10th Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now I don't want to do anything to the car right away but I'm just curious if a couple years from now there were will be a few easy ways to get some more horsepower out of the turbo models, or does the existence of a turbo already make it harder?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Now I don't want to do anything to the car right away but I'm just curious if a couple years from now there were will be a few easy ways to get some more horsepower out of the turbo models, or does the existence of a turbo already make it harder?
Impossible to know what may or may not happen a few years from now?

·
Registered
182 Posts
I would venture to say there will be plenty of bolt-on add-on's down the pike. Civic are everywhere, making for the perfect product to offer upgrades. Lots of VW Golf and Civic owners love to tinker with their rides.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
As a note some have said the other internals of the engine are not all that robust. Fine for stock use, but likely would have issues with say a 30hp boost, specifically the piston rods and a few other parts were mentioned when the internals of the engine were shown. So the potential is there, but it may well affect the reliability of the motor. As of yet no one knows, but so far people have said safe gains will be small.

The could be wrong, but for now that is where it stands.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I used to own an Audi Alroad with a 2.7 liter bi-turbo engine. There were quite a few options to change the chip in the ECU to allow for more boost. I got one of those chips and it made the car amazingly faster. The boost was incredible!! Unfortunately I had to remove it after a week because the auto transmission was behaving badly due to the additional boost. I would not be surprised if someone comes out with a similar type chip. I doubt I'd install it because the engine would experience more stress due to the higher boost. It would definitely effect the longevity of the engine.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I'm sure you will be able to buy various things that can make you go faster. Spoilers, exhausts, and the like have nothing to do with the engine. An ECU switch could also provide performance gains.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I assume in time people will come out with tunes, superchargers, etc since these things are available for the 9th gen civic but you may not want to install them after reading djasonw's experience.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Well you just have to be mindful of what you do, overall you can't go over the top since in some cases some components can't handle a good amount more than stock. Some transmissions are built STRONG and can take on double the power stock, but of course not in this case.

One good example that's a bit of a stretch from this discussion on the Civic is the 1993-1998 Toyota Supra, it had a STRONG transmission. Although the car put out 250-300 stock, guys tuning it to 1000+ still used the stock transmission.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts