10th Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Poor headlight tests results cause a drop in IIHS top safety picks for new Civic. While still in the good class on everything else is there anything that can be done by owners to improve the headlights for the new Civics?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Poor headlight tests results cause a drop in IIHS top safety picks for new Civic. While still in the good class on everything else is there anything that can be done by owners to improve the headlights for the new Civics?
Buy a good set of HID bulbs and ballasts. I went LED's, (terrible throw down the road and useless in the rain), Silverstars (good color and decent distance better than stock in the rain)and HID (great throw, great color, and great visibility in the rain and in pitch black back road drving) all in the first 2 weeks of ownership. I ended up using the Morimoto HID Elite kit 35w 6500K from the Retrofit Source. Couldnt be happier

Attachments

Reactions: Neanderthal

·
Registered
15 Posts
This is such a joke. One day they have the Civic as top safety pick the next day not. These headlights are more than adequate to me. My 2010 Civic looked like it had no headlights compared to my 2016 Touring. These rankings are truly subjective and I am more than satisfied with the way the car was delivered to me.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Driving in Darkest Scottsdale on a moonless night, on a twisty hillside road with no streetlights, my Civic's headlights were absolutely fine. This study is bovine exhaust.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I think what puts the IIHS off so much isnt necessarily the brightness or dimness, it the glare they put on oncoming drivers which is a safety issue for the oncoming driver. If you are blinding them, thats as unsafe as our lights not being bright enough

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The IIHS now tests for headlights and a good rating is required to get the top grade. And why not?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Majority of vehicles failed that portion of the test. Not surprised the Civic did as well. Those lights are very nice however.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Buy a good set of HID bulbs and ballasts. I went LED's, (terrible throw down the road and useless in the rain), Silverstars (good color and decent distance better than stock in the rain)and HID (great throw, great color, and great visibility in the rain and in pitch black back road drving) all in the first 2 weeks of ownership. I ended up using the Morimoto HID Elite kit 35w 6500K from the Retrofit Source. Couldnt be happier
Appreciate this write-up. As a matter of course I usually replace stock headlight bulbs with Silverstar Ultra or whatever I can find to upgrade.

The last car I had with GREAT stock headlights was a 2007 KIA Spectra. Those lights were excellent.

Car price is not related to headlight quality. But given the state of the art, I'd think excellent lighting, both brightness and pattern, would be SOP for today's vehicles.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts