10th Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've decided that I'm going to buy a 2016 Honda Civic Touring, and I'm just starting to look at price negotiation. So to give me some approximate idea of what price I can expect to get it for, what did everyone who has purchased one end up paying for theirs?

Obviously I'm looking for base price without the taxes and such added, since those will vary by state.

So far, I've gotten some quotes through TrueCar and Edmonds, but I'm expecting that if they're willing to give me those prices based on just a price request that I've got some room to haggle yet. I'm just wondering how far I can expect to be able to push it. :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I'll add that the best quote I've been given so far is a base price of $24,183. But that particular dealer wanted to tack on a $595 "protection package" and $599 in admin fees... Yeah, nope. I haven't gone back to them yet to see if I can get them to drop those, as I'm trying to determine how much lower to try to push them on the base price first.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Funny how dealers are trying to tack on those fee's to these Civic's, that's something I would expect on the Type R version but not this especially with the competition and how quick they'll be able to lose someone wise with their money that's aware of their options.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Funny how dealers are trying to tack on those fee's to these Civic's, that's something I would expect on the Type R version but not this especially with the competition and how quick they'll be able to lose someone wise with their money that's aware of their options.
Yeah, I live in an area (Washington, DC) where there are a *lot* of Honda dealerships. I'm more than willing to play all of them against each other (in fact, I consider it kind of fun, so I'm probably their worst nightmare customer >:)). If I lived in an area where there was only one dealer in a hundred mile radius, I could see them getting away with these kinds of games. Here, not so much. Yet they try anyway.

I just told another dealership who had a $3k difference (seriously?) between their base price and the out the door price that they're going to have to do "considerably better than that." Will see what they come up with.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Paid 33k for mine OTD, was 26.5k before everything (I have a 3.5% apr because **** credit score and I also wanted the extended warranty)

·
Registered
11 Posts
California tax, document fees, extended warranty, some alarm, etc etc

iirc the extended warrant was ~2k and california sales tax is like 10% or some bs so thats like ~4,5k slapped straight on right there

But of course the 33k is with my 72 month financing, if I pay it off in 36 i think the final total is ~31k instead or something

·
Registered
59 Posts
California tax, document fees, extended warranty, some alarm, etc etc

iirc the extended warrant was ~2k and california sales tax is like 10% or some bs so thats like ~4,5k slapped straight on right there

But of course the 33k is with my 72 month financing, if I pay it off in 36 i think the final total is ~31k instead or something
You should cancel the extended warranty and buy online.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just bought an EX-T model today out the door for $23,000 after tax and all with a life time engine warranty at clawson honda here in fresno. took about 5 hours of negotiating. Their first offer was $24,500 before tax, but with time and much patience i feel 23k otd for the EX-T is phenomenal. I decided to get the modern steel with gray cloth seats. Any thoughts??

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I ended up at $26,800 out the door (taxes and fees included) for the Touring. More than I've heard that some others have paid (and more than I wanted to pay), but it didn't seem like I was going to argue them any lower. The dealer that I ended up buying from told me it was a matter of "supply and demand" right now. Weird because I have yet to see another Touring on the road in the time that I've been looking, so it doesn't seem like demand is that high!

Who knows, maybe if I hadn't been set on getting the cosmic blue I would have had more leverage since only a couple of dealers in the area even had that color in stock. I did manage to talk another dealership into going a little over a hundred lower, but then it turned out they only had black and had no idea when they'd be able to get me a cosmic blue, and wouldn't guarantee the price. I decided that for the difference I wanted the car now in the color I'd set my mind on.

Oh well, I got them to throw wheel locks and splash guards in with it at that price, I guess that's something. Haha.

Anyway, love the car, and I'm sure I'll pretty much forget how much I paid for it in a few months. :)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Good thread, will help me shop. Can we just make sure we are posting the cost of car + delivery fee though? As noted above, taxes and reg. fees will vary from state to state. And this thread is for TOURING model. Oh, location of dealership will help too.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
The cost of the car for my Touring was $24,608. Destination charge was $835, which seems to be the standard (at least around here -- every dealer I looked at listed the same amount). I also couldn't talk my way out of the $300 "processing" charge. With taxes added on, it was $26,800 total. This was in the Washington, DC area.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I hate those dealer fees. Luckily, some states have a cap on them by law. Last car I bought from Maryland dealer had a 200 dollar cap.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts