10th Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
My new EX-T is being made next week and I expect delivery next month.
What are your opinions of waxing it within days of delivery? Will the paint be "Cured" enough? I will be using Griot's Liquid Gloss Poly wax which is of course just a wax and non abrasive.
I feel pretty confident about sealing the paint so soon as many car dealers offer their own "Sealant" as part of the buying process.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Not really sure. I assume the paint is baked for a long period of time at the factory and Honda formulates the paint so that the baking process is enough to cure it completely. Also, the Civic has probably been sitting a while before getting to you, waiting at the factory to be assembled, waiting at factory lot, shipping, etc.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Yes, it's OK to wax, completely cured, etc. I recommend one of the kits from Zaino Bros. Thoroughly wash car with dishwashing (caustic) soap, clay bar the finish, then apply the protectant.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Waxing shouldn't be a problem since you're just adding a layer over the paint. If it was paint correction with compounding and all, then you might want to give it some time, maybe a few months. That way you can be sure the paint won't be soft.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello All. Thank you for your responses. Civic Duty - I used Zaino years ago when it was rather new on the market. I just did not see any benefits over other products. Mixing of the ingredients, and then using multiple layers and multiple products of theirs to do the job gave me no better protection or shine. At least that was MY experience. But I am always open to suggestions. Thanks again.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I'm a Zaino user .. have for years ... the newer Zaino isn't as finiky ... No need for ZFX unless your doing multi layers in a day .. They now have an AIO you use first to prep the surface. BTW you can polish, clay & wax new car paint . Have done it many times .... Paint is factory cured ... where a respray needs 6 week or as indicated by the painter.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I read a post that cautioned against dish detergent for car washing.
Maybe if the car is old and has multiple layers of old wax, but not on a new car clear coat.
I searched for the post , maybe it was rallyreds?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Dawn won't hurt anything as a pre detail wash soap used once or twice a year. I use it for every detail followed by polishing then a 50/50 IPA / water mix to clean any residue, oils off the surface prior to applying sealant erc.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I checked the Meguiar forums, and yes those household supplies are in the detailers kit.
The OP is talking about a brand new car, first wax, within a few days of delivery, and was curious if the paint was completely cured. My guess is yes, but Is Dawn and dilute IPA needed?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Zaino only recommends dishwashing soap for prepping the finish. It should remove everything down to clearcoat. After the protectant is applied, THEN use regular soap formulated for car wash - if you use Dawn again, you just removed all your hard work.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I checked the Meguiar forums, and yes those household supplies are in the detailers kit.
The OP is talking about a brand new car, first wax, within a few days of delivery, and was curious if the paint was completely cured. My guess is yes, but Is Dawn and dilute IPA needed?

On a brand new car you can still have residue on it from the dealer prep , and who knows what they use , so yes to the Dawn. And BTW Dawn itself will leave a residue on the surface. Dawns purpose is to remove oils and the likes and some low end waxes . Dawn wont totally remove a quality sealant. The IPA removes the final residues. Goods sealant like a very clean surface to crosslink too.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I heard that regular soap like that isn't good for our paints and that soap made for cars is the best way to go, unless it's just marketing at play here so we don't resort what's probably the cheapest option. What's your take on it?

·
Registered
129 Posts
I heard that regular soap like that isn't good for our paints and that soap made for cars is the best way to go, unless it's just marketing at play here so we don't resort what's probably the cheapest option. What's your take on it?
Its not good as a reg wash soap but as a twice a year detail prep there is no problem . I do between 80 & 100 cars a year and its my go to as a prep. As for reg eash I use Cemical Guys soap.
In reality the dish soap is harder on the rubber if used regular than it is on paint.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Hello All. Thank you for your responses. Civic Duty - I used Zaino years ago when it was rather new on the market. I just did not see any benefits over other products. Mixing of the ingredients, and then using multiple layers and multiple products of theirs to do the job gave me no better protection or shine. At least that was MY experience. But I am always open to suggestions. Thanks again.
Back when I first tried Zaino, you could not purchase online - you had to print out an order form, fill it out, and mail with check or MO, so yeah, I guess it was fairly new. However, after using paste wax, and carnauba (sp?) wax back in the 60's and 70's (I'm an old fart), I was really impressed when I tried Zaino! Yes I took the time to do two coats, but it was so slick afterwards, bugs and guts wouldn't stick to it! It would last about a year before next application, and I could tell when needed because the bugs and guts didn't just hose off anymore. :laugh:

·
Registered
129 Posts
Back when I first tried Zaino, you could not purchase online - you had to print out an order form, fill it out, and mail with check or MO, so yeah, I guess it was fairly new. However, after using paste wax, and carnauba (sp?) wax back in the 60's and 70's (I'm an old fart), I was really impressed when I tried Zaino! Yes I took the time to do two coats, but it was so slick afterwards, bugs and guts wouldn't stick to it! It would last about a year before next application, and I could tell when needed because the bugs and guts didn't just hose off anymore. :laugh:

I'm and old fart too ... Been through all the phases of wax right from Simoniz up to today.. Turned 71 in Sept and still do close to 100 cars a year plus my new Civic and a 2006 Acura TL with 48,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Waxing shouldn't be a problem since you're just adding a layer over the paint. If it was paint correction with compounding and all, then you might want to give it some time, maybe a few months. That way you can be sure the paint won't be soft.
Although a new car should definitely not need a full paint correction you can compound/polish a new car. Body shops do it all the time. They will paint a car and then once it is dry a day or two later they will wetsand and buff it.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Its not good as a reg wash soap but as a twice a year detail prep there is no problem . I do between 80 & 100 cars a year and its my go to as a prep. As for reg eash I use Cemical Guys soap.
In reality the dish soap is harder on the rubber if used regular than it is on paint.
What rubber parts are you talking about? I've always used normal soap to hand wash my cars but now I'm a bit concerned. Of course I wax it afterwards but I don't do much to the rubber trim.

·
Registered
129 Posts
What rubber parts are you talking about? I've always used normal soap to hand wash my cars but now I'm a bit concerned. Of course I wax it afterwards but I don't do much to the rubber trim.

Rubber around windows and other seals etc .. You use "normal" soap as in car wash soap or dish soap? Dish wash soap because it can be very alkaline can dry out the rubber if used regularly. If used for a semi annual detail .. no harm done.

Even Turtle Wax car wash soap at $5/gal is fine. I use soaps from Chemical Guys .. only takes 1 oz to 5 gal of water and super sudsy and lots of lubrication.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Although a new car should definitely not need a full paint correction you can compound/polish a new car. Body shops do it all the time. They will paint a car and then once it is dry a day or two later they will wetsand and buff it.
Very true. Plus I guess any good body shop and detailer will have a paint depth indicator and continuously measure and analyze the situation.

Do you have some ritual you do with new cars before deciding its good enough to be driven on the daily without worry of effects on the paint?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts