10th Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok everyone we're getting close, I figured now that we have all the info on the regular sedan we can turn our attention to the Si and the Si coupe.

We still don't know when we're going to see the Coupe and the Si debut, however it's likely they happen together.

The two main candidates at this point have to be SEMA on November 3rd or LA at the end of November...

But we have more questions then just when it will debut. We still don't know if the Si will make use of a hopped up 1.5T or a derated 2.0T... lastly DCT or Manual or both??

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
We also don't know if the coupe will follow the exact same trim line as the sedan or if it'll be a condensed (possibly turbo only) lineup since it's the more sport oriented body style as well as a lower volume seller. That's something to speculate on as well. Hoping we will see the coupe (and Si) in November, with the coupe being on sale December/January. Guessing the Si will come early spring.

My guess... just based on all the improvements they've made to the base civics and the fact that the 1.5T in the civic has a 0-60 approaching the current Si... the 2.0T detuned to around 220-230 is what we can expect in the Si. That will offer a good balance of power and fuel efficiency. I feel like wringing the 1.5T out to those levels mpg would suffer, and while the Si is a sport variant, fuel consumption still matters.

I am hoping it'll get a CVT or DCT option, but not holding my breath either on that... maybe down the road we might see it as a mid model refresh addition, as the Si most likely will be priced between the EXT and EXL and that's a great price for what the car would offer in terms of tech and performance, undercutting the GTI by a few thousand and offering the standard stuff from the EXT would be a good level of features for the Si, possibly offer a leather option as well since that hasn't been done before.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Interested in what they're going to do with the suspension...

by the sounds of it the Sedan handles quite well, curious what they'll do to the Si to make it even better... hopeful they don't go too stiff, from what I've read the CTR wants to shake your fillings out its sprung so stiff and thats just no fun day to day...

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Interested in what they're going to do with the suspension...

by the sounds of it the Sedan handles quite well, curious what they'll do to the Si to make it even better... hopeful they don't go too stiff, from what I've read the CTR wants to shake your fillings out its sprung so stiff and thats just no fun day to day...
Given the amount of tech added to the regular civic... could we see them doing an adjustable suspension? Like, push a button for comfort/normal/sport??? I don't think it's totally out of the realm of possibility, the type R has it's "R" setting...

·
Registered
237 Posts
Given the amount of tech added to the regular civic... could we see them doing an adjustable suspension? Like, push a button for comfort/normal/sport??? I don't think it's totally out of the realm of possibility, the type R has it's "R" setting...
Good idea, sharing brings the cost down as well...

In other news, Honda isn't listed as having anything debuting at LA. It's early days yes, but you would imagine they want to build buzz...

I wonder if they pull the same stunt they did with the Sedan, a day or two before the show. They get themselves into the news cycle without getting swallowed among all the LA madness...

http://www.autonews.com/article/201...feature-50-new-vehicle-debuts-technology-expo

·
Registered
94 Posts
I don't think they will on the Si. There's really not a market for it at the price point they're targeting. I wouldn't rule it out, knowing they're targeting the GTI which DOES have adjustable dampers. But it accounts for a very small portion of their sales.

I also think it will remain exclusively a 6MT. At least for now. Although Honda is upping the ante in refinement, an auto option is at least 1.8K more. If they offer it, it would likely come 1-2 years later after the Type R drops in the US. Maybe at MMR.

Looking at the specs of the 1.5T base, a higher output 1.5T is pretty much out. Too many tweaks would be required to get the power and driving behavior they want. Turbo, inlet and exhaust are way too small to generate sufficient power in the upper RPM range. Cheaper to tweak the hardware on the 2.0T and allow some breathing room to track the competition.

My 2 cents...

·
Registered
94 Posts
To add, I imagine the only suspension tweaks we'll see are the dampers, springs, and ARBs. They will keep it a street car for occasional track use, vs. a track car for occasional street use (CTR).

Any other chassis reinforcement will be reserved for the upcoming CTR.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Not sure an auto option would be 1.8k more... the CVT is an $800 upgrade, and usually automatics hover at no more than $1000 for the upgrade. Granted the DCT is a bit more complicated and expensive, but i still wouldn't see the DCT being an almost $2000 upgrade over a manual. Again, it's up in the air, and yea, i could see it as a MMR addition perhaps based on sales and demand for an auto on the Si.

While i wouldn't bet on adjustable dampers, i too wouldn't rule it out...there is alot of stuff on this new civic that nobody expected to be standard on these cars for their price point. My biggest argument for bigger changes to the Si (the 2.0T instead of the 1.5T, leather option, auto option, etc) is how much the base civic has changed. If the base civics have improved 100%, why would the Si only make a 10% upgrade over the current car? Doesn't make much sense in my mind. A 100% upgrade across the line would make more sense and throw the Si into class leading territory again ahead of the GTI which is arguably the class leader now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Does anyone suspect the type R that has been spotted testing in the 10th gen body style could possibly be an si?

If the sedan got a complete revamp, couldnt the si be that test car?.... Also why we would we spy a type R before an si?

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
94 Posts
I wouldn't rule it out. The wider track and body shape suggest Type R. But Honda "could" follow Subaru and further distance their performance lineup from the base. See: WRX vs. Imrpezza.

·
Registered
6 Posts
So I am guessing that a 10th generation 5 door Si is never going to happen?

Does anybody know or have a reasonable guess?

Also, when would this happen if it did?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
So I am guessing that a 10th generation 5 door Si is never going to happen?

Does anybody know or have a reasonable guess?

Also, when would this happen if it did?

Thanks.
We don't know... most of us assume there will not be an Si hatch but that doesn't mean it's impossible.

Hatch should be releasing very end of 2016 or early 2017. my guess would be the latter.

My thinking is the hatch will come in a condensed trim line (turbo only possibly) and then the CTR... if the hatch sells very well here in the US and honda gets demand for it, they could expand the trim line or even move hatch production over here for the 11th gen model or even a MMR of the 10th.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm really hoping for an auto on the next Si. If it doesn't get an auto then I'll just preorder a manual when they finally come out. I just prefer more of an auto. I wonder also how it'll look in sedan form as the body is so Accord Crosstour. It makes me wonder what Honda has under its sleeve. I also feel like we won't see the Si models until next at the next auto show and not LA this year.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I'm really hoping for an auto on the next Si. If it doesn't get an auto then I'll just preorder a manual when they finally come out. I just prefer more of an auto. I wonder also how it'll look in sedan form as the body is so Accord Crosstour. It makes me wonder what Honda has under its sleeve. I also feel like we won't see the Si models until next at the next auto show and not LA this year.
Si models are slated for spring 2016, so we will probably see them early 2016 at one of the bigger auto shows, unless honda does another live stream event like they did with the sedan.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Si models are slated for spring 2016, so we will probably see them early 2016 at one of the bigger auto shows, unless honda does another live stream event like they did with the sedan.
Oh good because I'm really trying to hold off on buying a car until I know what Honda has in store for the Si. I test drove the GTI the other day and wasn't very interested.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Oh good because I'm really trying to hold off on buying a car until I know what Honda has in store for the Si. I test drove the GTI the other day and wasn't very interested.
I was kinda toying with the idea of an EcoBoost Mustang for a while... but 4 doors are better when your wife says so...

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Anyone else a little worried that Honda might compromise the Si somewhat because of the eventual type r?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I would not have one as an auto. Not even for free.

Entertainment, and "driver involvement" is the whole appeal for me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I always prefer manual transmissions, but I would definitely never turn down someone giving me a free brand new 2016 Honda Civic Si that has an automatic transmission.

I would not have one as an auto. Not even for free.

Entertainment, and "driver involvement" is the whole appeal for me.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I always prefer manual transmissions, but I would definitely never turn down someone giving me a free brand new 2016 Honda Civic Si that has an automatic transmission.
I mean if I had to drive it. Money not a consideration.

I guess I could be ok with a double clutch on something so high powered it was too much of a handful as a manual.

I'm just lovin' the experience now so much! 200 hp and a manual is just right for sporty daily driving.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts