10th Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not happy with myself. Threw on my Yakima bike rack to transport my friend's bike to my place I took off the rack and found two chips right through to the plastic on the spoiler. I have attached the image below. I bought some touch up paint from the dealership when I picked up the car just in case. I'm going to dab some on just to make it not as obvious. Obviously I'm going to get it fixed. Should I put the touch up and see if they can blend it in by buffing at the dealer? Or is this something that will need to be taken to a body shop for? Strangely enough this was the second time I used the rack.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I'm not happy with myself. Threw on my Yakima bike rack to transport my friend's bike to my place I took off the rack and found two chips right through to the plastic on the spoiler. I have attached the image below. I bought some touch up paint from the dealership when I picked up the car just in case. I'm going to dab some on just to make it not as obvious. Obviously I'm going to get it fixed. Should I put the touch up and see if they can blend it in by buffing at the dealer? Or is this something that will need to be taken to a body shop for? Strangely enough this was the second time I used the rack.

When I couldn't place a mountain bike type 10 speed without touching the painted portions of the rear bumper, I quickly discontinued it without getting a second person.

·
Registered
27 Posts

I did the same thing :(

·
Registered
129 Posts
If the paint from the dealer is the one like a felt pen its a one use item as the felt freezes when the paint dries. If its the brush in bottle one snap the end off a round toothpick and use it to dab paint in the chip not all over it. It takes a few applications to fill the chip.

·
Registered
6 Posts
If the paint from the dealer is the one like a felt pen its a one use item as the felt freezes when the paint dries. If its the brush in bottle one snap the end off a round toothpick and use it to dab paint in the chip not all over it. It takes a few applications to fill the chip.
I have used this method in the past and it will look better than how it looks now, but you will still be able to see it.

·
Registered
922 Posts
That's the best method to use. If you want a detailer to try and buff it down after, you'll have to fill the chip all the way to the top until you have a little crown type of ordeal, and then they can cut it down and smooth it out. Takes some time and patience though, you can't rush with this!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was able to find a good paint match kit on amazon as well, you just need to find the paint code. it really handled the chips I put in my vehicle well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts