10th Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious what real world fuel economy people are seeing?

Tried to look on Fuelly but there's not one single 2016 up yet...

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have the touring model. For the first 300 miles, the trip computer was showing 45.3 MPG. This was 90% highway driving and light on the throttle.
I was not able to cross check this with a fill-up since the car was at the Honda Service with Stereo issues. They had to do a hard re-set on the system so all trip data was lost.
I am having similar issues with the Radio / Nav unit that others have mentioned in this forum. UGH!!!!!

·
Registered
143 Posts
I just test drove an EX-L Turbo. Did -not- put it in ECO mode, just D (not sport), and drove on highway + normal roads. Only got 25MPG. However, when I began the test, I did accelerate heavy to test the turbo, which made the mileage go to 5 MPG. YES, 5 miles per gallon. And then it took a few minutes to get the average above 10mpg.

Wish I could borrow one for a week and try all the modes. This is one of my main concerns. I don't expect it to beat my 06 hybrid, but should get close to the EPA numbers.

·
Registered
143 Posts
How did you manage to get 5mpg? :surprise:
Testing out acceleration from low speeds. I thought maybe I was looking at fuel consumed (Gallons), but sure enough on the 7 inch display trip computer, it said I had 5 MPG's so far!! After about 3 miles of driving I got it up to 25MPG average

·
Registered
10 Posts
Obviously, with the Civic being so new in the marketplace, it's going to take some time to get reliable MPG information. Anyway, this week I had a ~25 mile drive with my 1.5t Civic on suburban roads (45-55 mph, several stoplights) and according to the trip computer, on the trip I got 41 MPG. I don't know how much I trust that figure (I suspect that Honda's algorithms for fuel consumption for the new turbocharged engine may be a work in progress). But to compare with other Hondas, during my commute to work I would frequently get around 27 MPG with my previous 2014 Accord V6, according to the trip computer. On the same drive with the Civic, after a week of commuting the trip computer consistently shows around 37 MPG. The commute is similar to the trip I described above.

If these figures prove to be accurate over time, I think I'll be very happy with the Civic's fuel economy.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Gents, I own a Touring. I've now had three tank loads to see mpg.
1st tank: Computer said 39 average mpg, but the reality was 37 mpg.
2nd tank: Computer said 35, reality was 33.
3rd tank: Computer said 45.4, reality was 43.4 mpg. With this tank, I had put ARCO Supreme gas and drove my car real easy like a grandma. It was maybe 80% highway, 20% city.
Did the higher octane gas make much of a difference?

ALSO; I am suspicious of the speedometer. Often, it will show me driving say 68 mph and I'm thinking, "This traffic is going less than 70?? Based on past experience, the traffic in my area goes at least 75 and often 80!!! Tomorrow, I plan on doing a test on the speedometer. Stay tuned. If my suspicions are correct, we have a HUGE problem here boys!

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Odd that the mpg is actually lower than the number displayed, it's usually higher once you've broken in the car.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Gents, I own a Touring. I've now had three tank loads to see mpg.
1st tank: Computer said 39 average mpg, but the reality was 37 mpg.
2nd tank: Computer said 35, reality was 33.
3rd tank: Computer said 45.4, reality was 43.4 mpg. With this tank, I had put ARCO Supreme gas and drove my car real easy like a grandma. It was maybe 80% highway, 20% city.
Did the higher octane gas make much of a difference?

ALSO; I am suspicious of the speedometer. Often, it will show me driving say 68 mph and I'm thinking, "This traffic is going less than 70?? Based on past experience, the traffic in my area goes at least 75 and often 80!!! Tomorrow, I plan on doing a test on the speedometer. Stay tuned. If my suspicions are correct, we have a HUGE problem here boys!
How many miles have you racked up on your civic so far?

·
Registered
991 Posts
I didn't think that higher octane fuel would make a difference in the Civic. That that was only for higher end vehicles that are more performance oriented. Did the manual tell you to use that fuel?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Premium will NOT help cars that call for regular fuel to get better milage. The BTU (energy) content for a gallon of regular is approx 115,000. The BTU content for premium is approx 105,000 BTUs. The oil companies promote premium because there is significantly more profit for them, however if your car calls for regular fuel don't waste your money on the premium. And no, your engine will not stay cleaner with the premium. ALL gasolines have detergents in them.

·
Registered
77 Posts
STAR: I now have over 1,100 miles on my Touring.
CIVIL: No the manual did not tell me to use the supreme gas. I just did it.
Binko: Thanx, I'll no longer put supreme in da tank.

Yesterday, I drove on the highway and tested my odometer--not using the gps cause I don't know how! I used the little white mileage markers long the meridian of the freeway. And here are the results: after 21 miles, my odometer was short by 0.3 miles, which translates to about 1.5% off.
That's fairly accurate, no?
And doesn't that mean my speedometer is also fairly spot on?
And doesn't that mean my gas mileage is accurate?

·
Registered
10 Posts
2016 Civic Touring - second fill up @ 490 miles - trip computer said 36.4, actual calculated was 35.2. I'd estimate 15% city, 10% highway and 75% suburban. Not surprisingly, it soundly beats the 26 - 27 average on my previous Accord V6 (which got amazingly good mileage for a mid-sized V6).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts