10th Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be getting a black or white (still undecided) touring model and I wonder if I should tint the windows. I like an even tint as apposed to light in front, darker in back. The law in Quebec is I must let in 70% of the light. I am not sure what the factory tint level is but for anyone who knows, is this going to be a noticeable tint or should I just leave it as is?

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
in the US, 20% is usually factory for the windows behind the driver and passenger and then the fronts must be at least 35%. 35% all around should look nice and still allow you to see good at night

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm pretty sure the place that did my tint told me most cars are have around 70% from the factory. I found this post from a guy who had his stock BRZ tested by a cop and it registered 75%. I also found this that says the NHTSA mandates 70% OEM and cars sold in Canada would probably match this too.

But, you should ask at your local tint shop. If factory is 70% and your local law is 70% for the fronts, they'll surely let you know that any front tint will be illegal.

My state law is 50% front, 35% rear. Like you, I hate the mismatched look, so I got 50% all the way around. But, 50% times the 70% OEM yields a total tint of 35%, so I should be illegal on the fronts. But the tint guy said he'd never heard of anyone getting ticketed for that, since it's definitely not all that dark. I think it looks perfect.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
35% is what i've known to be the ideal percentage that keeps you legal and keep out enough light to a point that it helps to keep the interior cooler and prevent wear from sun exposure.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts