10th Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

As the name suggests, Hondata is an aftermarket company that specializes in modifying standard Honda engine computers (ECUs) via a reflash of an external programming interface. Essentially, the company produced a turbocharged Honda Civics that’s more powerful than the factory Civic Si and offered autoblog a chance to test drive one.

By tuning a Honda Civic Sport hatchback with a manual transmission, Hondata managed to increase the stock turbo’s boost by 9 psi and tack on an extra 35 horsepower and 60 pound-feet of torque for an overall output of 225hp and 255 lb-ft of torque. This means the tuned Civic Sport is cranking out 20 more hp and 62 lb-ft more torque than its Si sibling and it was achieved with the car’s stock intake and exhaust systems.

There’s definitely more pull when the pedal was depressed compared to the Si and it could feel a bit overwhelming when accelerating in a corner, but the extra gains made it a blast to drive. They’ve even gotten the inside wheel spinning a few times when making a turn at an intersection. Substantial results for a $695 FlashPro tuner or you can even flash the ECU for just $350.

Not only does the Hondata tune add power, it also features a no-lift shift functionality. Meaning you no longer have to lift your foot off the gas pedal when depressing the clutch with your other foot. A sort of cheat code for quicker gear changes by keeping the turbo spooled when shifting.

This all sounds like a great deal compared to how much a Si costs, but we have to remember that the Si comes with improved suspension, limited-slip differential, and other creature comforts. It’s really down to what your budget is and what you value in a vehicle.

·
Premium Member
912 Posts
My ktuner tuned EXT is more powerful than the SI.Plus ktuner has adjustments than Hondata offers.My two cents

·
Registered
9 Posts
Question with the hondata. Is this only recommend for manuals?

I have a 2017 Civic Hatchback Automatic and would love to get this done. What would you recommend me doing? I am wanting to get an air intake as well.
Thank you,

·
Registered
228 Posts

I have a 2017 Civic Hatchback Automatic and would love to get this done. What would you recommend me doing? I am wanting to get an air intake as well.
Thank you,
I just did the Hondata +6PSI tune on my CVT Sport HB and it's a blast, worth it!!!!

·
Registered
922 Posts
I can only imagine how much fun that would be when really hauling down the road. Consistently holding high boost all the way through because the lack of need to lift to shift!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Can anyone answer the question, will this void the Honda Warranty?
I was recently at my dealer and I was told that it would only void the warranty if they could prove whatever happened to your car is because of the tune. Also you can flash your cars ecu back to stock whenever you bring it in so they would not even know that you had a tune on it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The numbers do not add up. 225 HP? Stock is 180HP plus the 35 hp boost from the tune equals 215 HP. Correct? The Torque numbers do not add up either. ?????

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
The numbers do not add up. 225 HP? Stock is 180HP plus the 35 hp boost from the tune equals 215 HP. Correct? The Torque numbers do not add up either. ?????
The car is underrated from the factory...it is not 180 hp. With 91 octane, my guess is that it is around 190 hp at sea level from what we've seen. Keep in mind that Hondata is measuring using wheel horsepower; that is, the actual amount of power that makes it to the wheels (the transmission and drivetrain reduce power a bit due to friction losses). So, when Hondata publishes power gains, it is based off the difference in wheel horsepower.

·
Premium Member
217 Posts

Thank you,
The FlashPro is not just for manual transmissions. It works extremely well with the CVT ones too. I've had a chance to drive a FlashPro tuned 2016 Sedan CVT and it is very fast. It feels almost faster than our 2017 EXT manual shop car just because there is no shift delay.

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
i would say the tune is looking really good!
im getting mine next summer for sure ;)
ill probably do the +6 psi at first and test it out later on the run with my buddy who is really good with program

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just did the Hondata +6PSI tune on my CVT Sport HB and it's a blast, worth it!!!!
I too just bought a 2018 Civic Sport Hatch and only did a +6 reflash. WOW let me tell ya theres a bridge crossing Ks to MO and stopped early sat am at start of stretcth to really see. if you shift right around 550-6500 it pulls crazy and never drops below 4500+ rpms till in highest gear. next is Intake,2" drop by D2 then as i save innercooler setup then switch to ktuner. Any advice guys on accent color for H badge not red and my rims are 18" black and gunmetal. i thought covering the black, and plastidipping the gunmetal would be neat. Im a sleek less is best guy. I like metalic purple or chameleon

1 - 14 of 14 Posts