10th Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As I was scouring the internet for any scrape of news, I discovered that Honda unveiled the 9th gen euro 5 door hatch at Frankfurt back in 2011. In addition, to build up its release, they released a series of short videos touting many of its features that can be found on this website.

http://www.multivu.com/players/English/51356-honda-motor-europe/

History will likely repeat itself 5 years later with official teasers from Honda in the weeks before Frankfurt and the subsequent unveiling.

Does anyone know when the 9th gen civic hit showrooms after its debut? It'll be a reasonable indicator for when the 10th gen will be available.

EDIT: It looks like this was already discussed earlier on the forums here, sorry.

http://www.9thgencivic.com/forum/9th-gen-civic-general-chat/463-what-did-you-pay-your-2012-model-what-deals-did-you-get.html

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
That's interesting. I signed up for updates on the civic on the Honda website. So if they do release teaser videos I should get notified of it. Let's hope we get more in the coming weeks leading up to the reveal.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Does anyone know when the 9th gen civic hit showrooms after its debut? It'll be a reasonable indicator for when the 10th gen will be available./QUOTE]

Unless they've changed their requirements, Honda has usually set a limit on how many previous MY Civics (and other models) a dealer can have on his lot before they release the next MY orders to them. They will hold the newly ordered cars at the nearest distribution center until the dealer sells down his current year's inventory to the required level. Thus, one dealer may get the new cars before another. I think the level is determined by the dealer's sales volumes.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Thanks for that information jamis, that info just might push me to do some digging around to see the state of my current dealers to guess who will be first to get the new Civic's. Just depends on what info those dealers are willing to disclose.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's interesting. I signed up for updates on the civic on the Honda website. So if they do release teaser videos I should get notified of it. Let's hope we get more in the coming weeks leading up to the reveal.
I've also signed up for the updates. So far, i've only got an email about the new cr-v, summer clearance deals, and something about the one direction civic tour. Hopefully we'll get something we'll want to read soon.

Unless they've changed their requirements, Honda has usually set a limit on how many previous MY Civics (and other models) a dealer can have on his lot before they release the next MY orders to them. They will hold the newly ordered cars at the nearest distribution center until the dealer sells down his current year's inventory to the required level. Thus, one dealer may get the new cars before another. I think the level is determined by the dealer's sales volumes.
Thanks for the insight, i'll definitely keep an eye on my dealership's inventory.

It does seem that it's in the best interest of the dealerships to get the next MY civic asap. The profit margin on those would be healthy instead of the razor thin profits on the current civic. So every dealership would make sure their inventory levels are low enough to get the new civic as soon as possible. This means that every dealership will have them at about the same time.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The last 2 "new" Civics I purchased, an 03 and an 06 were both in Sept/Oct. Also, here in Canada, we got them a bit earlier then the US simply because they were built here.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Did not know this was their requirement so thanks for that bit of information. I took a look at the Honda site and it seems like the sale has already begun: http://www.honda.ca/clearout

·
Registered
441 Posts
We were expecting Frankfurt even without this historical context, so now I am just even more convinced. At this point I would be surprised if it didn't debut in Frankfurt. more my question is how man of the variants will be unveiled at the same time?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Are you planning to trade it in eventually or sell privately once you're ready to move on?
Waiting for the 10th gen Si coupe. Honda financing extended my lease until December. Fingers crossed it'll be available by then. The dealer tells me November.

·
Registered
16 Posts
We were expecting Frankfurt even without this historical context, so now I am just even more convinced. At this point I would be surprised if it didn't debut in Frankfurt. more my question is how man of the variants will be unveiled at the same time?
Exactly.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
My guess would be base coupes and sedans in all trims. and possibly the Si variants... they'll save the hatch and Type R for their own reveal in a years time.

·
Registered
156 Posts
My guess would be base coupes and sedans in all trims. and possibly the Si variants... they'll save the hatch and Type R for their own reveal in a years time.
Since the 2nd gen. Cruze is adding a hatchback for 2016, I'm betting Honda will have to debut one for the Civic line. Focus hatchbacks make up 40% of the line's sales here. Not to be sneezed at.

Reactions: 5TAR

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Not sure about the hatch but the Type R will most likely be saved for another auto show since it's still in the early design stages.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Since the 2nd gen. Cruze is adding a hatchback for 2016, I'm betting Honda will have to debut one for the Civic line. Focus hatchbacks make up 40% of the line's sales here. Not to be sneezed at.
Focus hatchback is a great example, i've seen them on the road A LOT, driven by folks that actually own them and even owned as fleet vehicles for rental companies.

If there's any company that can straddle that segment it's Honda. Don't notice many Cruze's on the road as I would have expected, my expectation is they'll fall behind Ford and Honda by a lot here.

·
Registered
991 Posts
The previous generation Type R just came out, so a reveal in September would seem premature to me. As for the hatch, it's hard to say. I feel like it is rare to see 3 different variants of the same vehicle all debuted at the same time.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts