10th Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Classic, the musical cross promotion. It has been proven to be very effective actually, which is strange. The reason it works is not because people like One Direction and therefore will buy the Civic. The song, which is popular right now, gets associated with the car after they have seen the commercial a number of times and that creates a positive association and also reminds them of the car when they hear the song. It crosses into the subliminal realm a tad. Thank gosh I don't have TV so I won't be subjected to these ads all the time.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Is the purpose of the ad to get teens and young adults to ask their parents to buy this car for them? I doubt people who have the money to buy a brand new car really care one way or the other about One Direction.

·
Registered
124 Posts
For Honda as long as it was a popular youth band it would work successfully for marketing. It does not matter if the potential buyer likes One Direction or not. Cars advertised to youth sell to all generations but if Honda would have chosen a band a couple decades older for advertisements it could send the wrong message to teens and twenty somethings. They would not want something that is perceived as older or something their parents would drive. An older band may drive away buyers. A young band is a safer play and will probably be best for sales.

I hope everyone is enjoying their new Civics.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
One Direction and Honda have been together for a while now, this is not something new for the new Civic. In fact there was a "One Direction Civic Tour going on at the beginning of this year as I was getting emails for it from Honda back then.

One Direction is dead anyway, it's now all about 5 Seconds of Summer now according to my daughter. Maybe One Direction fans are old enough to buy cars now lol. Glad my daughter likes hard rock music like me so I'm spared all these bands!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts