10th Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

My white Si Coupe arrived fresh off the truck at the dealer last night. The awesome sales lady I am dealing with has kept them from putting the front plate bracket on for me. The thought of drilling into the bumper is killing me.

I'm not well versed on turbo motors yet, so - question: If the front plate is mounted in the location shown in the attached pic, will it restrict airflow too much to the intercooler and cause problems?

Thanks and Happy 4th to all.

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
IMHO I think that looks ridiculous. Move to a state that doesn't require a front plate so you can sleep at night. It's just a car after all, and a Honda no less.

I have used riv-nuts in my bumper. Mainly for strength. But if I ever did move to somewhere that didn't require a front plate, a couple of bolt heads on the face of my bumper wouldn't look bad at all. If painted to match, no one would even notice them.

At least Honda supplies a front license plate bracket. Why don't you paint the bracket and make yours unique? With a white bracket and a nice black frame it might look pretty good.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm in Ontario. No choice on the front plate requirement. I just don't want to drill the front bumper. I had a Kia once and removed the plate holder while living in Indiana. It wasn't pretty.

Your idea is interesting, I may try that.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm in Ontario. No choice on the front plate requirement. I just don't want to drill the front bumper. I had a Kia once and removed the plate holder while living in Indiana. It wasn't pretty.

Your idea is interesting, I may try that.
Yeah, I know what you mean by "wasn't pretty" And many times the dealer doesn't even screw in the sheet metal screws level. In my mind, the trick is to get two nice and level holes, then use a rivnut and crimp it down. Now you can use a machine bolt. Heck even a flanged rivnut looks nice and clean as opposed to two out-of-level gnarled holes.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
:(To your original question,Yes that location will reduce the efficiency of your inner-cooler, to what extent would depend on ambient temperature and driving habits.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Rhoplate

Use a plate relocation kit from Grimmspeed or Rhoplate. They attach to the tow hook hole.

I went looking at Rhoplate and love the idea... as mine doesn't have holes drilled yet either. Do you know if there is one that works for sure? I went to their website and there wasnt one listed for a civic...

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm currently in the same boat. I understand the rules and regulations of Ontario but at the same time it's just a car and it still has a plate, still fully registered / insured. It's by no means malicious or deserving of a silly 110$ fine, hardly criminal but alas it's our "rules".

The idea of mounting via toe-hook mentioned above sounds like a viable method without having to drill holes into a perfectly mint bumper.

This could be a money maker for some brainer reading this. Figure out a way to sell a way to dealerships to mount plates without having to drill holes or pull paint off.

·
Registered
16 Posts
It somehow double posted.

><

·
Registered
16 Posts
I went looking at Rhoplate and love the idea... as mine doesn't have holes drilled yet either. Do you know if there is one that works for sure? I went to their website and there wasnt one listed for a civic...
I couldn't find one either, might have overlooked it. :/

1 - 12 of 12 Posts