10th Honda Civic Forum banner

Hondata flash pro vs Ktuner

15K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Deathklok 
#1 ·
Have already read a lot of the info and posts about these mods. Just have a few questions that I haven't seen covered as I am looking at buying one of these.

You guys have mentioned a couple of times that you have detuned a little so not to damage the CVT. in this case if I did the same is it still worth buying it if it isn't being used to its full potentional ? Is there still fairly noticeable improvements?

And if I was to use these mods to there full potentional what type of possible damage am I looking at causing to the CVT? Is it pretty low risk?

Thanks in advance. Have already learnt a lot from everything I have read on this forum. You guys are legends.

Also I'm from Australia and I'm driving a 1.5L Turbo charged Sedan called a (Honda Civic VTI-L over here)

#2 ·
A review I wrote about the differences of Ktuner VS Flash Pro.

Ok so I own both Flash Pro and Ktuner and after completing custom tunes by VitViper tuning with both tuners I'm most definitely going to go with the Ktuner.Why?Well the key differences are that the Ktuner includes the ability to adjust WOT boost response,part throttle boost response and targets, boost by gear, DBW throttle response, full control over boost targets, full control over throttle whether staying wide open or not.
There's also the ability to make quick & simple adjsutments on the user end that includes spool up, throttle response, part throttle for guys using the included base tunes.After driving my car with the Flash Pro custom tune then driving with the custom Ktuner tune it's clear that the Ktuner delivers a MUCH better driving experience with my 2016 EXT CVT Sedan.My .02Lincolns

#5 ·
Actually Vitviper helped in the development of all the base tunes.There is the stage 2 complete calibration.Then 3 starter base tunes that offer various boost levels.Each of those have quick adjustments that adjust turbo spool,turbo ramp to name a few.Heres a screen shot.Also offered a sport mode using the econ button.

Attachments

#7 ·
That price diff definitely makes it worth researching... almost half price?
I've heard of Hondata, figure there's some support there, and the known user-base helps reassure those of us who want long-term reliability. Liking the recent clever updates like the Eco button toggling the tune back to stock tune...
I'd assume with Ktuner that there are reasons why it's so much less expensive? Is it totally on the user to custom-create their own tunes, for example?

Or is it a feature limitation - certainly that's something I'd want to dig into before committing to either... anyone have a comparison chart or that kind of thing?

#8 · (Edited)
Just scratching the surface here (perhaps should have before posing the questions above - but that's an accurate grab of thoughts anyone comparison shopping will have), but I found this on Ktuner's site, which may clarify and allow comparisons apples-to-apples:

from https://ktuner.com/16civicturbo/
What are my options?
KTunerFlash End User System – Hardware/software. Datalog And Make Your Own Changes! – $449
KTunerFlash V2 End User System – All-In-One Display/Flash Hardware+Software. Datalog and make your own changes – $649

If I'm understanding these both right, it seems like

At the ~$700 price point you have this:
  • Hondata tuner: an OBDII port interface to allow you to flash from a laptop using their software.
  • Ktuner has a self contained system (the "V2") with a 5" touchscreen, allows you to flash and monitor based on OBDII sensors without a laptop. Need a laptop to make tunes, but then you load them to save slots in the touchscreen unit, and can flash them at will without a laptop.

And at the ~$400 price point you have:
  • Hondata ($300): A one-time flash of a tune to your ECU (no way to restore back, if a dealer visit is required - this is just a one-way flash)
  • Ktuner ($450): essentially the Hondata $700 solution - an OBDII port interface to allow you to flash from a laptop using their software.
Let me know if I'm misunderstanding these.

If there are custom base tunes available from the experts at each company:
  • How does the performance compare?
  • Was factory reliability a consideration (and/or an explanation for differences in the performance comparison)?
  • Are there many custom tunes available, or am I on my own to try to create and save my own, and take the risk of that on myself?
  • etc.
Who's the local resident experts who can speak to these and answer these?

#9 ·
Just scratching the surface here (perhaps should have before posing the questions above - but that's an accurate grab of thoughts anyone comparison shopping will have), but I found this on Ktuner's site, which may clarify and allow comparisons apples-to-apples:

from https://ktuner.com/16civicturbo/
What are my options?
KTunerFlash End User System – Hardware/software. Datalog And Make Your Own Changes! – $449
KTunerFlash V2 End User System – All-In-One Display/Flash Hardware+Software. Datalog and make your own changes – $649

If I'm understanding these both right, it seems like

At the ~$700 price point you have this:
  • Hondata tuner: an OBDII port interface to allow you to flash from a laptop using their software.
  • Ktuner has a self contained system (the "V2") with a 5" touchscreen, allows you to flash and monitor based on OBDII sensors without a laptop. Need a laptop to make tunes, but then you load them to save slots in the touchscreen unit, and can flash them at will without a laptop.

And at the ~$400 price point you have:
  • Hondata ($300): A one-time flash of a tune to your ECU (no way to restore back, if a dealer visit is required - this is just a one-way flash)
  • Ktuner ($450): essentially the Hondata $700 solution - an OBDII port interface to allow you to flash from a laptop using their software.
Let me know if I'm misunderstanding these.

If there are custom base tunes available from the experts at each company:
  • How does the performance compare?
  • Was factory reliability a consideration (and/or an explanation for differences in the performance comparison)?
  • Are there many custom tunes available, or am I on my own to try to create and save my own, and take the risk of that on myself?
  • etc.
Who's the local resident experts who can speak to these and answer these?
I can help you out answering any questions you have.I have worked with Ktuner as a beta tester on both my EXT and Sport Hatchback.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.