10th Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was wondering if I should check out a place to cover the undercarriage of my civic. Already had it for half a year and was thinking about avoiding rust when the winter season is around the corner in Philly because of all the annoying road salt and snow!. Any thoughts and advice would be awesome!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Why?????

I haven't done rustproofing since my 1987 Toyota Corolla! It is not necessary! I had a 2000 Civic for 11 years in the NYC metropolitan area with all of its snowstorms, salt, etc. and NEVER had any rust issues. You'd be wasting your money.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
For one make sure you go somewhere that's not known for drilling all sorts of holes into the body and frame, often those places are shady. Most of the good ones make use of existing access points and do the job with quality and attention to detail.

back when I was looking into rust proofing, videos like this one really helped me.

education is key!

·
Registered
129 Posts
A lot of times the rust proofing causes more issues then you think your preventing. Like plugging drain holes etc. Not needed.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
A lot of miss-information in that video, all manufactures use rust proofing and many use the same product that you can purchase in the aftermarket. The partnership between the car manufactures and the rustproofing companies continue in the aftermarket with manufacture specifications as to where to drill holes and what existing holes to use to get complete coverage. The manufacture knows that you can't get complete coverage once the automobile has been assembled and new holes are necessary. The manufacture also knows that their rust proofing will only last so long and only offer coverage that reflects this. Depending on were you live determines how long before your car starts to rust from the inside out, on the north-east coast an "untreated" car can last as little as five years whereas the same car "treated" will last fifteen years.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Rustproofing is generally unnecessary in today's cars. For those of us on the northeast coast, perhaps if you live in New England or Canada, but in urban areas like NYC rustproofing is a waste of money. The key is to keep your car clean especially during the winter season. "Untreated" cars will last as long as you want them to if you keep them clean! I should know as I have had Civics for long periods of time, untreated, but kept clean and they lasted until I traded them in for a new car. Don't waste your money unless you are lazy about cleaning your car!

·
Premium Member
912 Posts
It's almost impossible to keep a car clean in the winter when temps are as low as zero degrees for four months.Ive had rust develop on untreated cast steel suspension parts after one year.My .02 Lincolns

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Cleaning the exterior of your car does not get rid of the salt and moisture that works it way into every panel and seam, and factory rust protection will only last so long against the elements. I just traded in a two year old Toyota highlander that was nothing but rust underneath, had to replace $600 worth of parts just to get an alignment done (warranty). Traded for 4-runner and got "krown" treatment the first week. Brand new cars sitting in dealer lots that have never been on the road have surface rust on cast and broken paint around bolts and fasteners as stated above, and I have even seen rust coming through the paint in wheel arches of year old leftovers with zero miles. I too had a sixteen year old civic that was rust free but it was waxed twice a year and I sprayed "rust check" under it every year. And P.S. you don't wash your car in the winter around hear that would be the worse thing you could do to it.

·
Premium Member
912 Posts
Also I put a different rear Swaybay on my year old 2013 civic and had to cut the mounts off due to severely rusted mounts.Also my year old 16 Accord Sport had tiny surface rust spots on the paint last spring,but they luckily came right off with a bit of wax.Ill follow up that I live in Iowa where salting roads is SOP every winter.I do also wax my cars every spring, twice in the summer and early fall.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts