10th Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Last month we touched upon the common practice of price gouging that some dealerships partake in, hoping someone would be willing to pay a premium for the chance to own a Civic Type R before others can get their hands on one.

So far we’ve seen prices range from $44,000 to a staggering $60,000 and now CarAndDriver has taken it upon themselves to find out what the average markup up is in certain States and if price gouging really is that prevalent across Toyota dealership.

A stock Civic Type R will set the average buyer back a good $33,900 and those who opt for all fourteen dealer accessories should see a fair price tag of $37,201 with destination. Some may question if finding one at MSRP is possible right now, but the possibility is not as farfetched as some may believe. Out of the 169 Type Rs listed on CarGurus, less than 20 of them were advertised with inflated prices.

Of those 20 hot hatches, one of them is being sold by a dealership in Ashland, Wisconsin for $39,775. Then there are dealerships who are trying to sell their stock in the mid to high $40,000s and they can be found in Milwaukee, Wisconsin; Newburgh, New York; Gainesville, Georgia; McMinnville, Oregon; Glen Burnie, Maryland; and a handful of other cities nationwide in places as diverse as Hawaii, New Jersey, New Mexico, and North Carolina.

Sitting at the top is a dealership in Marysville, Washington, where the price has been inflated to a whopping $50,125.

Aside from a few dealerships, the majority seems to be adhering to the manufacturer's suggested retail price.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Dealers marking them up are probably just going with what they feel would happen with the given demographic. As you can expect a dealer in a wealthy area will try to mark it up in line with what they see of people around them. Some people just WANT the car more than they want to save money.

·
Registered
14 Posts
56,000 asking at my dealership..... Ended up going somewhere else and getting a hatchback. Maybe one day Ill have my type R.

·
Registered
11 Posts
There were no "dealer options" available when I bought mine. In fact the dealer had a hard time locating options (leather gear shift knob, car illumination kit, door edge guards), but one option was required by the dealer-Prime Coat paint treatment. Considering it's classified as a "Touring" there really are no options so it's ACTUAL MSRP fully loaded with tax and destination is that $37,201 figure, which means I only paid a $4200 markup.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My dealer priced it at 42,000 cdn, has his, another local dealer has one as well but put it into a box for collecting (vomit). They're amazing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
When I was at the dealership last night to purchase my EX-T, they had a Type R for $56k. My sales guy had mentioned they sold one last Saturday on LDW for the same price.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I agree they are, I was driving it on a test ride with my friend from DSRLeasing, totally amazing and price is on point as well, you should go for it bro :)

·
Registered
12 Posts

The dealer that I bought my Civic RS has the Type r Demo version for 50,989 aus and it's done 2000 km....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts