10th Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my gf lost my one-week-old Civic Hatch EX key. My question is would I be able to get one of those OEM replacement key fobs off ebay and program it myself or would I need to take it to the dealer due to the new remote smart feature?

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
The last time I had to have Honda reprogram a key for me it was about $75 plus the cost of the key, which was surprisingly reasonably priced. I think that the final cost for two keys and programming was about $140, and the keys in question were the remote equipped keys of the GEN 8 cars. If I recall correctly, the process did take close to an hour, and an appointment is necessary.

Now, I get that this isn't the answer to the original question; I'm pretty sure that the answer to that is: "You need to take the car into the dealer for programming, and you should anticipate (expect) some grief from the dealer service people, and it's possible that they won't do it unless you get the key from them." As I understand things, the proprietary security interface tools are required, and if this was something that could just be accomplished by simple programming then it would negate the anti-theft properties they built in to prevent this sort of thing.

It's painful, I'm sure, but you'll likely need to suck it up and see the dealer and pay their price if having a second key is important to you (it should be). Your time ought to be worth something to you, and the pain incurred with the time spent in researching all of this, ordering, executing, making programming attempts based on things read on forums, and ultimately having to see the dealer anyhow would be lessened by just biting the bullet and doing the thing that's guaranteed to work (and is covered under warranty).

That last part? Should you buy a supposed OEM fob from eBay (or wherever) and it turns out to be counterfeit, you can count on Honda to attempt to void the balance of your warranty, regardless of whether the counterfeit part has anything to do with system issues or not.

"What? Your exhaust fell off and the sunroof won't close anymore? Well, that's because you bought a counterfeit key fob and it's wreaked havoc to all systems of the car. We can't honor this under warranty. . ."

As always, your results may vary. I only speak from my own personal experiences in the hopes that others may benefit.

·
Registered
114 Posts
On a side note, I really like the feel of Honda keys. The new ones are a bit wider than the 2006 Accord keys but otherwise the same. I don't have remote start built in but the keys are weighted and shaped just right and it is a joy just to hold the key. OP: I would find another gf, this one isn't going to work out with the losing your keys and all of that jazz.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts