10th Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New owner of '16 Coupe..... Iphone 5c w/ios 10...... Had problems using the phone button on the wheel to make calls. Through the Honda link system, VR was very bad... If I held down the same button for "siri" I got a mechanical voice and also wasn't able to make calls. Car play was also intermittent often taken minutes to show up on the screen.

So I switched to a spare 5c with ios 9..... Everything worked much better..... so it seems to suggest that Honda needs to check for ios10 compatibility.

In terms of the Honda system....seems less "friendly" than others like Dodge. Honda doesn't attempt to resolve the name direct, instead it provides a list that you have to chose... just another step. Using Siri with the "phone" button on the wheel works much better........

·
Registered
382 Posts
don't expect car manufacturers to keep updating their systems everytime a phone update is issued. just like Honda gave up on the Android compatibility in the '14's & 15's....but, it works in the 16's. they might get it updated...but, if they don't...talk to apple about it. if it worked in OS9, they should have made sure that part of it stayed compatible in their most recent update.

·
Registered
198 Posts
don't expect car manufacturers to keep updating their systems everytime a phone update is issued. just like Honda gave up on the Android compatibility in the '14's & 15's....but, it works in the 16's. they might get it updated...but, if they don't...talk to apple about it. if it worked in OS9, they should have made sure that part of it stayed compatible in their most recent update.
They should put an update on the Honda Owners site and allow the owner to download and update to a USB stick that you could then plug in your car and update the software. It shouldnt be hard. And with as much as phone companies update phones, if Honda wants to offer that tech, they should offer to update the software as long as the hardware is still compatible.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Too bad with iPhones you can't downgrade since sometimes that works, but from experience once you go to a new build you can't go back. I think with android you can indeed go back to whatever build you want, or its just easier.

·
Registered
382 Posts
dallas...that is what a lot....ALOT of owners suggested they do with the 14 civic and the mirrorlink. the sales department pushed that and pushed it...kept saying it was due out in the summer....then, the fall...then the winter...and people kept calling and asking their dealers and Honda...until finally Honda said, not going to pursue the patch/update to get Android to work. With every update, they change something that will not allow our current software to work with. When the car was initially engineered, the system worked. but, with android updates, it fell behind and honda didn't want to mess with it.

now, if apple wants to issue and update so it works with cars...that would be the more logical choice.

what were we to do...trade our cars because the phones didn't work like advertised? i was very disappointed, still somewhat am. and was seriously and will consider other models when time comes. one thing i will do...is make sure the technology that the manufacturer/dealer CLAIM to have, works as advertised before buying anything. no more hearing - "it's coming" bullshit..

after much trying and testing, some got their phones to work...but most were the HTC phones. even the apple phones with the $90 cable were having glitches and were very buggy.

another good example: homelink has updated their openers and software thru the years..but, some cars aren't compatible with the 'updates'. however, HOMELINK provides a repeater so your car can remain useful. Apple should do the same...but we all know they won't.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Doubt Apple will roll out updates just to their software will work with Honda's system. You can downgrade your newer phone to ios 9 but it's a pain to do so and the process will erase everything on your iPhone.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts