10th Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Will magic seat come to new Civic? I speculate it might be - because the current Civic hatchback (European version) has magic seat for some years, and the car is produced in England.

Honda mentioned that new Civic will use global platform which would be the same across North America, Asia, Europe, etc. and Honda might bring forward magic seat from European platform to the global platform.

What do you think?

Ken

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I'd bet money that the new hatchback will have them. Can't see the sedan or coupe having them because the back seat structure is built differently and fused to the rear window dash. But the hatch, definitely. It offers way too much easy storage and is easier to do in the hatch that doesn't have the attached rear dash.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I'd bet money that the new hatchback will have them. Can't see the sedan or coupe having them because the back seat structure is built differently and fused to the rear window dash. But the hatch, definitely. It offers way too much easy storage and is easier to do in the hatch that doesn't have the attached rear dash.
That might be a situation where some folks might go for the HRV instead, all depending on how well it keeps what they have to keep.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I thought they were only able to make Magic Seats work because the FIT/HRV have the gas tank under the driver...

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I thought they were only able to make Magic Seats work because the FIT/HRV have the gas tank under the driver...
Have they mentioned where the gas tank is placed on the new civics? They might put it under the front seats just for that reason on the new civic... no idea.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I'm sure if it is possible they will include it. No reason not to. I'm sure we will be informed of that feature when the big reveal happens. :D

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I'm sure if it is possible they will include it. No reason not to. I'm sure we will be informed of that feature when the big reveal happens. :D
I'm pretty sure they'll add it too. Or maybe not, to help keep it from stepping on Fit and HRV sales.

Too bad the hatchback reveal is still a year out. Though, if they put the gas tank under the front for the hatch, i'd imagine they'd do it for the rest of the lineup to save on production costs, so once the sedan specs are all revealed we will know where they put the gas tank.

·
Registered
165 Posts
i think it's a great idea putting it there for creating more space elsewhere
but somehow i find it a bit of a bummer
cause every review says that the seating position of the (euro)civic is too high cause of the fuel tank being there

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Yea, i wondered about that. The Fit has a high seating position. And if Honda wants to make this the sportiest civic ever, it needs a lower seating position. Nothing ruins the initial concept of sporty cars than when you feel like you're sitting up too high like in a CUV or something. Maybe it's better if the civic doesn't get that feature...

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
It's not exactly needed in the 10th gen civic but maybe the sedan will be a good place to install it.
I'm not sure how well magic seats would work in a sedan... it would mean the back seats would be completely detached from the rear deck which would be odd. Definitely works better in a hatch configuration...

ALSO... i was looking at the coupe spy pictures that were shown recently... is it just me but in some of the shots where you can see through the windshield past the front seats to the back, the rear deck is like... taller than the rear headrests???? Like, the rear deck is super tall in the coupe to meet the bottom of the back window because the trunk is so tall and the roof so sloped... Not that i really care so much, but i'm thinking with that sloped tiny window and tall deck lid, the coupe is going to have crap for rearward visibility. Like the CRZ's rear window, but without the second panel of glass below to compensate for the rake of the roof and windows.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I'm not sure how well magic seats would work in a sedan... it would mean the back seats would be completely detached from the rear deck which would be odd. Definitely works better in a hatch configuration...

ALSO... i was looking at the coupe spy pictures that were shown recently... is it just me but in some of the shots where you can see through the windshield past the front seats to the back, the rear deck is like... taller than the rear headrests???? Like, the rear deck is super tall in the coupe to meet the bottom of the back window because the trunk is so tall and the roof so sloped... Not that i really care so much, but i'm thinking with that sloped tiny window and tall deck lid, the coupe is going to have crap for rearward visibility. Like the CRZ's rear window, but without the second panel of glass below to compensate for the rake of the roof and windows.
Totally, Honda looks to of gone for an optimized aero design on the sedan and the coupe concept shows the same fastback shape.

you're quite right...

standard back up cams FTW ;)

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Totally, Honda looks to of gone for an optimized aero design on the sedan and the coupe concept shows the same fastback shape.

you're quite right...

standard back up cams FTW ;)
It doesn't appear to have the same tall rear deck in the sedan since the roof sloped downward more on the sedan. But the coupe definitely has that tall trunk/deck profile that instead of making the seats any taller they just raised the deck up. Thank goodness for standard back up cams for sure. haha. At least the side rear windows on the new coupe appear to be larger than they were on the 8th and 9th gen coupe, that'll help with side to side rear visibility/blind spots.

·
Registered
237 Posts
speaking of magic seats in a sedan... the new sedan has a decidedly fastback rear.. a system similar to the current Euro Civic could work...

the Honda Grace/City which is the Fit/Jazz sedan doesn't offer magic seats as far as I can tell. Instead they take advantage of the fuel tank being further up by offering a deep trunk with pass through... http://www.honda.co.jp/GRACE/webcatalog/interior/?from=GRACE-header

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
It doesn't appear to have the same tall rear deck in the sedan since the roof sloped downward more on the sedan. But the coupe definitely has that tall trunk/deck profile that instead of making the seats any taller they just raised the deck up. Thank goodness for standard back up cams for sure. haha. At least the side rear windows on the new coupe appear to be larger than they were on the 8th and 9th gen coupe, that'll help with side to side rear visibility/blind spots.
Did not notice the reduced visibility until you mentioned it. Wonder how much of your rear view mirror is cut off because of that.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Did not notice the reduced visibility until you mentioned it. Wonder how much of your rear view mirror is cut off because of that.
I wonder as well. My 9th gen coupe already has pretty low rear visibility compared to my 8th gen coupe. The rear view mirror actually sees the ceiling, back seats and sides of the rear window as opposed to my 8th gen coupe which the rear view mirror was all window view.

This one will probably be even less than the current coupe view.

·
Registered
959 Posts
always was a bit tickled by the LCD rearview mirrors that ford used to put in their pickups (maybe they still do)...maybe a bit unsophisticated for Honda ;)

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
always was a bit tickled by the LCD rearview mirrors that ford used to put in their pickups (maybe they still do)...maybe a bit unsophisticated for Honda ;)

They had these in the CRZ because it didn't have an iMID screen. Its getting the new infotainment when it gets updated though, but for now the CRZ had the mirror integrated camera view.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts