10th Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! New 2017 Civic Sedan Touring owner here. So far I've put on about just under 600 miles on my car (bought it with 123 mi on it) and I'm averaging a combined 22 mpg, even with eco mode turned on. Seems awfully low. Anyone else experiencing this? I drive mostly in the city and I haven't been driving aggressively or anything.

Thanks in advance for any help!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi all! New 2017 Civic Sedan Touring owner here. So far I've put on about just under 600 miles on my car (bought it with 123 mi on it) and I'm averaging a combined 22 mpg, even with eco mode turned on. Seems awfully low. Anyone else experiencing this? I drive mostly in the city and I haven't been driving aggressively or anything.

It does much better with highway driving but everyday, mine isn't much better.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Are you basing this on real numbers or the indicator in the car?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have 35K on my 16 EX-T and was getting 34-36 in town and 40-42 on freeway with eco on 99% of the time. Switched to 92'ish octane and now getting 36-38 and 42-45. I commute 22 miles RT with 50% freeway. I also keep speed as close to 65 as much as possible. I think the speed was the largest factor as I was regularly hovering over 70 and partly with the change in gas. I verify my MPG at fill-up not relying on the cars info.

·
Registered
382 Posts
there are many, many factors that will affect mileage. we don't know what all the parameters are for your particular situation.

aire temps
octane
length of trip
how you drive
traffic
traffic lights
terrain
tire pressures
weight in car
oil viscosity
driving at night vs. driving in day
A/C on or not

list goes on and on.......

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
I have 35K on my 16 EX-T and was getting 34-36 in town and 40-42 on freeway with eco on 99% of the time. Switched to 92'ish octane and now getting 36-38 and 42-45. I commute 22 miles RT with 50% freeway. I also keep speed as close to 65 as much as possible. I think the speed was the largest factor as I was regularly hovering over 70 and partly with the change in gas. I verify my MPG at fill-up not relying on the cars info.
I agree that speed seems to be a large factor. With the CVT in the "D" range I find that the car holds the revs really steady at about 1,800 rpm (cruise control engaged) at 65 mph. If I increase to 70 mph the revs are generally still about the same, but small elevation changes or grades cause the car to increase the engine closer to 2,500 rpm. I think that this is where the fuel economy starts to slip, at least for me. I've taken a few 150-200 mile road trips with the car and I generally stick close to the speed limit on the interstate. I've found that my fuel economy at 75 mph is drastically worse than it is at 65 mph, and that 70 mph is still noticeably worse than 65 mph. I don't wish to be a road hog so I try to balance speed with traffic flow, but I'd be happiest if I could optimise economy by moving at the speed the car favours, even though it seems pretty happy to tool along at 90 mph.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been having the same issue with my '17 LX, I'm lucky if I get 200mi on one tank, but I never drive it till the light comes on so I'm filling it up every 150mi. Is this normal? I've had a '05 civic and a '15 accord and I never had these issues with those cars, maybe I was spoiled with a bigger tank??? I'm not sure...am I the only one? I took my car in this month bc my oil light came on at 2700 miles which is all weird for a new car/first oil change. Honda service at the dealership was really in help saying that I should drive it more and that that are mailing the civics bigger ( my 05 was the same size as this car) the did a diagnostic test where they drive it on the hwy and they they didn't find anything wrong with it. I keep the eco button on, west else should I do.

·
Premium Member
912 Posts
I get the best MPG with 91 octane E-10 gas and keep it under 65 MPH.At 55 MPH I've gotten as high as 46 MPG on a 100 mile drive on a rural country HWY.These numbers are pretty much the same on both my EXT and Sport Hatchback.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Still on my first tank, I have no idea what octane it came with, and I'm not a "try to go at a steady 65mph" to save gas. I just drive however I want to and don't worry about it. Not posting the speeds I was doing, lol. But anyway, mine seems to be doing good so far...

Attachments

·
Registered
167 Posts
I've been having the same issue with my '17 LX, I'm lucky if I get 200mi on one tank, but I never drive it till the light comes on so I'm filling it up every 150mi. Is this normal? I've had a '05 civic and a '15 accord and I never had these issues with those cars, maybe I was spoiled with a bigger tank??? I'm not sure...am I the only one? I took my car in this month bc my oil light came on at 2700 miles which is all weird for a new car/first oil change. Honda service at the dealership was really in help saying that I should drive it more and that that are mailing the civics bigger ( my 05 was the same size as this car) the did a diagnostic test where they drive it on the hwy and they they didn't find anything wrong with it. I keep the eco button on, west else should I do.
**** thats really bad something has to be effecting this because I get like 355 ish miles on a tank in my si and thats even getting on it sometimes. I would have them better inspect the car or something.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Civic 4 door Touring

Its all about the gas I think dont buy from cheap generic places as you dont know what is in there. By national name brand gas stations or large chains.

I use 91 octane

2nd week of having the card , started with 50 miles on it.

I get 29 MGP with Eco off and flooring it al the time to show off the Turbo.

I get 37 in the City which has some interstate travel to work.

I get 44 on the Highway going 65

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have 3,200 miles on my 17 EX-T MT. I can drive all day at 70mph and get 40mpg. Around town normal driving pretty much right at 32mpg all the time. COSTCO 87 Top Tier fuel most of the time.

·
Registered
88 Posts
If you chill in your car like for example, you love to idle with A/C on and radio blaring, it goes down and dips a little like cold weather. No biggie but smally.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It's 100% because of city driving. Also, you can't use the econ mode when your driving in the city. Its made for cruising speeds. You cant be starting and stopping with it on.

·
Registered
88 Posts

It seems the car uses more fuel when the RPM have to rev high for takeoffs but then MPH remain low as you have to stop again hence stop and go or non-highway and "stop and go" driving. It uses less fuel when driving steady on the highway where there is less stop and go. I would try and Change gas retailer from say Shell to Exxon and see if it improves.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I get just about what jlatgf gets. There are those times where Im running late an stand on her. But never have I gotten below 35.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have 3,200 miles on my 17 EX-T MT. I can drive all day at 70mph and get 40mpg. Around town normal driving pretty much right at 32mpg all the time. COSTCO 87 Top Tier fuel most of the time.
2017 EX-T 32 around town, 42 on the highway at under 70mph. However, as I drive real, real fast, I get about 38 on the highway.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts