10th Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was not able to connect my Android phone (GingerBread version) to Honda Civic 2016 EX. It showed an error on connecting the USB cable.

Do we need to have a different type of USB cable to get this done?
or
Only some specific Android phones can connect to this?

Has anyone been able to do this successfully?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My phone did have android 5 (Lollipop) and Android Auto installed over it.

It just kept giving the same error: Check your USB connection.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Any USB cable should work. Try a new cable maybe. Also, make sure the USB port on your car is not loose. My car's USB port has a lot of "play" in it, and once I had to wiggle the cable a bit after plugging it in to get the car to recognize that it was plugged in.

If it still doesn't work, I would go back to the dealer. There are lots of infotainment issues floating around right now.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Whenever I read about problems with Apple CarPlay or Android Auto it is almost always because the hardware or software isn't up to date. Make sure that you have updated your operating system to the most recent version and look into which models of phone are copmatible with the system. I know that Apple CarPlay requires that you have an iPhone 5 or newer, for example.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I initially didn't have any problems with android auto, but then had connection errors. I uninstalled auto and went into the app to get it going.
I would make sure you use a good cable. Usually the one that came with your phone.

What i also did was, since i want to use android auto exclusively, i turned bluetooth off. Hondalink gave me all kinds of issues with it's connection.
Good luck

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same here. It worked for a couple days then it stopped.
2016 Civic EX Sedan
Android (Note 3) 5.0

PS. Also tried stock and after market cable, and wife's phone (identical note 3).

·
Registered
23 Posts
press and hold power, until your head unit restart. it would took 2-3 mins, don't worry. Than everything should go well .... for a while...

Honda really need to find a fix for all these =_= not impressed at all..

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am also having the same problem. I tried 4 different cables, top rated amazon ones. My OnePlus with Android 5.0 was having this problem and now I have a Moto X Pure with Android 6 that also gives me the charging error. It works for some time streaming music, once I go into maps, it will drop out briefly then come back. The OnePlus would eventually refuse to charge altogether from the port and the error wouldn't go away...

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Maybe try this and see if it helps?

I initially didn't have any problems with android auto, but then had connection errors. I uninstalled auto and went into the app to get it going.
I would make sure you use a good cable. Usually the one that came with your phone.

What i also did was, since i want to use android auto exclusively, i turned bluetooth off. Hondalink gave me all kinds of issues with it's connection.
Good luck

·
Registered
16 Posts
The error message leads me to believe that the phone is either requesting or drawing too much power from the USB port. The front port is supposed to be able to handle up to 1.5A if requested, so this shouldn't be a problem unless the phone is simply using excess power without requesting it from the USB controller.

If this is the case, have you tried plugging in the phone immediately after recharging it? If it's fully charged, it shouldn't draw as much power and maybe it will connect.

You definitely need to talk to your dealer's service department about this so they can document and look into the issue further.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Had similar issue

I was not able to connect my Android phone (GingerBread version) to Honda Civic 2016 EX. It showed an error on connecting the USB cable.

Do we need to have a different type of USB cable to get this done?
or
Only some specific Android phones can connect to this?

Have a Samsung S5. Could not use the Samsung OEM quick charge cable, but purchased a standard USB to micro-USB cable. That said, the Android version on your phone is several versions ahead of the car. In 6 weeks, my Android Auto has shut down all communications, including Bluetooth, twice. Even stopped the clock. :(

What about that, Honda? Android Auto demands Lollipop or better, but the car is Gingerbread - Android 3.3.1?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just drove for about an hour attempting to use Spotify and maps in Android Auto. Got constant USB charging disconnects... Got to dealer and the issue wouldn't show while the car was sitting there..I'm sure it'll happen 5 min into my drive home. I'm out of ideas.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts