10th Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this render of the Honda Civic Coupe type R online today. Here it is for you guys to dissect.

Not sure if this model will even happen, though it is a possibility. I really like what he has done with the exhaust pipes. I also like the rear wheels vent. Wide body looks great too.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
These were renders done of the coupe and type R coupe over at CivicX.com they look really nice, but alas, they got the taillights wrong (they don't connect across the trunk and the lower front openings are a bit too large/aggressive compared to what we've seen already on the test cars and the patent images.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I still think Type R will be hatch only, makes sense with the low import numbers they're talking about...
That's just what I was thinking and while it is nice to see the coupe like this, ultimately top-spec coupe talk should revolve around what we know we'll get, that is the Si.

·
Registered
991 Posts
those rims really make it look like a matchbox car
I like the matchbox car look.

I agree that they should have been smart enough to have the tail lights connect at the rear of the vehicle. It looks great though.

If they had to choose between a Type R coupe or hatchback, do you think that one option would sell better than the other?

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not sure which would sell better, but you have to figure that they are choosing the hatchback because it would sell better. The hatchback would compete against the likes of the Focus RS, and Golf R400. So maybe they are just trying to target the competition.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Not sure which would sell better, but you have to figure that they are choosing the hatchback because it would sell better. The hatchback would compete against the likes of the Focus RS, and Golf R400. So maybe they are just trying to target the competition.
I bet that's one of the reasons but you have to also look at it from a manufacturing end which makes the process easier and the N/A market has been deprived of a Type R for a while, making this a good start to maybe churning out something different in the future.

·
Registered
991 Posts
I bet that's one of the reasons but you have to also look at it from a manufacturing end which makes the process easier and the N/A market has been deprived of a Type R for a while, making this a good start to maybe churning out something different in the future.
What are you thinking this "something different in the future" might end up being?

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
On the other hand, what vehicles would a hypothetical Civic Type R coupe be competing with? Is this a competitive or popular segment?

·
Registered
959 Posts
On the other hand, what vehicles would a hypothetical Civic Type R coupe be competing with? Is this a competitive or popular segment?
I don't know, you tell us...

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
If they made a FWD Type R coupe it really would be pretty stand alone. Most powerful coupes on the market it would compete with are RWD or AWD, so while being one of the ONLY FWD 300+hp coupes on the market it would get cross shopped with luxury cars, mustangs, camaros and ultimately probably lose sales to them. The hatch however has the Golf R and technically the Impreza, even though they're AWD they're more in the right price range and size segment, again, it might lose sales because its FWD, and maybe the next one should be AWD to compete better in the segment.

·
Registered
959 Posts
If they made a FWD Type R coupe it really would be pretty stand alone. Most powerful coupes on the market it would compete with are RWD or AWD, so while being one of the ONLY FWD 300+hp coupes on the market it would get cross shopped with luxury cars, mustangs, camaros and ultimately probably lose sales to them. The hatch however has the Golf R and technically the Impreza, even though they're AWD they're more in the right price range and size segment, again, it might lose sales because its FWD, and maybe the next one should be AWD to compete better in the segment.
I firmly believe that if Honda is going to go AWD it will be an e-AWD setup like they showed us at Pikes Peak.

Now I'm not saying the 10th CTR will use an e-AWD setup, I'm saying I dont think Honda goes AWD until its an e-AWD. Thats next gen tech IMO and would tie in nicely with the NSX/performance hybrid branding...

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I firmly believe that if Honda is going to go AWD it will be an e-AWD setup like they showed us at Pikes Peak.

Now I'm not saying the 10th CTR will use an e-AWD setup, I'm saying I dont think Honda goes AWD until its an e-AWD. Thats next gen tech IMO and would tie in nicely with the NSX/performance hybrid branding...
I totally agree. AWD sacrifices fuel economy, not something honda is keen to do on a car like the civic, even one as powerful as the CTR.

·
Registered
991 Posts
OK so let's say in the future Honda does come out with an e-AWD Type R. Would the non-Type R versions of the Civic also be e-AWD, or no?

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
OK so let's say in the future Honda does come out with an e-AWD Type R. Would the non-Type R versions of the Civic also be e-AWD, or no?
I would assume no. Just like the Golf and GTI remained FWD only while the R went AWD i don't think honda would risk raising the cost of the base civics and Si to make them e-AWD. I suppose anything is possible... but id doubt it highly. I think we'd see an e-AWD accord touring before the civic ever does that.

·
Registered
991 Posts
As much as there is an urge to make the Civic really, really cool with a bunch of tech, it is still at the core of Honda's line up and can't get too expensive. It is a car for the people. I guess that is why there is the Type R. It is like the dream version.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
As much as there is an urge to make the Civic really, really cool with a bunch of tech, it is still at the core of Honda's line up and can't get too expensive. It is a car for the people. I guess that is why there is the Type R. It is like the dream version.
Best way to look at it is they need to do what's just enough or right under enough to stay competitive, last thing they want is for the competition to outshine them. Fortunately though they can make up for some lack in features with how many people are comfortable staying with honda and not getting out of that comfort zone.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts