Discussion Starter #1
LX/EX NA 2.0L I4 CVT/MT around 160hp as base engine

Optional engine is 1.5L Turbo 180-200HP

Si most likely 2.0L Turbo MT, maybe DCT [I HIGHLY DOUBT DCT] 240-250hp

Type-R 2.0L Turbo MT 280+hp

·
Registered
6 Posts
And I also wonder if the 10th gen could get the 8-speed DCT from the Acura ILX?
This is exactly what I want: the 8-speed DCT from the Acura ILX in the 10th gen 5-door Civic Si hatchback.

However, at the NY Auto Show, the Honda presenter was very careful to say that the only transmission options would be the 6-speed manual and a "Responsive and refined 'Honda' CVT with 'G-Shift' control."

The Honda press release calls it "a new, more sporty and efficient continuously variable transmission (CVT)."

Both of these statements suggests to me that the DCT is not an option, but that Honda is trying to assure us that the CVT will be "responsive and sporty."

I would prefer to have a DCT instead of a CVT, so I hope that this "new Honda CVT with G-Shift control" is as responsive as a DCT.

I don't get it. Honda already proved that they've mastered the DCT in the ILX, so why not offer the DCT in the Civic Si?

·
Registered
45 Posts
i'm just happy we're getting a manual.
due to my history of vehicles and what I prefer, manual is the ultimate way for me to go

·
Registered
7 Posts
If the Si is just getting a less tuned, smaller intake and exhaust Type R engine. That's a **** of a deal. Anyone with turbo knowledge knows a simple retune, psi bump, and maybe some improved intake/exhaust bolt ons = type R HP numbers.
Of course you still don't have all the Type R goodies.... like the "R" button ^.^

·
Registered
45 Posts
That will have BRZ, FR-S and 86 guys looking to sell out for the Type R, i'm sure by now a lot of them are tired of just 200hp :D

·
Registered
31 Posts
please no 1.5L turbo in the SI.

I would love to see them put the 2.4L earth dreams in the SI.

the perfect set up for me is hatch SI with a naturally aspirated 2.4L, putting out around 220hp, of course MT

·
Registered
876 Posts
please no 1.5L turbo in the SI.

I would love to see them put the 2.4L earth dreams in the SI.

the perfect set up for me is hatch SI with a naturally aspirated 2.4L, putting out around 220hp, of course MT
Here's some hope :)

A report from Automotive News suggests the 1.5-liter turbo VTEC unit will serves as the entry-level engine and may provide the same levels of power as the 2-liter, but with lower emissions. It's not going to replace the bigger engines for now, but if customers see the benefits, they might not want naturally aspirated VTEC any more.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I'm kind of thinking that the LX/SE will have the 2.0N/A as the base engine. EX/EXL will come with optional 1.5T (possibly standard on the coupe across the board) and the Si may keep the 2.4L in earth dreams guise and then the 2.0T for the R. I know in one article it was mentioned that if the 1.5T was popular enough it could potentially become the standard engine for all civic base models.

I'm thinking:
2.0L N/A has about 160hp/140tq
1.5T has about 170hp/190tq
2.4 N/A 225hp/195tq

I'd like to see at least 160hp for the civics across the board, the turbo possibly making between 170-180hp to compete with the likes of Scion tC, VW Golf, 2.0T Kia Forte, etc etc.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The optional 1.5T would be ideal but in terms of reliability it's still questionable. Might be good to lease for a couple years and go from there. Otherwise I think the Na options would be better for long term.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Is there any clarity on whether the base 2.0L is an R20 or a K20? Also, I think we're just going to have to wait and see on the Si engine, but I can almost guarantee that it will be a turbo something, because that's just the direction they seem to be going next.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It is a DOHC so it will be a DI version of the K series. A good thing, I was thinking cheap R20 also, I'm glad it is a K base engine. I think it will be a turbo too, say 260 to 285 HP.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I am also optimistic. If Honda follows Subaru's lead, we'll see a potent Si in the 260 HP range. With the extreme handling/chassis being reserved for the CTR.

·
Registered
98 Posts
From what the chief engineer said about the 1.5T in the TOV interview, it shares the bore/stroke with the L15 and that is about it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
sounds likely its the whole block, and the new top end was built for efficiency not for big power...
Well they made modifications to the block vs the standard L15, if it shares the block.

He literally said it just shares the bore/stroke and that is where the similarities end.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts