10th Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

My name is Mike and Im from Ontario Canada. I was a long time Honda owner with my last being a 2007 Si Coupe. It was a great car, but as the years passed, it lacked in looks and options compared to many other similar cars, so I switched brands. Im hoping with the 10th Gen, Honda ups the ante and restores their former glory with looks, features and performance.

I currently have a 2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 which is an absolute blast to drive. But, its not exactly the most practical thing, its stiff and loud and isnt that great in the winter lol. A smaller, lighter, tech filled Turbo Si might make for a nice replacement. Or, with the wifes approval, a CTR.

I also have a 2015 TLX SH-AWD and its has some really nice features and options that will trickle down nicely into the Civic.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I loved the TLX concept... less wowed by the production car... and i feel like for the money it could perform a bit better than it does, especially when you can get a full loaded accord (and now a touring) that has most of the same features, similar interior quality, and very similar performance numbers (disregarding the SH AWD model)

I really like the ILX after they refreshed it and dropped the base 2.0. But again, it kind of begs the question of why not getting an Si (unless you need the DCT transmission) I wish Acura had a small coupe again like the RSX, but maybe there isn't a market for it anymore... especially when you can get a civic coupe Si or an accord coupe.

·
Registered
991 Posts
TLX sounds great as far as tech and driving, but I just don't like the way it looks, and when you are buying a luxury vehicle, the looks really matter.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im pretty happy with the TLX, so no complaints. Looked at an Accord, but its a much larger car and no AWD which was on the top of my shopping list. Looked at a few of the Germans (A3 and 3-series) but the price skyrockets with any of the TLX options. The IS and Q50 were both on the list, but I found the TLX simply a better value. The TLX is a great highway cruiser, quiet around town, rides and drives real nice and lots of tech. Its also deceptively quick too.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
welcome to the show!! you go with 4cyl or V6? I've only driven the 4 pot with DCT... seriously what a blasssttttttttt
Depending on how much he looked into it, I bet it could come down to the 4cyl since i've been hearing a lot of owners saying the 4cyl was potent enough that they didn't see the need for a 6

·
Registered
441 Posts
I didn't realize that the TLX was much fun to drive. I guess it makes sense since it is a Honda. In the same way that Honda is trying to become a bit more sporty and exciting, I think Acura should do the same.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
V6. The SH-AWD only comes with a 6 here in Canada anyway. Ive driven the 4-banger and it did drive nice, but it did feel a bit underwhelming. With 290hp, the 6 moves along nicely.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I'd like to go test drive a new ILX with the DCT and see how an automatic Si would feel. All the reviews i've read said the refreshed ILX is actually alot of fun to drive, like a more plush and quiet sedan Si really...

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'd like to go test drive a new ILX with the DCT and see how an automatic Si would feel. All the reviews i've read said the refreshed ILX is actually alot of fun to drive, like a more plush and quiet sedan Si really...
I test drove one about a 6 weeks ago. Very quiet and relaxed. But power when needed. The DCT shifts like a dream, up and down. Smooth. The salesman came with me so I didn't have it out long and wasn't really all that interested, just curious. I much prefer a manual so it was more just a novelty than a thought to purchase. I didn't use the paddle shifters, strickly auto mode. I'd go back and take it out for a longer spin on my own, but then the sales guy would really be hounding me to buy it because he's contacted me a couple of times since, and I have my heart set on a 2016 6 speed manual Si coupe, with somewhere around 250 horses and at least that much torque, so Honda, please come through for me! (us) If Ford can do it (Focus ST, 252 HP, 270 lb-ft), you definitely can. Don't curtail us loyal SI fans just because a Type R will arrive here in about two years.

One thing that I don't like about the ILX is the rear folding bench seat. No 60/40 split. Weird. Seems minor but...still weird.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I test drove one about a 6 weeks ago. Very quiet and relaxed. But power when needed. The DCT shifts like a dream, up and down. Smooth. The salesman came with me so I didn't have it out long and wasn't really all that interested, just curious. I much prefer a manual so it was more just a novelty than a thought to purchase. I didn't use the paddle shifters, strickly auto mode. I'd go back and take it out for a longer spin on my own, but then the sales guy would really be hounding me to buy it because he's contacted me a couple of times since, and I have my heart set on a 2016 6 speed manual Si coupe, with somewhere around 250 horses and at least that much torque, so Honda, please come through for me! (us) If Ford can do it (Focus ST, 252 HP, 270 lb-ft), you definitely can. Don't curtail us loyal SI fans just because a Type R will arrive here in about two years.

One thing that I don't like about the ILX is the rear folding bench seat. No 60/40 split. Weird. Seems minor but...still weird.
Well people seem to be leaning toward a detuned 2.0T from the Type R for the next gen Si as opposed to the 1.5T which would make similar numbers to the current 2.4 so 250 isn't out of the realm of possibility... I'd say 230 is probably a closer guess with about 195 torque, but with the 2.0T it could easily be tuned up.

Also, that is pretty weird the ILX doesn't have the split rear seat given that the Civic does EX and above... not that its of a whole lot of use. The pass through opening when my seats are down is so small that barely anything wider than about 2.5 feet fits through it.

·
Registered
991 Posts
The 60/40 seat split doesn't seem like a big deal to me. I think that it is pretty rare that you ever have to actually use that. And the seats still recline to expand cargo space, so I don't see too much of a problem.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The 60/40 seat split doesn't seem like a big deal to me. I think that it is pretty rare that you ever have to actually use that. And the seats still recline to expand cargo space, so I don't see too much of a problem.
Use it in my Rav4 often enough. Load up for camping and our daughter can still sit comfortably. Granted, the Rav is wider than the ILX. I just figure they came up with the concept for a reason and it does come in handy sometimes. Not a big deal. Just thought for a luxury car, very odd to take it away. As RobbJK88 mentioned, Civic has it EX and above, not having it in the ILX sort of makes it below the EX level, from that perspective. TLX has it, so the ILX is the DX, not the EX, of the Acura line? LOL

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Get this split seat, kids, camping, DCT, minivan, family rubbish out of my thread lmao.

If its not about a FI 4-banger, V6, RWD or AWD Im not interested.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Get this split seat, kids, camping, DCT, minivan, family rubbish out of my thread lmao.

If its not about a FI 4-banger, V6, RWD or AWD Im not interested.
I agree, funny what the start of talk relating to split seat can lead onto :D

But the fact they didn't include it says something, it might just be the minority that wants it, making it not enough of a demand to fill.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I agree, funny what the start of talk relating to split seat can lead onto :D

But the fact they didn't include it says something, it might just be the minority that wants it, making it not enough of a demand to fill.
The 10th Gen seems to be geared more towards the younger generation who doesn't see a need for it.

Mentioning "FI 4-banger, V6, RWD or AWD" for MTD. :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts