10th Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
So let me start by saying, I always said **** Honda Civics. I said I would never own one. Now, I grew up in a small town with a lot of tuners who thought AutoZone was the best place to shop for performance. So they put me off to Civics. My first car was a 2002 Startus RT coupe, then an 06 Pontiac G6 GTP coupe, 06 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS, 86 Pontiac 6000(500 bucks **** it), then a 2003 Tiburon POS. Well after the disaster of having to constantly work on all of these cars, the tiburon especially, I wanted a new car. The girlfriend wanted a Honda civic, she was tired of fixing cars and knows how reliable Honda is. I wanted a Mazda 3 hatchback. It is nice to look at but mostly because for ten years I said **** Honda especially Civics. But then I saw the hatchback and the new turbo engine. So I was starting to reconsider but I held fast to my 16yr old self's proclamation that I'd never buy a Honda. Well, once I drove both and seeing just how sexy the hatchback is in person, **** the Mazda!!! I fell in love with the Civic. The performance was better than I expected, but what won me was the interior of this car. So after a few dealerships lol I finally found one in budget. A brand new 2017 Honda Civic hatchback. They tried to put me in the fit or a Civic sedan because of my credit but I held fast for the hatchback. Even though I'd like the sport or at least a stick, budget and gfs need to learn how to drive we got the base model with the CVT which is surprisingly better than other CVTs I've driven. But even the base model is still amazing to me. Enough rambling! Here she is!

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
It's been a week that I've had my new 17 civic EX-T and I completely agree. I LOVE IT TOO. Such a great car that came with so many options, bells, and whistles. Looking forward to being an active ember of this forum community.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Let me start out saying that I have been a Honda lover for over 4 decades growing up with older cousins who had Civics’ back in the 70’s that would not die! I have owned 4 different Honda’s in the last ten years starting with a 2008 CRV SE that was traded in for a 2008 Accord EXL. I still miss the CRV but being all wheel drive it was a tank of gas every week compared to the Accord that was every other week and with the same motor!

The Accord was traded in for a new 2013 Civic EX that was nice to look at but boring to drive! Needing a car that was cheap on gas and reliable is important to a family man so I when with it. Point A to B and back with no issues with over 60km in three years!

I traded that car in when the 2016 Civic hit the market! I fell in love with the look, the style and all the added safety features! Having said that, I am beginning to lose faith in the Honda product because I think my car is run by a demon!

First the adaptive cruise control goes nuts causing the car to hit the brakes for no reason and then all the error messages light up the dash. I managed to clear those errors by restarting the car then I when I was off of work I took it into Honda who said the car does not store memory for errors and had to wait till the next time it happens which it did in about an month so I drove it straight back to them. Note my two kids and wife were in the car when the brakes came on for no reason!! After hours of investigating they determine it was the Vehicle assist module conflicting with the camera on board for the adaptive cruise control so they changed it and no issues since.

About two weeks ago I closed the trunk and doors locked and the four turn signal lights came on and stayed on. The remote was not opening the car and touching the door handles didn’t work either. I used the other remote but nothing worked. I called Honda Assist and they told me they never heard about this happening before and while I was on hold I googled the issue and found an open ticket from Honda for the same issue. Using the key that is hidden inside the remote opens the car door; something I didn’t know nor did the staff at Honda Assist. The person I spoke to was trying to get approval to have the car towed and leave me without a car for work the next morning!

With the lane assist cameras not working on sharp turns due to the camera and other issues with software I am starting to believe Honda slapped this software into the car to compete w the market and didn’t do their homework to make sure it actually works. I questioned that very statement when they replace the module noted above. The service person said Honda does not make the software for the safety features of the car but I said it’s in your car so Honda owns it and should make sure it actually works for the safety of its owners!! Yes there is a disclaimer on the info system when the car starts, that won't do much good to the people in the car when it goes ape #$%!

On another note the stereo in the EX HD I own sucks. No bass and very low sound level from those cheap ass speakers….I want to upgrade but just to add a sub cost $100’s because of wiring issues and adding something to cancel out the noise level cancellation control system built into the car!!

While I love the look of the car and the style, I don’t think I’ll be buying another Honda with this technology again till Honda gets it right!!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Let me start out saying that I have been a Honda lover for over 4 decades growing up with older cousins who had Civics’ back in the 70’s that would not die! I have owned 4 different Honda’s in the last ten years starting with a 2008 CRV SE that was traded in for a 2008 Accord EXL. I still miss the CRV but being all wheel drive it was a tank of gas every week compared to the Accord that was every other week and with the same motor!

The Accord was traded in for a new 2013 Civic EX that was nice to look at but boring to drive! Needing a car that was cheap on gas and reliable is important to a family man so I when with it. Point A to B and back with no issues with over 60km in three years!

I traded that car in when the 2016 Civic hit the market! I fell in love with the look, the style and all the added safety features! Having said that, I am beginning to lose faith in the Honda product because I think my car is run by a demon!

First the adaptive cruise control goes nuts causing the car to hit the brakes for no reason and then all the error messages light up the dash. I managed to clear those errors by restarting the car then I when I was off of work I took it into Honda who said the car does not store memory for errors and had to wait till the next time it happens which it did in about an month so I drove it straight back to them. Note my two kids and wife were in the car when the brakes came on for no reason!! After hours of investigating they determine it was the Vehicle assist module conflicting with the camera on board for the adaptive cruise control so they changed it and no issues since.

About two weeks ago I closed the trunk and doors locked and the four turn signal lights came on and stayed on. The remote was not opening the car and touching the door handles didn’t work either. I used the other remote but nothing worked. I called Honda Assist and they told me they never heard about this happening before and while I was on hold I googled the issue and found an open ticket from Honda for the same issue. Using the key that is hidden inside the remote opens the car door; something I didn’t know nor did the staff at Honda Assist. The person I spoke to was trying to get approval to have the car towed and leave me without a car for work the next morning!

With the lane assist cameras not working on sharp turns due to the camera and other issues with software I am starting to believe Honda slapped this software into the car to compete w the market and didn’t do their homework to make sure it actually works. I questioned that very statement when they replace the module noted above. The service person said Honda does not make the software for the safety features of the car but I said it’s in your car so Honda owns it and should make sure it actually works for the safety of its owners!! Yes there is a disclaimer on the info system when the car starts, that won't do much good to the people in the car when it goes ape #$%!

On another note the stereo in the EX HD I own sucks. No bass and very low sound level from those cheap ass speakers….I want to upgrade but just to add a sub cost $100’s because of wiring issues and adding something to cancel out the noise level cancellation control system built into the car!!

While I love the look of the car and the style, I don’t think I’ll be buying another Honda with this technology again till Honda gets it right!!
I had the trunk thing happen, but I think it was a security thing because I slammed it too hard. Has never happened again. Lane assist does just that, assists you staying in your lane, but it was never intended to keep you in your lane around curves at speed or drive down the freeway for you, thats not how the tech was designed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the trunk thing happen, but I think it was a security thing because I slammed it too hard. Has never happened again. Lane assist does just that, assists you staying in your lane, but it was never intended to keep you in your lane around curves at speed or drive down the freeway for you, thats not how the tech was designed.
I second this. It comes in handy though and I always use it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts