10th Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

In an interview last week with WardsAuto Keiji Ohtsu, chief technology strategy officer-automobile R&D for Honda, details the automaker’s future moves.

Most notable for us is the announcement that the North American spec 2.0T will be heading to production in March of 2016.

WardsAuto said:
WardsAuto: Honda introduced the 1.5L unit in 2015. So far, on which models?

Ohtsu: On the Step Wagon in April and Jade RS in May, both in Japan. We adopted the 2.0L turbo on the Civic Type R in October, also in Japan, and will begin mass production of the engine next March in the U.S. for our Civic lineup. We are also readying the 1.5L unit for the China market. The 1.0L engine is still under development.
Which could be early confirmation that the 2016 Civic Si will in fact make use of a detuned 2.0T.

The whole interview is well worth the read as they delve into hybrids, hydrogen, transmissions and global markets.

·
Registered
959 Posts
The talk about Hybrids is interesting.

The NSX is part of the new guard of hybrids designed to change what people think. I mean Hybrids aren't just for saving gas, the electirc torque can be used to fill gaps in the powerband.

So essentially what I'm wondering is when and if we see a Civic Hybrid could it be something more performance oriented? Then again it could be something simple like E-AWD which they could demo/evaluate in the JDM market first.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Agreed. These things are usually pretty linear, it seems. 2.0L is 33% more than 1.5L, so 33% more than 174 is 232. If they switch it to use premium gas, probably 250.

Which actually seems kind of low to me, considering they had a 2.0 putting out 240 without a turbo 15 years ago (S2000). Granted, the turbo 2.0 will make a lot more torque and use less gas.

·
Registered
959 Posts
You know, it's interesting that they're saying the 2.0 is going into proddy in North America. doesn't the Euro civic already use a 2.0T built in USA?

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
You know, it's interesting that they're saying the 2.0 is going into proddy in North America. doesn't the Euro civic already use a 2.0T built in USA?
I'm sure the changes they made for the 2.0T (assuming it's for the Si) and the fact the 2.0T is produced is very low volume for the Type R they just mean that it's going into a more mass produced stage for the higher selling Si that's coming.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I'm waiting for the 4 door hatchback, and I want a manual transmission in higher trim than LX. If the 2.0T is an option, that would be icing on the cake.
That should be one of the angles they play, sportiness. I think even Chevy is doing that with its up coming Cruze wagon. Best to keep themselves on a level playing field.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.