10th Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

I just traded in my FB6 Si for a new PMM '17 Sport Hatch. However, I just noticed that on the passenger side lower door, there seems to be damage to the door and it has already started to rust. I took possession of the vehicle from the dealership about 1 month ago. There is 1100km on the vehicle. Unfortunately, I just noticed it today. Has anyone heard of this happening? I haven't driven on the highway with it yet, just on residential roads and not on gravel/rock covered roads either. It can't be a rock chip because the bottom of the door is damaged as if it were crushed. Could this be damaged cause by transporting the vehicle from the manufacturer to the dealership? Thanks for any help!

Edit: sorry. Just realize the pictures are sideways because I posted on my phone. Will edit asap.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Make an appointment with the sales manager from the dealership you bought from, see what he has to say. Many cars are damaged to some extent in transport, most minor, this is not. They will try to tell you they have no record of any repair, and this may be true but if they look at the vehicles movement through the supply chain they can find that info. It is not illegal to sell a new car with repairs done to it, it is illegal to not give " FULL DISCLOSURE " of said repairs. This term is your ace in the hole, use it wisely. Listen to what the sales manger has to say and be his friend, remember he most likely didn't know anything was wrong with the car he sold you and now he has to deal with a "shxx show" . He will try to talk you out of doing anything at first because that's his easiest out. Bring a note pad with you when you meet and use it, it means your not going away. They will try to stall you, keep on top of them with e mails. If things start to break down use your ace "full disclosure" in an e mail, It's you polite way of saying " I talked to a lawyer and i'm suing you "
As for remedy, minimum new factory painted panels - maximum brand new car. Good Luck, stay calm and in control.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Cabeldude.
I talked to the sales manager, he said that he was in no position to find a remedy to the solution and that I had to speak to the service manager. The service manager was quite adamant and said that the absolute best that he would do is send it to the dealership's body shop, sand it, paint it and re-finish the spot under warranty. He said that Honda Canada would most likely not supply a new door because that means they would need to re-paint an entire door and paint match the skirts, fender and other door. Which is kinda sad since it's such a new car but it is how it is. What do you think? Thanks again

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
That's the the reason you ask for a factory painted door because it will match, your car will not be faded from the sun its brand new!.... So by willing to do a "repair" under warranty they admit that the damage is not from you and that they need to make it right, you need to decide what is "right" for you. A repainted panel will never be as good as factory, does this matter to you, do you plan on keeping the car for a long time? I would let the service manager know via e-mail that there offer to repair the panel (door) under warranty is appreciated but not sufficient , and that you will contact Honda Canada to see if they will do more. Give them a day or two to reply and if they don't move on their position call Honda Canada and let them know your situation and tell them exactly what you want. It's important to have conversations documented, e-mails are great for this. Did you get the offer to repair in righting, It's important you do so they don't try to deny taking responsibility. Remember the service manager is your friend but his hands may be tied, Honda Canada can untie his hands. Depending on the extent of "hidden" damage to your brand new car your not wrong in asking for it to be made perfect, the other option for them is money back or another car! Remember they didn't "fully disclose" the damage to the vehicle before you bought.

·
Registered
922 Posts
That's a real tough situation and to be honest I'm surprised that they're even willing to do that under warranty. A lot of dealers would try to pin the blame on you after all those kms.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts