10th Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has any one successfully installed any apps onto their display? I know the display is basically an android tablet plopped on the dash and there is an option to install apps via an APK. Has anyone installed apps to the unit?

Seeing that its an android tablet, this brings up my next question/comment; MAN IS THAT OS VERSION OLD! Anyone know if honda would possibly post OS updates to the unit on the owners site?

PS - im in IT and an avid android enthusiast so pardon the geekery :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm in IT and an Android enthusiast also, so no pardon necessary! LOL

But I'd like to know the same... seems like you could root/unlock this thing somehow.

·
Premium Member
912 Posts

But I'd like to know the same... seems like you could root/unlock this thing somehow.
Pleeeeeeease use your knowledge to unlock the infotainment system.Ive been asking this question above with no real solutions yet.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Pleeeeeeease use your knowledge to unlock the infotainment system.Ive been asking this question above with no real solutions yet.
Pretty sure I read one of the taiwan guys rooted it but wont put it out there yet. For now, only apps that are built to be CarPlay or Android Auto compatible will show up. Amazon Music's latest Ios update is now compatible.

Reactions: Deathklok

·
Registered
1 Posts
It's been hacked!! A Chinese dude just got a way to install apps on Civic.

It's in Chinese though, but maybe I'll translate the article right after he finish it!
h tt p s://club.autohome.com.cn/bbs/thread-c-9901135-64320099-1.html

(some I can't put links because I'm new to here)

·
Registered
1 Posts

It's in Chinese though, but maybe I'll translate the article right after he finish it!

It has been for a few days now, also new here, but you can follow these two threads. The XDA thread has detailed instructions as well.

h tt p s://forum.xda-developers(.)com/android/general/guide-how-to-enter-developer-mode-2017-t3621582/page4

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well, i just sat and watched a 50 minute video on youtube where some dude managed to do it all! Unfortunately he switches from English to Portuguese or something... And his camera angles were all over the place. But he did give links (i couldn't access them for some reason.Was from this site too).

Now, i've only had my Civic 2017 Hatchback for 2 days. I've been rooting android phones and tablets for years. I'm sure we're all up to speed with all this. What we need is one decent youtube video, in ENGLISH, explaining it step by step. Unlocking developers options is easy. It's all the other command prompts that I really cant be arsed with. If only we had a GUI dedicated to this like Nexus root tool kit. However, if you can tolerate going through this guys step by step instructions (baring in mind the links he provided to this site seemed to be broken so i guess we'll have to look for alternative sources) then we can do this. All i want is Waze, Poweramp, google maps, google chrome (or actually Brave browser...no ads), Facebook and google photos. There's like, 3 empty pages on the homescreen in the civic. Surely we could fill them up with apps, widgets, whatever. This issue must be resolved. I got the jist of it on that 50 min youtube video but.....well....watch for yourself. If there was an award for the worst tutorial video on youtube. This guy would have a great chance of winning.

I hope someone out there knows how this is all done and will be crowned the king of 10thcivicforum! I'd actually donate. I'm not sure this post will be seen, but this is my only hope. Cheers to the admin for letting me in, and another cheers to anyone who can find a simple guide to perform what i thought would be a simple task. It's Android! Cant be that hard! Hope to hear from anyone soon. Take care.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
I have seen (on video) over a year ago, Waze and other app's functioning ,as well as video playing while in motion. This was on the new Honda Pilot which runs the same system. I have also seen lots of guys that were able to get the app icons on the screen without them able to function.

·
Registered
3 Posts

i just bought 2018 Civic EX 2.0L CVT Crystal black
No more browser apps nothing. I use Apple Carplay but cmon i decided this model VS the green sport which they talked me out of, saying mines loaded and this and that. i still have 5 weeks to register and 3 weeks till 1st payment. Either has anyone found out a way tobasically mirror iphone 7 on ios11.3.3 they took out the HDMI though they have HDMI to USB connectors would that work? My PNY 3.0 USB is worth;ess. you cant load your itunes movies u paid for lrt alone watch them. Or i wanna trade it back for a sport or EXT. HELP

·
Registered
5 Posts

I just installed honda hack after rooting it. Watch this guy. I am pasting link here. He explained step by step. Its very easy. I don't recommend watching videos while driving but you can install apps, watch youtube or netflix and other cool apps. I just did it today. Its like a smart tv now. But remember the guy who has hacked it and created honda hack, to get authorisation the system charges 10$ for basic package which does most of stuff installing apps and watching vids etc. Pro version gives way more features. Link is below. Be safe guys.
Note: don't watch videos while driving, think of your loved ones.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts