10th Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am just wondering what people paid when they purchased a 3 year extended warranty with $0 deductible . I didn't know it but apparently I purchased it when I bought the car... I later learned my dealer wasn't the most honest dealer and has been sued in the some of $2 million dollars.
Does anyone know if you can cancel an extended warranty after purchasing it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My dealer was selling Crappy warranties, for $1600 which were not Honda.... I want Honda warranty because in my mind they have deeper pockets than some no name company... he obviously has higher profit margins by not selling Honda but I just bought 2017 EX-L and called, Lynn @ College Hills Honda, Ohio and she just sold me an 8yr - 120k $0 deductible warranty on a credit card for $1010.00 I could not be any happier...

Yes you can cancel warranty and get all your money back.

·
Registered
18 Posts
$3500 for 5 year/100K and service plan. Finance guy just would not hear "No I don't need that" so I went along with it to humor him. Filed the cancellation paperwork the day after Christmas.

·
Registered
382 Posts
should have just said...mention the **** warranty again...and deal is off, i'm out of here. yes, it does work. Toyota tried this same tactic few years back when getting the ex a new car. we were on our way out. (it was a company car that she got an allowance for....it's replaced every 2 years, regardless of mileage. kept telling the finance guy this...no need for warranty, we are replacing it in two years). kept trying to ram it down our throats..as well as tire/wheel protection, rustproofing...interior protection, glass etching.

i said, if a toyota needs all that after only 2 years of ownership, guess this will be last toyota we purchase (and it was).

·
Registered
198 Posts
should have just said...mention the **** warranty again...and deal is off, i'm out of here. yes, it does work. Toyota tried this same tactic few years back when getting the ex a new car. we were on our way out. (it was a company car that she got an allowance for....it's replaced every 2 years, regardless of mileage. kept telling the finance guy this...no need for warranty, we are replacing it in two years). kept trying to ram it down our throats..as well as tire/wheel protection, rustproofing...interior protection, glass etching.

i said, if a toyota needs all that after only 2 years of ownership, guess this will be last toyota we purchase (and it was).
For real. My Honda finance guy begged me to get the warranty, he started saying it was going to be ONLY $100 more a month on my payment. I nearly rolled out of my chair laughing. I even asked him, people actually say yes to that, do I have stupid mother F****R written on my forehead. Anyhow, he came down to $50 a month and said, look. Im not paying $5 more a month than what is already agreed upon. Guess what, somehow I got 5/60 for only $2 more a month than what I started at. But I really wanted to just walk away. The finance nearly ruined a wonderful dealer experience and made sure to tell the GM that when he walked me to my new car.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I know, I fail at negotiating. Always have. Not just with cars, but everything.

I hate the finance part of buying a car. I hate that the finance guy is always just a jumped-up salesman, and salesmen think "NO" means "Convince me."

·
Premium Member
912 Posts
For real. My Honda finance guy begged me to get the warranty, he started saying it was going to be ONLY $100 more a month on my payment. I nearly rolled out of my chair laughing. I even asked him, people actually say yes to that, do I have stupid mother F****R written on my forehead. Anyhow, he came down to $50 a month and said, look. Im not paying $5 more a month than what is already agreed upon. Guess what, somehow I got 5/60 for only $2 more a month than what I started at. But I really wanted to just walk away. The finance nearly ruined a wonderful dealer experience and made sure to tell the GM that when he walked me to my new car.
I nearly blew my rootbeer outa my nose when I read this.Bravo:laugh:

·
Registered
32 Posts
I rarely walk out of a dealership feeling like I got a deal, but this time I believe I did.
My dealer offers a lifetime powertrain warranty free on every new Honda sold. On top of that, they offer a lifetime "bumper-to-bumper" warranty from Honda. They wanted $2500 for it. I asked why I needed it, since the finance guy just finished bragging about Honda reliability. He laughed, and said Nothing is perfect". I was able to push back long enough, he sold me the warranty for $1200.
So...I have a lifetime bumper-to-bumper warranty, and paid $27k out the door for a '17 EX-L Navi.
I read all the fine print on the warranty before signing, and it allows me to do my own service, as long as I keep receipts. Easiest way for me, is to just buy the parts from Honda. My wife keeps cars forever, so I feel this was a pretty good investment.

·
Registered
922 Posts
See this is gold right here. This is how you deal with them! Kudos my friend. What did the GM say ?!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I bought the extended warranty from Leith Honda in Raleigh for my 2016 CR-V as it doesn't take much like an A/C compressor failure (Daughter's Civic and my 12 month and 3 day old Plymouth Voyager) to make you glad you go it. Vehicles are too complicated to not have it if you are keeping any length of time. Admitted it is a huge profit maker or they wouldn't offer it.

Son got it on his 2016 Civic from Leith Honda in Raleigh. Then when my wife replaced her POS Ford Focus (tough year, my Pilot had 251K on it, son's Neon had 200+K on it, and wife's Focus was a POS) from AutoPark Honda in Cary NC (sister dealership to Leith, all owned by the same person) we were about the get the extended warranty from that "wonderful" finance person, when suddenly we noticed it wasn't a Honda warranty but from something called CNA??? WTF. THEN we quickly found out that is what Leith sold both my son and I on our cars!!!!! None of us have Honda Warranties!!!! After much discussing we went ahead and got the 10yr/100K warranty through CNA as it was less expensive and covered a little more. BUT next time I am going in with this new knowledge and will have done my research beforehand.

I believe they know that by this point in the process, they know you just want to get the car and do.

When they sent the survey, I responded appreciating the honest of the Auto
Park person that clearly told us we were getting a non-Honda Warranty. Then I went back and re-did the feedback on Leith and racked hem over the coals for their lack of integrity.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I bought the extended warranty from Leith Honda in Raleigh for my 2016 CR-V as it doesn't take much like an A/C compressor failure (Daughter's Civic and my 12 month and 3 day old Plymouth Voyager) to make you glad you go it. Vehicles are too complicated to not have it if you are keeping any length of time. Admitted it is a huge profit maker or they wouldn't offer it.

Son got it on his 2016 Civic from Leith Honda in Raleigh. Then when my wife replaced her POS Ford Focus (tough year, my Pilot had 251K on it, son's Neon had 200+K on it, and wife's Focus was a POS) from AutoPark Honda in Cary NC (sister dealership to Leith, all owned by the same person) we were about the get the extended warranty from that "wonderful" finance person, when suddenly we noticed it wasn't a Honda warranty but from something called CNA??? WTF. THEN we quickly found out that is what Leith sold both my son and I on our cars!!!!! None of us have Honda Warranties!!!! After much discussing we went ahead and got the 10yr/100K warranty through CNA as it was less expensive and covered a little more. BUT next time I am going in with this new knowledge and will have done my research beforehand.

I believe they know that by this point in the process, they know you just want to get the car and do.

When they sent the survey, I responded appreciating the honest of the Auto
Park person that clearly told us we were getting a non-Honda Warranty. Then I went back and re-did the feedback on Leith and racked hem over the coals for their lack of integrity.
At least the word is getting out here for others to see which has me thinking that we should get a dealer feedback thread going. Not always do you see enough reviews out there on Google, Yelp, etc of dealers. Plus what better to see a review than owners on here.

Someone get this started!

·
Premium Member
912 Posts
I paid zero for 100k or 6 years.I told them I'd buy the car if they included a extended warranty for free.I have though bought all my Hondas at the same dealership for 8 years.

·
Premium Member
912 Posts

·
Premium Member
912 Posts
This is a little off topic, but has anyone run into issues with Honda not fixing tuned cars?
Flash back to stock?All though Ive never had a warranty issue on my tuned Civics.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Flash back to stock?All though Ive never had a warranty issue on my tuned Civics.
I currently use HP Tuners on my Camaro. Allegedly, the ECM saves flash data, so GM can see when the changes were made. If it isn't in their system, warranty void.

The Civic is my wife's car, so she won't let me mod it. She will have this car for a long time, and seeing as we have the lifetime warranty, it may be an issue down the road if I get the wife to cave;)

·
Registered
198 Posts
See this is gold right here. This is how you deal with them! Kudos my friend. What did the GM say ?!
He just said "sorry about that, he should have realized you have purchased other cars from us and not been so aggressive"

Lol for real, the GM totally doesnt care because if they dont ask, you can't say yes, and if 1 person a week or month says yes, they are getting PAID! He really just wanted the finance guy to be more aware of who they are talking to. I give that dealer all kinds of business too, because I take my wife's TSX to their Acura dealer next door for service

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm in Québec, and I took the 8 year, 200 000 km warranty through Honda Plus. This costed 2 300$.

I have 60 days to cancel without penalty. Most people I talk to say it's not worth it.

I am leaning towards cancelling, especially if I consider my own experience with my old 2007 Cobalt, which I purchased new and did basically zero maintenance except change the oil once per year, it only needed bearings, struts, and one sensor in 10 years before starting to give me security system problems.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Got 5 year 100k from my dealer for completely free no hidden fees nothing. Also got a all protect coverage for exterior and interior for 6 years and it's 5$ a month so if I ever wanted to trade my car in it would automatically be considered perfect condition.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just bought a 2017 Civic Coupe Touring from Dick Brooks Honda in Greer, SC. I go back there for the great sales staff who always deal with me and give me good trade-in values. It's always a pain to deal with the finance manager, though. When I got into his office he already had the paperwork filled out with GAP insurance and some 3rd-party warranty (Fidelity??) I told him to remove both of those and that I wanted Honda Care D82. He kept pushing for Fidelity and I kept saying no. He quoted me $2000for Honda Care 8yr/120000. I pulled out a quote from Saccucci Honda online for $1100. He said "they must be selling it at cost" and "I'll have to get the manager's approval". He came back and said he'd match it. I realize they're in business to make money, but jeez...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts