10th Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Those of you that have driven or purchased a new civic with the honda sensing, do you feel that it is worth the extra cost or is it just a gimmick?

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Those of you that have driven or purchased a new civic with the honda sensing, do you feel that it is worth the extra cost or is it just a gimmick?
Most reviews of the sensing have been positive so far. It really comes down to personal preference. Some people like the extra piece of mind knowing the car is looking out for them. Others don't feel the need or don't like the nannies interfering with their driving.

I personally wouldn't get it. I'm a good driver and am very observant on the road at all times of other drivers. My mother would love it, she's getting up there in age and could use the extra nannies to help watch out for her.

So really, it's a great system, just comes down to whether you want/need it enough to spend the money on it.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
For me, I would turn off all functions I could but the one function I would absolutely love is the auto cruise control. I have used it on a long trip in a Jeep Grand Cherokee and one of the brand new S-Class sedans and that is amazing. I mean wow, that is a truly killer feature for someone doing freeway driving and if you've never tried it do so before buying if you are on the edge. I plan on testing it out myself in person on the Civic and deciding then on if I need it or not.

Also, most insurance agency's will offer you a discount if you have collision avoidance tech on your car. If it saves $9 a month for those keeping their car a long time then it is free after 10 years or so. Higher resale I would expect too.

·
Registered
21 Posts
For me, I would turn off all functions I could but the one function I would absolutely love is the auto cruise control. I have used it on a long trip in a Jeep Grand Cherokee and one of the brand new S-Class sedans and that is amazing. I mean wow, that is a truly killer feature for someone doing freeway driving and if you've never tried it do so before buying if you are on the edge. I plan on testing it out myself in person on the Civic and deciding then on if I need it or not.

Also, most insurance agency's will offer you a discount if you have collision avoidance tech on your car. If it saves $9 a month for those keeping their car a long time then it is free after 10 years or so. Higher resale I would expect too.
That's what I really want it for. I tend to speed so whenever I approach slower cars or if someone cuts me off, the car will adjust its self. The other stuff is just, meh.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
The Lane Keeping Assist System used with the Adaptive Cruise Control would be useful on long trips. The other things aren't all that important. Depends on what you plan to do with your car and if you think you need it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The idea behind it is great, but I find the execution flawed. There is no audible warning if the LKAS loses track of the road and you start drifting outside of your lane. Likewise, there is no warning that the ACC has lost track of the vehicle in front of you -- meaning it will not brake for you even if they stopped (collision could occur).

Because of this, I consider these features "toys". Your foot still needs to be ready to brake and your hands need to be ready to take control of the wheel at an instant; Due to inconsistent performance, it felt really dangerous relying on the tech to help guide my vehicle.

Also, I found ACC to be very fuel inefficient -- it cannot intelligently predict when you should coast and instead performs a series of accelerations and braking. Its braking response time is definitely slower than if a typical driver were to brake themselves.

·
Registered
135 Posts
The idea behind it is great, but I find the execution flawed. There is no audible warning if the LKAS loses track of the road and you start drifting outside of your lane. Likewise, there is no warning that the ACC has lost track of the vehicle in front of you -- meaning it will not brake for you even if they stopped (collision could occur).

Because of this, I consider these features "toys". Your foot still needs to be ready to brake and your hands need to be ready to take control of the wheel at an instant; Due to inconsistent performance, it felt really dangerous relying on the tech to help guide my vehicle.

Also, I found ACC to be very fuel inefficient -- it cannot intelligently predict when you should coast and instead performs a series of accelerations and braking. Its braking response time is definitely slower than if a typical driver were to brake themselves.
that's why autopilot caused such a logical short circuit with people. Agree with your sentiments exactly!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Anyone who says they have never had a momentary lapse of attention due to distraction or fatigue while they've been driving is either lying or is a cyborg. Unfortunately such a lapse can have horrible consequences, whether you are driving in hours of stop and go traffic congestion or cruising at high speed. This sensor package is well worth the money if it mitigates or eliminates those consequences. It will not be long before this package is as standard as ABS, airbags, and backup cameras. Remember when you had to pay extra for ABS? Some drivers on this forum have probably never driven a car WITHOUT ABS. For those drivers who have driven both, with and without, and have had the experience of making emergency stops on wet or snowy surfaces with both types of brakes, there is no question whether they feel the technology is worthwhile. I have no doubt these sensor packages will be viewed the same way as the technology matures.

·
Registered
991 Posts
The collision mitigation braking system can prevent you from rear ending people as well as crashing into whatever else. Reviews have shown that the system can significantly cut down on accidents, the severity of accidents and death. Top safety awards only go to vehicles that are equipped with such software now.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I believe Honda Sensing is a great option to have on the market for those who choose the feature. However my question would be to my insurance company "why are we not given a small discount on our insurance for the added safely that plays such a crucial function?"

I am asking too much :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I believe Honda Sensing is a great option to have on the market for those who choose the feature. However my question would be to my insurance company "why are we not given a small discount on our insurance for the added safely that plays such a crucial function?"

I am asking too much :)
There are carriers that are offering discounts for the added safety features, but you have to shop around.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I would always pay the extra money for additional safety features and hope I'll never have to use them. Yes, I want that money to go to waste because I'd rather be safe than sorry. Sure you might be a Nascar driver, F1 champion, or a drift king and are the best driver in the world, but there is absolutely no guarantee that the teen driver behind you will keep a safe distance when he is on his phone texting.

As for another member mentioning how the Sensing has flaws and such, keep in mind that these features are here to assist you. They can only do so much. You as the driver should guide the car. Because all they can do is assist. Nothing more. Again, these features are not meant to be treated like auto-pilot, they are only assisting tools that help to keep us safe. Don't ever think that by having these features, I can now get on facebook once in awhile while cruising. After all, we are the one with a license, not the car.

Just my $0.02

·
Registered
441 Posts
I would always pay the extra money for additional safety features and hope I'll never have to use them. Yes, I want that money to go to waste because I'd rather be safe than sorry. Sure you might be a Nascar driver, F1 champion, or a drift king and are the best driver in the world, but there is absolutely no guarantee that the teen driver behind you will keep a safe distance when he is on his phone texting.

As for another member mentioning how the Sensing has flaws and such, keep in mind that these features are here to assist you. They can only do so much. You as the driver should guide the car. Because all they can do is assist. Nothing more. Again, these features are not meant to be treated like auto-pilot, they are only assisting tools that help to keep us safe. Don't ever think that by having these features, I can now get on facebook once in awhile while cruising. After all, we are the one with a license, not the car.

Just my $0.02
Totally agreed. I think it cause some people to be more risky because they have an extra safety net. But that shouldn't be the tact that everyone takes.

We are quickly progressing towards the auto pilot era though. I mean Tesla literally has a mode called auto pilot.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The Tesla Autopilot is a bit of a misnomer. It is the same as the Civic Sensing, except that it will let you take your hands off the wheel for 180 seconds compared to just 15 seconds on the Civic, and it will change lanes for you if you put on the turn signal.

Reactions: Nessuno

·
Registered
39 Posts
I like it

First, Im 67 years young.

Just returned form a trip to StL. and the features were very helpful.

I especially like the ACC and lane keeping function.

Was wondering about MPG being hurt when using the ACC. resuming set speeds the acceleration is much more than i would use. Not sure if this hurts MPG or not.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
The Tesla Autopilot is a bit of a misnomer. It is the same as the Civic Sensing, except that it will let you take your hands off the wheel for 180 seconds compared to just 15 seconds on the Civic, and it will change lanes for you if you put on the turn signal.
I think it's just the way they branded the tech in its current state that gave people higher expectations of it that what it's actually capable of.

In the end, it's just Tesla version of what else is out on the market from other brands.

·
Registered
205 Posts
The collision mitigation braking system can prevent you from rear ending people as well as crashing into whatever else. Reviews have shown that the system can significantly cut down on accidents, the severity of accidents and death. Top safety awards only go to vehicles that are equipped with such software now.
you sound like a press release.

you can also prevent yourself from rear ending people by not only paying attention but also maintaining a safe following distance allowing you the reaction time to keep from rear ending.

collision mitigation is a system that allows you to not pay attention. I saw it save a cyclists life the other day as this guy was testing and hit the go pedal only for the car to stop itself.

great...

·
Registered
205 Posts
Totally agreed. I think it cause some people to be more risky because they have an extra safety net. But that shouldn't be the tact that everyone takes.

We are quickly progressing towards the auto pilot era though. I mean Tesla literally has a mode called auto pilot.

the name autopilot is a semiotic short circuit. it's a meme...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts