10th Honda Civic Forum banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
And that won't be supported in, say, a Honda Civic until the 2022 model year.
I seriously doubt that. With apple carplay being as new and upcoming as it is, Apple isn't going to create a format that won't function with it's own software. Nobody even noticed when they made the mp3-mp4 switch. Also, i don't think connecting a device like an ipod or iphone functions the same way as connecting a jump drive which would directly read the files on it as sound files... the iphone/ipod is going through more complex software to make it's files compatible with the hardware it's attached to.

·
Registered
331 Posts
With apple carplay being as new and upcoming as it is, Apple isn't going to create a format that won't function with it's own software.
So CarPlay somehow provides the codec functionality to the head unit? (Not clear on this, but doubt it.) And if I don't iPhone or iPod (what's that anymore?) but use iTunes and capture/rip stuff to this new format, put it on a USB stick, and plug the stick into the 2021 Civic, Honda will have incorporated this new codec format? Permit me to doubt. .AAC files were supported in iTunes long before any car could decode them.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
So CarPlay somehow provides the codec functionality to the head unit? (Not clear on this, but doubt it.) And if I don't iPhone or iPod (what's that anymore?) but use iTunes and capture/rip stuff to this new format, put it on a USB stick, and plug the stick into the 2021 Civic, Honda will have incorporated this new codec format? Permit me to doubt. .AAC files were supported in iTunes long before any car could decode them.
Well even if the new cars couldn't support the new format, that's why itunes has the function to convert any music files backwards to older/other formats. Currently, Mp4 is the default that songs are downloaded as, but the option exists to convert any and all files to mp3 as well. I'd assume that this functionality would remain after the new format is introduced.

·
Registered
331 Posts
That's what I'm doing now for my '07 CR-V that doesn't deal with .AAC. But transcoding provides its own set of artifacts and is just one more step in an already tedious workflow. And iTunes makes having tracks in more than one format in the same library painful.

My point stands. Apple may create a new codec. But it will be a long time before a new Civic will decode that format.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
That's what I'm doing now for my '07 CR-V that doesn't deal with .AAC. But transcoding provides its own set of artifacts and is just one more step in an already tedious workflow. And iTunes makes having tracks in more than one format in the same library painful.

My point stands. Apple may create a new codec. But it will be a long time before a new Civic will decode that format.
I'm not really sure why you felt the need to make the point at all. All i did was mention that apple would be introducing a new format that offered better sound quality. I never said anything about compatibility or even when this new format would be introduced. Didn't mean for it to become some huge tech debate. I have my iphone. I have my itunes. I keep it simple. I've never personally liked having/accessing music from external devices like jump drives. Too many pitfalls (as you've made apparent).

In regards to the topic of the thread about the civic NOT having a CD player... it's not really new information. We knew from the very first spy shots of the interior that there wouldn't be a CD player. That said, i feel honda might have jumped the gun just slightly in thinking everyone has gone full digital/streaming with their music and should've kept the CD player maybe just for 1 more generation. But, not really something to worry about at this point, and it doesn't seem to be bothering the civic sales, so i guess honda knows what they're doing after all.

·
Registered
331 Posts
If you want to be that way about it, I'm not sure why you felt the need to make your point about Apple developing yet another codec.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Used to do it all the time in my 07 civic before i got my first ipod. Pretty much anything with a headphone jack works with one of those.
Problem solved for those who still want to listen to CDs. :D I'm sure CD players are dirt cheap now since it's gone out of style.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Still no fun messing around with CD's. When you go hard drive storage you just can't go back. Even laptops coming out these days no longer have CD drives! Just goes to show the whole shift across multiple industries.

·
Registered
41 Posts
of course it's old school, i'm 69 years old, I will have to put all my stuff on a flash drive (that's just soo new techie!!!)
I'm 65 and I ripped my 522 CDs onto my computer and put them on a thumb drive. You can do it. It's great to have your entire music collection available to you!

·
Registered
143 Posts
There are USB CD drives, used for laptops and computers without build in drives. Its possible the Honda would just see the files as if it was a flash drive. But I think its just better to have non moving parts and rip the music onto a flash disk.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I was about to start a new thread about the "no CD player" thing. Good that I did a search first.

So, as I understand it,......if I rip music off the CD and move those files to a flash,......plug that flash into the Civic's port,......the audio system will recognize the file types and already has software that will play them? I suppose there will be some type of file display on the screen that will tell you what your song is,.......but then, would it necessarily know that information after you have ripped the song from the CD? Not sure how that works. I've done some ripping in the past, and in the folder, it has them named as if they are unknown. IF I go with the new systems [new Civc], I'll have to take a flash drive with me when I test drive, I guess.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Would it necessarily know that information after you have ripped the song from the CD? Not sure how that works. I've done some ripping in the past, and in the folder, it has them named as if they are unknown. IF I go with the new systems [new Civc], I'll have to take a flash drive with me when I test drive, I guess.
If you rip them with a application that first looks up the CD online, it will create an audio file that has what is known as a embedded ID3 tag. This tag will include the Artist, title, genre, and other details about the ripped music.

Your Civic infotainment system can read this info and will display it on the screen.

I use a USB stick for most of my music. I create folders with the Artist Name and then copy of the music files into each of folder. When you select USB as the source and have the USB stick inserted, you can navigate the folders and also the songs within the folders.

It works really well for me.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I rip music CD's, and audio books I get from the library, to flash drives with my PC. Playing music and "reading" books while driving using flash drives in my 16 Civic EX works great. Use either of the two USB ports. Flash drives hold many CD's and take up no physical space in the car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought a red EX and I love it. I'm 58 and from one old guy to another, it's time to learn a few new tricks. Load the CD that came with your owners manual and check out the tutorials for your audio system. You could use your phone or you can put the music on a USB flash drive. While your at it check out apple carplay. If you have an Iphone 5 or greater you already have a great GPS and don't know it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have 1000+ CDs and I have no intentions on ripping them into MP3s. Who is the genius deciding CD Player is no longer needed in a car???
probally the same person who didn't think an 8 track tape player was needed, who even uses cd-players anymore? not even a modern day laptop has it:laugh:

·
Registered
5 Posts
that's extra work!

Rip 'em all and get yourself an ipod touch. Dump all the music there, and you'll have your whole collection at the touch of your thumb. Why go through all the CDs? That's old school.
I don't have time for that? Why the heck didn't they just put a CD player and/or a 3.5mm aux jack in the **** car?

21 - 40 of 49 Posts