10th Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just looking at the Hondata tuner on Procivic.com and realized there are two options for the tuner. One seemed like the normal option but then the other said CARB Exempt Version. I don't understand what the difference is, if anyone could help clarify it would be appreciated!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Most of New England, the west coast, Arizona, and New Mexico follow emissions rules set by the California Air Resource Board (CARB). Per those rules, it is illegal to modify a car with parts not approved by the board. Being CARB exempt means that version of the flashpro is legal for use on street cars in all 50 states, and that Hondata did a ton of paperwork.

Some folks say they have spoken with Hondata and that the base maps are the same.

·
Registered
382 Posts
so CARB exempt is same as saying it's CARB compliant?

i took it as the opposite of that...meaning that particular version is not legal in states that adhere to the CARB specifications.

however, i am totally new to this tuning and flashing and reflashing and such...i don't quite get it enough to have it done to my dd, so i could be way wrong here.

·
Registered
198 Posts
You will get a CARB sticker with your CARB Flash Pro. you can be tuned and legally pass emissions with the CARB Flash Pro. When you present your car for emissions you no longer have to flash back to stock to pass. You just show them the sticker. Thats why its a new model. They would not approve the other model because the original flash pro gives access to certain tables that can affect emissions. The CARB flash pro is locked down to the tune Hondata put on there that CARB approved. They are the exact tunes available on the regular Flash Pro.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So theres no difference at all in the performance? I just want to be able to get the +9psi tune and get the hp and tq gains without losing any power

1 - 7 of 7 Posts