10th Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unfortunately I was in a car accident last month that wrote off our 2005 Mazda 6 GT.

Began looking for a suitable replacement for a DD and came to choose between the Acura ILX, Civic Touring 2016 or the Mazda 3.

I eventually decided to opt for the Civic because I loved everything about it. It's price, features, turbo engine. It was fun and full of features.

However, the issue is that it's the first of the new redesign of the civic. And like many early adopters of anything you are suspectible to any kinks or issues that may have been overlooked and upon research and there are a few videos, many posts and even some articles about issues that the Civic is facing at the moment; mainly in the infotainment system.

Just wondering how likley one is to run into these issues? 30% 25% 70% chances? Are these issues something Honda can easily fix for free from just software updates in the near future? And lastly, does anyone regret their purchase or give any some (hopefully unbiased) advice on the matter?

Thanks

TLDR: Civic Touring seems amazing feature and price wise. However early adopter problems are a concern.

·
Registered
331 Posts
There is no unbiased information on the Internet.

We put a deposit on a Touring on January 9th. It was built, supposedly, between 2/14 to 2/18 in Alliston, Ontario, and should be here sometime in the next three weeks or so. (We've known its VIN for about four weeks, but we are about as far from Alliston as American Honda goes.) This will be the ninth new Honda/Acura we've purchased since 1986.

I've been watching the 10th gen Civic forums since before it was released. And I've seen a lot of early adopter issues posted. My expectation for ours is that the infotainment will be buggy. And that I will ask the dealer to incorporate the TSB 16-028 transmission control module code update for the surging issue pre-delivery.

From what I read daily, and, perhaps from naive optimism, I'm not expecting the infotainment glitches to be as bad as what we lived with for almost three years with our '12 Ford Focus with MyFord Touch--and Ford issued four or five updates for it in the time we owned it. (Boy, I'm hoping I'm correct at that. The MFT could drive you to distraction with its glitchy and unpredictable behavior. By the time we dumped the car., my wife would never even turn the radio on--and it was her daily driver. Pretty pathetic for a premium priced and marketed audio system.)

I see no signs that Honda cares particularly about the core infotainment bugs--the one thing they issued a fix for so far, the Touring audio amplifier TSB 16-001 fix, was not a bug in the core infotainment system and was high impact and pervasive--or has any plan in place to fix them and make it easy for owners to get and install the fixes relatively painlessly. This is my #1 pre-purchase worry about this car. By far. Oh, and they did fix the spurious HondaLink maintenance messages bug.

Beyond infotainment and the TSB 16-028 issue, I'm not seeing anything else that has more than a smattering of reports. Some of those reports seem to be cases of unrealistic owner expectation or failure to read and heed the manual. It also seems, again maybe this is naive optimism and wishful thinking, that the number of new reports of non-infotainment issues--new or repeat issues--seems to be tapering off despite the constant and accelerating number of new owners of '16 Civics as sales ramp up. Of course, it could also just be that the later adopters are less likely to be the kinds of people that frequent Civic forums on the Internet.

Reading Internet car forums to determine if a car will be reliable is like going to an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting to decide if you should have a drink with dinner.

I'm preparing to rationalize acceptance of the potential early adopter infotainment issues based on limited automotive choices here and the fact that any comparable car we'd buy would have a top line infotainment system and every manufacturer seems to be having the same kinds of issues getting infotainment right.

TLDR: you'd be taking your chances with anything. Why not take them with an otherwise great car?

·
Registered
331 Posts
Oh, and let me add: the one issue that has gotten the most bad press for the '16 Civic so far is the 2.0L engine piston pin snap ring recall. That does not affect the 1.5L engine in the Touring.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh, and let me add: the one issue that has gotten the most bad press for the '16 Civic so far is the 2.0L engine piston pin snap ring recall. That does not affect the 1.5L engine in the Touring.
Thanks for your reply and feedback !

Im aware of the engine problem only effecting the 2.0's which is good because I plan to get a touring.

I am also hopefull that these issues are also solvable through software updates within the cars computers and that they arnt hardware issues.

If I do go along with the Civic Touring I just hope they can fix any issues I run into eventually through an update rather than having me deal with it for X amount of years until I get rid of the car. Everything about the car is great; but the issues most people face with the infotainment system kind of kills many of the features for the civic.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I have a touring, I have had no issues other than the infotainment one, which was fixed with the software update a couple weeks after it started happening.
Buy with confidence, Honda takes good care of you

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm on Civic number 5 since 1995. I'll admit I was at Honda for service in November and to test out an HRV since they had one on the lot and I had time to kill. The dealer said there is a new Civic, take it for a spin. I did and loved it. It was my beloved comfort of a Civic, only better. At the time I still owed on my 2010 and had not intention of buying until Spring 2016. Luckily my dealer made an offer I could not refuse, sure I played the sales game waiting for mine to return from service and went home to mull it over with my husband, but I called the next day and did purchased. Any car you get can have recalls, TSBs, kinks, etc. no matter what brand. My last one did with a front end part and Honda was great to be sure the care was fixed, followed up, made sure all was right. When you buy a Honda, it's an investment, not just a car. Sure I'm a bit upset about my piston recall, but I know it will be taken care of and the equity you carry in a Civid is worth a few bumps in the road. If you don't love it in a few years, you will at least have a great trade. But you'll never know till you try!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just test drove the Touring Coupe this morning. I've been waiting for the dealer to get one on the lot to test drive. After owning Hondas for over 25 years, the new 16 Civic is the real deal to me.

I absolutely fell in love with this little coupe and will have to wait until week after next to see if the manager can put in a request for a White Orchid Pearl. The first batch Honda just sent to the dealer. There just aren't any Touring models on the lots.

I have faith in Honda and its ability to take care of problems that arise. Maybe that trust is misplaced, but I haven't been let down in 25 years of ownership: Civics, Fits, CR-Vs, Insight and Element.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts