10th Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
New to the forums, and I just bought my first "NEW" car in early October = '17 Hatchback EXL-Navi (Pearl White + 2-tone Leather).
I didn't want to MOD it until I got all the kinks/bugs that were associated with it.
Now that everything is fixed, was planning on getting it modded/tuned (not Drag/Track level).
Plan on only doing these external mods:
Enkei Rims + Red underbody spoilers + LED fog/headlights + blackout chrome

Internal/Tuning mods is what I need help with.

I saw Honda Pro Jason's new video on Hondata; the basic +6 PSI gave nearly 50HP and 80fp Touque gains with stock intake/exhaust!
I went to a local tune shop (Hondata Vendor), but they charge nearly $850 for the license + tuning (Hondata alone is $700).

If I get it tuned... anyone have suggestions on what general PSI boost to max out at?

This is my daily driver, so I don't want to boost it so much it'll kill my engine.
I read somewhere else on this forum you don't want to go over 7-8PSI boost else it'll kill the turbo in the long run?

Also, what Gauges should I add?
- I know Fuel/Air ratio is important.
- I know oil pressure is also important for turbo/engine.
- The Civic already has a "Boost Gauge", but doesn't have any numbers... do you need a gauge with numbers?

Wasn't sure what I should get as my 3rd gauge (getting a 3-gauge A-pillar insert).

Also... does the 2016-2017 Civic have an airbag on the A-pillar?
(thought I saw SRS airbag logo on that pillar?)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Its closer to 20whp and 30wtq, but it is very noticeable and very fun :)

From what I can gather, going much above +6psi you run into the limit of both the factory turbo and what pump gas can support.

Any significant power adder is going to increase wear on your engine/drive train. Not "OMG it blew up in a week" necessarily, but extra power means extra stress on components which means shorter life. It is possible/likely a good tune may cost you 10-20k miles on the life of your 300,000 mile engine. A bad tune will cost you 294,000 miles, assuming you have 5k already on the motor.

Gauge choice depends on your intent. If you just want to know how healthy your engine is I'd go with oil temp/pressure and water temp. If you want gauges with needles that bounce back and forth and look cool AFR, EGT, and boost. It isn't that AFR EGT and boost aren't useful, but they are more for tuning than keeping an eye on how your engine is doing day to day.

Looks like the side curtain airbag does extend into the A-pillar:

·
Premium Member
912 Posts
Check out Vituned.He sells combo tuner plus a tune for remote tuning.Hes considered the best.

·
Registered
198 Posts
from that video, it appears the air bag deploys from back to front and the a pillar goes toward the windshield rather than back toward the driver

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just remember that any ECU tuning will void the warranty on the drivetrain if anything goes wrong with it while you have it tuned. They can also see if you have reflashed and how many times apparently, when they plug it into the scanner at dealerships. So if you're not worried about paying for motor repairs yourself, go for it.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Just remember that any ECU tuning will void the warranty on the drivetrain if anything goes wrong with it while you have it tuned. They can also see if you have reflashed and how many times apparently, when they plug it into the scanner at dealerships. So if you're not worried about paying for motor repairs yourself, go for it.
Probably the smartest thing someone has said here and it could be more true.

Some people think they can just go back to OEM, maybe back in the days but not these days.

Best thing to do if you're confident in the car and the tune, is to accept you'll lose factory warranty and find yourself a good independent shop.

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
its a gamble half/half...........depend if its only a basic tune or extreme one...........i wouldnt bother running a +6psi base map.........from what ive read on these forums......and driving habits.......

·
Registered
16 Posts
I get the whole idea of tuning but I couldn't bring myself to throw away my 7 years / 160,000km warranty for more power... at least not until I have the car paid off

·
Registered
922 Posts
It doesn't matter on how much you tune it, once you access it and start changing any parameters, it's logged and they can see it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts