10th Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just recently I noticed that the cigarette lighter no longer powers my plug-in phone charger.

I'm pretty sure the cigarette lighter output is dead because I tried two different car chargers and neither one will power up my phone anymore.

Is there something that I can quickly check under the hood like a fuse or something, before I make an appointment to the dealer to figure out why my cigarette lighter just lost power?

2017 Civic Hatchback Sport

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Fuse #29 of the under-dash fuse panel. 20A fuse. Hopefully you aren't using this as a cigarette lighter as it isn't designed to accept the heat generated by a lighter element and is - in fact - an Accessory Power Outlet.

Pages 610-613 of the Owner's Manual covers this.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I wasn't aware that there was a cigarette lighter at all, thought it was a socket for large plugs like the ones used by an external GPS. o_O
Bit early for a fuse to blown on a civic isn't it? Maybe Honda will replace it for free.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Troubleshooting result

After much digging around, I found that my problem is intermittent connection somehow that the power socker supply voltage sometime on, many times nothing (I measured 0 voltage in the portal). If it were an older car or without warranty, I would open the dashboard up and find out whether the connection on the back of the cigarette lighter is good, and same goes at the fuse box, but since it is still under warranty, I think I will take it to the dealership to have them work on it.

Thanks for replying novsight.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Adding this here for reference. The cigarette socket itself has a slow-blow thin plastic that melts if too much power is drawn causing heat, ironically the fuse will not blow but when the plastic melts, it cuts off the contact which is held against it by the plastic, thereby requiring you to replace the whole socket. The intermittant issue is the same problem as the connection is partially touching the contact. Ironically, this type of loose contact also causes heat and helps the socket die off on it's own eventually. You can pry out that panel without prying anything else on your dash and change the socket with a replacement. I didn't want to have the same issue as it happened to me, so I repaired the socket contact myself

·
Registered
4 Posts
Adding this here for reference. The cigarette socket itself has a slow-blow thin plastic that melts if too much power is drawn causing heat, ironically the fuse will not blow but when the plastic melts, it cuts off the contact which is held against it by the plastic, thereby requiring you to replace the whole socket. The intermittant issue is the same problem as the connection is partially touching the contact. Ironically, this type of loose contact also causes heat and helps the socket die off on it's own eventually. You can pry out that panel without prying anything else on your dash and change the socket with a replacement. I didn't want to have the same issue as it happened to me, so I repaired the socket contact myself
yes…. So google search really doesn’t come up with much except fuse 29 and one site #1 as well. So, the center port cover comes off (slit) shown when u remove the rubber mat. I tested the dc line -12v. I tested the socket…. Dead. This is a poor design. My ‘15 civic did the same thing. $100 dealer cost to replace. 20$ part 1 hour labor. Not this time!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Are you sure the problem is hidden under the hood? Perhaps the problem is in the adapter. Of course, it's possible there could be a malfunction in the fuse. Yep, and it's early for that. I ran into this problem once on a Volkswagen golf 2. I was not surprised at all. It was to be expected. I struggled with this fuse for a long time. I've been to different car dealerships, but the results were short-lived. Only one car dealership in Florida was able to help me. All I remember is that they were related to https://autoleap.com. But that was a few years ago. I sold that car last year and didn't worry about it anymore.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts