10th Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all quick question, maybe this may apply to a few owners out there.

Got my Civic EX back today from the recall inspection, and noticed my oil life indicator is still at 70%. I'm wondering should I reset the oil life due to them putting in new oil. Here are the stats for the car.

Milage: 2087
Oil Life Indicator: 70%
Oil Filter: Stated by mechanic that it is the same filter prior to inspection (factory filter)

Thoughts?

·
Registered
331 Posts
I would not reset it. Doing so will throw off the other intervals like rotate tires. You'll get the second oil change a little early. You got the first one a lot early.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Maybe keep and eye on it to make sure it goes down the more you drive your Civic in case it's stuck at %70.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
It best to just keep driving it and watch how the number moves. One thing you can try doing is calling Honda and ask what sort of mileage is required for it to move down a percent, or what criteria the system uses for small incremental movements in percentage. At least then when driving you'll know what to expect and when.

·
Registered
213 Posts
The piston wrist pin is one thing I would leave for the dealership, but for oil changes, I take care of those myself. I use 100% synthetic oil with a cotton batting filter (no pleated paper), and change every 12 months or 12k miles, whichever comes first. So I know which of my vehicles needs oil/filter change by the month of the year. EZ peazy!

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
The piston wrist pin is one thing I would leave for the dealership, but for oil changes, I take care of those myself. I use 100% synthetic oil with a cotton batting filter (no pleated paper), and change every 12 months or 12k miles, whichever comes first. So I know which of my vehicles needs oil/filter change by the month of the year. EZ peazy!
How do you reset the oil life indicator after changing the oil?

Yea, don't think anyone would be touching those piston clips by themselves, especially if you have to cut into it.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
What brand of oil do you use? Some people I know religiously use Motul oil in their Hondas and not anything else, others just grab the typical Quaker State or Castrol Oil you typically find at auto parts stores.

·
Registered
213 Posts
For resetting the reminder, I'm guessing that you press and hold a button, or sequence of buttons...I don't have the manual to reference. For oil, I use Amsoil, but I think any 100% pure synthetic will do.

·
Registered
331 Posts
How do you reset the oil life indicator after changing the oil?
OM p 483:
1. Turn the ignition switch to ON (II and have
the vehicle at a complete stop.
2. Display the Maintenance Minder by
repeatedly pressing the (TRIP) knob.
3. Press and hold the knob for ten seconds
or more.
> The display will blink to show it is in reset
mode.
4. Rotate the knob to select the item you
wish to reset.
> Reset the selected item by pushing the