10th Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Great look at paint popularity trends, even better that it's an infographic coming right from a paint maker.
Not surprised to see white be as popular as it is, even just driving around your typical big city this is easily noticeable.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great look at paint popularity trends, even better that it's an infographic coming right from a paint maker.
Not surprised to see white be as popular as it is, even just driving around your typical big city this is easily noticeable.
Sure but it begs the question of why? Are people simply demanding more white cars or are manufacturers producing more white cars which will unfairly skew the numbers? Me thinks its the manufacturers as white is the cheapest and simplest paint to apply...

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Sure but it begs the question of why? Are people simply demanding more white cars or are manufacturers producing more white cars which will unfairly skew the numbers? Me thinks its the manufacturers as white is the cheapest and simplest paint to apply...
Not sure what the reason is but one thing I noticed is how well people respond to selecting white over other colors.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure what the reason is but one thing I noticed is how well people respond to selecting white over other colors.
how well people respond to picking white eh, on beemers and Benzes basic white is the only no charge option. They're not 'responding' well, they're making an economic decision.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
That's the case with a basic color, non-metallic, nothing special going on. That also goes for any other color they offer, black being another one.
I don't know about you but if i'm buying a BMW, paying $500 more for a color other than some basic white or black is not much at all, it's a cost that is EASY to absorb, it's a VERY small barrier. What's $500 to someone who is already willing to sign off on making payments on a $40k vehicle? Of course you can select colors that cost more than $500 but around the 3-figure range there's more than enough to select from other than the no-charge white.

·
Registered
991 Posts
I'm slightly surprised that the most popular color is white. I thought people would be more likely to go with silver or grey since it is easier to keep looking clean.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's the case with a basic color, non-metallic, nothing special going on. That also goes for any other color they offer, black being another one.
I don't know about you but if i'm buying a BMW, paying $500 more for a color other than some basic white or black is not much at all, it's a cost that is EASY to absorb, it's a VERY small barrier. What's $500 to someone who is already willing to sign off on making payments on a $40k vehicle? Of course you can select colors that cost more than $500 but around the 3-figure range there's more than enough to select from other than the no-charge white.
Then you're giving far more credit to the image addicted egos of 'how much monthly nut' crowd that they've been praying on.

Answer me this, why are the majority of 3 series, C class and A4 in basic white vs next to no 5 series, E class or A6's? Oh they just like it.... LOL

·
Registered
170 Posts
I'm slightly surprised that the most popular color is white. I thought people would be more likely to go with silver or grey since it is easier to keep looking clean.
My 2002 Civic EX, 1998 Integra, and 1992 Accord SE were all silver/grey and hid dirty very well, so that was why I bought a 2007 Fit in silver too. I also have a 2012 Civic Si in white to give something else a chance. I rarely drive it but have to wash it as often as the Fit to keep it looking clean (which is different than actually being clean).

I read somewhere that last decade the most popular color was grey/silver. Kind of like how media outlets can decide what is news, vehicle manufacturers can also decide what color is the most popular by offering more vehicles in one color than in another.

·
Registered
991 Posts
My 2002 Civic EX, 1998 Integra, and 1992 Accord SE were all silver/grey and hid dirty very well, so that was why I bought a 2007 Fit in silver too. I also have a 2012 Civic Si in white to give something else a chance. I rarely drive it but have to wash it as often as the Fit to keep it looking clean (which is different than actually being clean).

I read somewhere that last decade the most popular color was grey/silver. Kind of like how media outlets can decide what is news, vehicle manufacturers can also decide what color is the most popular by offering more vehicles in one color than in another.
I agree with this in part but basically every car is offered in white, black, silver and grey so I don't see how white is being favored. People have just as much a chance to buy a black or grey car.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I agree with this in part but basically every car is offered in white, black, silver and grey so I don't see how white is being favored. People have just as much a chance to buy a black or grey car.
Then you're ignoring the data, because white, black, silver are 1,2,3. Apple made white extremely popular, not to mention white is the colour of choice for the nouveau riche (and pretenders alike), for some reason they seem to think it screams sophistication...

But realistically it comes down to mercantilism. True capitalism allows the consumer to dictate choices, mercantilism makes that choice for you...

·
Registered
876 Posts
It's funny how it works, i remember years ago people wanted silver/grey because of how much more easier it was to maintain since scratches are not as easily seen. Now these days its a lot of white and black cars.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's funny how it works, i remember years ago people wanted silver/grey because of how much more easier it was to maintain since scratches are not as easily seen. Now these days its a lot of white and black cars.
Again, even silver comes down to mercantile nature. Silver, Blacks and Whites have a more favourable resale value, most dealers do the bulk of their business in leases, meaning they resell or CPO the car once it comes back, its much easier to find second buyers for a silver car than a lime green one. While lime green may be extremely valuable to one guy, he's a much smaller pool than the crowd just looking for a car.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Again, even silver comes down to mercantile nature. Silver, Blacks and Whites have a more favourable resale value, most dealers do the bulk of their business in leases, meaning they resell or CPO the car once it comes back, its much easier to find second buyers for a silver car than a lime green one. While lime green may be extremely valuable to one guy, he's a much smaller pool than the crowd just looking for a car.
Good point, going with colors that others can easily accept is a great way to go about it, best way to get rid of a vehicle sooner than later. That's one thing I noticed on used car lots that dealers have.

·
Registered
170 Posts
While probably true, let's say that a vehicle manufacturer produces vehicles in white, black, and grey. All three colors are offered, but the manufacturer produces 100,000 units in white, 5 units in black, and 3 units in grey. While all three colors are offered, white is produced misproportionately in comparison to the other colors offered.

·
Registered
991 Posts
While probably true, let's say that a vehicle manufacturer produces vehicles in white, black, and grey. All three colors are offered, but the manufacturer produces 100,000 units in white, 5 units in black, and 3 units in grey. While all three colors are offered, white is produced misproportionately in comparison to the other colors offered.
I understand what you are saying but the real important thing is what the actual ratio is. Are they producing a huge amount more white vehicles than other colors? Maybe a little but not something crazy i would assume.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I understand what you are saying but the real important thing is what the actual ratio is. Are they producing a huge amount more white vehicles than other colors? Maybe a little but not something crazy i would assume.
I wouldn't be surprised at all if they are producing more in white...

·
Registered
991 Posts
I guess its a chicken and egg problem. Is it popular because there is more of it, or is there more of it because it is popular?

Whatever it is, trend and fads come and go. White definitely won't be the most popular color forever.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I guess its a chicken and egg problem. Is it popular because there is more of it, or is there more of it because it is popular?

Whatever it is, trend and fads come and go. White definitely won't be the most popular color forever.
Nailed it!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts