWD...could be the ILX with SH-AWD... CR-V for sure...

With the new platform being AWD compatible AND the fact honda lowered the floors in the civic the rear tunnel was inevitable. The flat rear floor was nice, but i rarely ever pack more than myself and maybe one passenger anywhere, especially since i drive a coupe.

It'll be very interesting to see honda/acura's applications of the new E-AWD in the next couple years.

·
Registered
94 Posts
If you look at the competition, Honda is simply filling the status quo. Mazda 3 has auto HIDs, auto climate control, auto wipers, led tails, and a host of other upscale features. The advantage Honda will bring to market will likely be its Apple Carplay and Android Auto experience; at least 6-12 months ahead of most others in this segment. Honda Lane Watch is also a nice-to-have.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
If you look at the competition, Honda is simply filling the status quo. Mazda 3 has auto HIDs, auto climate control, auto wipers, led tails, and a host of other upscale features. The advantage Honda will bring to market will likely be its Apple Carplay and Android Auto experience; at least 6-12 months ahead of most others in this segment. Honda Lane Watch is also a nice-to-have.
It's true. The civic fell behind and they're basically just playing catch up with the civic to meet the current class leaders like the mazda3 in terms of performance and features. I think honda will shine above in the fact that they benchmarked cars above the civic's class (audi a3) and weren't content to just make the civic even with the competition but to take it one step further and give it, so far, class leading specs from what we've seen.

If they really can deliver on the quiet cabin, ride comfort, fun to drive nature and back it up with real world handling performance numbers the civic will be more than just competitive, but top of the class. AND set a new standard for what people expect from the compact class which drives competition. As consumers huge companies like honda doing this is a win for us. Instead of resting on their laurels like toyota does most of the time, honda went above and beyond. The competition the civic generates means better and better compact cars from other automakers, and also forces honda to continue to strive for something better too.

·
Registered
991 Posts
It's true. The civic fell behind and they're basically just playing catch up with the civic to meet the current class leaders like the mazda3 in terms of performance and features. I think honda will shine above in the fact that they benchmarked cars above the civic's class (audi a3) and weren't content to just make the civic even with the competition but to take it one step further and give it, so far, class leading specs from what we've seen.

If they really can deliver on the quiet cabin, ride comfort, fun to drive nature and back it up with real world handling performance numbers the civic will be more than just competitive, but top of the class. AND set a new standard for what people expect from the compact class which drives competition. As consumers huge companies like honda doing this is a win for us. Instead of resting on their laurels like toyota does most of the time, honda went above and beyond. The competition the civic generates means better and better compact cars from other automakers, and also forces honda to continue to strive for something better too.
The Civic may well set a new standard for the segment, but many auto makers may not be quite so concerned with such a fate. The Honda HRV is an ok vehicle, but really hasn't quite lived up to expectations. With car sales moving to the CUV market, I think that automakers are ok with prioritizing CUVs and letting compacts sit for a little bit.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
The Civic may well set a new standard for the segment, but many auto makers may not be quite so concerned with such a fate. The Honda HRV is an ok vehicle, but really hasn't quite lived up to expectations. With car sales moving to the CUV market, I think that automakers are ok with prioritizing CUVs and letting compacts sit for a little bit.
I can see that part about other brands not being all that concerned about the civic with the new segments that have emerged and how one car can in some ways cross multiple segments all depending on what someone wants. So that could be helping them.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I can see that part about other brands not being all that concerned about the civic with the new segments that have emerged and how one car can in some ways cross multiple segments all depending on what someone wants. So that could be helping them.
I'd still be concerned with the civic, especially the coming hatchback... assuming it performs as well as the sedan and coupe do some people might see it as a cheaper/better performing alternative to the midsize or compact CUV class of cars. If they don't care about the ride height and the new civic hatch offers comparable interior space/storage, you could see cars in the HRV classification losing sales to the smaller, sportier, more fuel efficient civic hatch.

I don't at all think the hatch will dominate or cannibalize those sales... but if i was another automaker, i'd still be concerned with just how good the new civic is, and the fact it comes in 3 body styles to suit such a large demographic of people.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I'd still be concerned with the civic, especially the coming hatchback... assuming it performs as well as the sedan and coupe do some people might see it as a cheaper/better performing alternative to the midsize or compact CUV class of cars. If they don't care about the ride height and the new civic hatch offers comparable interior space/storage, you could see cars in the HRV classification losing sales to the smaller, sportier, more fuel efficient civic hatch.

I don't at all think the hatch will dominate or cannibalize those sales... but if i was another automaker, i'd still be concerned with just how good the new civic is, and the fact it comes in 3 body styles to suit such a large demographic of people.

·
Registered
959 Posts

But thats assuming the hatch is sold in the gamut of trims...I'm sticking with hatch being CTR exclusive...

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
But thats assuming the hatch is sold in the gamut of trims...I'm sticking with hatch being CTR exclusive...
I don't think so... not the way honda has specifically said "Sedan followed by the coupe, Si, and hatchback. And the new CTR is coming to america"

There is separation in how they've talked about the new civic range. They mention the hatchback AND the CTR... instead of just saying Hatchback CTR... i'm pretty sure we'll see base version hatches as well. Granted, they might be in a more restricted trim range. No Si, no 2.0L, maybe only in EX-T, EXL and maybe touring and they'll skip using the 2.0 in it since it is limited production for the US.. and the import costs versus how many they expect to sell, maybe the cheaper LX doesn't make much business sense when you factor in costs.

Quite a few other automakers like kia and hyundai for example, don't sell their hatchbacks in all trims, only in higher trims to offset the fact they don't sell as many as the sedans.

·
Registered
2 Posts

First post...

Whaaaat???? Awd? 2.0 turbo? I drive a '09 tsx 6MT. My only compliant is that it's fwd. if the ilx looks similar to the 10th gen civic and gets awd and the 2.0 turbo, it will be my next car. But it has to have a manual transmission. I don't care for dct. I don't care how much faster or efficient it is. I want 3 pedals and the amazing Honda gearbox.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
First post...

Whaaaat???? Awd? 2.0 turbo? I drive a '09 tsx 6MT. My only compliant is that it's fwd. if the ilx looks similar to the 10th gen civic and gets awd and the 2.0 turbo, it will be my next car. But it has to have a manual transmission. I don't care for dct. I don't care how much faster or efficient it is. I want 3 pedals and the amazing Honda gearbox.
Pretty sure the plan with Acura is to move most of its cars and SUVs to their new e-AWD system for their next model redesigns... so it wouldn't shock me to see the next gen ILX get a slightly detuned 2.0T from the type R with AWD. That would definitely help keep the ILX a step above the civic, which right now, it really doesn't have compared to the 10th gen.

·
Registered
2 Posts
According to Car and Driver, which spoke recently with Acura product planning manager Gary Robinson, Honda's luxury division could be gearing up to shoehorn the engine into the recently updated ILX – which itself is based on the Civic. "Acura is always going to get the best engines Honda makes," said Robinson. "Obviously a 2.0-liter turbo is more of a must-have in the luxury world than it is in the mainstream" market, suggesting that an ILX Type S could be in the works with upwards of 300 horsepower.

----

That was taken from an autoblog article from 7 months ago. Personally, I'd prefer an ilx version of the civic with the 2.0 turbo than the ctr. The ctr is a little too flashy for me and I won't be tracking the car or cornering at the limits of adhesion on public roads. my guess is that we won't see a type s version of the ilx for a while. Maybe late 2017?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts