10th Honda Civic Forum banner
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Why the heck didn't they just put a CD player and/or a 3.5mm aux jack in the **** car?
Probably because they judged that few buyers would care, although some do care, a lot, and because they judged omitting them as benefiting reliability.

They weren't in there when you were shopping, either.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Actually your iphone and itunes uses mp4 files which are even more compact than mp3 but have better quality. Rumor has it that Apple is currently working on a next gen format for music that'll take up even less space and offer a big jump in quality over the current mp4.
Sorry Robb, but that doesn't make any sense. I play some instruments, and use a digital multi-track recorder, that records in full .wav format. Most audio file websites will only allow certain compressed formats (MP3, M4A, etc.). For a typical song file (about 3 mins), it takes up about 27 - 30MB in .wav format, and after compression to MP3, it's only about 3 MB (10 to 1 compression). Depending on the speakers, I can't always hear the difference, but through the headphones, I can always tell. It's sorta like taking a 30 MB raw digital picture, then reducing it to a 3 MB jpeg image - there will be loss of resolution.

Maybe it's some musician gene that allows me to hear the difference, while others can't...then again, at my age, I guess I should be thankful. :nerd:

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Maybe it's some musician gene that allows me to hear the difference, while others can't...then again, at my age, I guess I should be thankful. :nerd:
It's your superior hearing. I generally can't tell the difference, maybe if I strain hard enough but they all generally sound the same to me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Android Auto + Nexus 6P like a charm.

I checked out a dealer's 2016 Civic EX-T and my Moto e phone wouldn't pair with the car and the car couldn't find the phone. The owner's manual lists this website for compatible phones: http://www.handsfreelink.com/Honda/
My phone isn't listed and only a very limited number of phones are.
Does anyone have experience connecting to the new Civic? What phone did you use?
I currently listen to music from my phone in my 2012 Civic LX using a 3.5 mm cable, but this option is no longer available. Any ideas?
I have the Nexus 6P and I use Android Auto rather than HandsFreeLink.
Works like a charm. I am absolutely in love.

As to the OP as many others have said: Rip the CDs (I use CDex -- it's free; will connect to the internet to grab song data; and you can choose your output format from a list of codecs in the settings.)
I have not tested yet, but for the audiophiles, you could try ripping as FLAC (lossless compression) instead of MP3. If that fails, a higher bitrate during conversion will preserve more quality at a cost of size.
Given the limited compatibility on the HandsFreeLink, thumb drive might be a better option than your phone. (But again, with the EX and above you have Android Auto and Apple Play which are kind of awesome.)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Low Profile USB flash drive

For me, the best answer is to use a low-profile USB flash drive.

I keep my mp3 files properly tagged, and automatically sync all 5-star rated songs to the flash drive using WinAmp software. Having the song/artist description on the screen is really nice.

I specify a folder for each artist, which works well with the LX's folder search method. We often want to keep the playlist to a particular artist.

No more CD's - that's a good thing.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Cds I find are quite cluttering and then they get scratched and then they're useless lol. The USB method is definitely the best way to go about things. There's even really nice low profile ones that don't stick out far or anything.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i found a kit from these guys and it works great in my 10th gen Civic. works through the usb port. they were very helpful when i emailed them some questions before i purchased to make sure it would work with the 10th gen radio system

41 - 49 of 49 Posts