10th Honda Civic Forum banner

Scared to buy

3K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  4Tires 
#1 ·
Hey everyone
I have a 2012 EX with 98,000 miles and am negotiating the cost of an EX-T.
This site is incredibly helpful, but giving me second thoughts. I am reading about a lot of issues, mostly electronics.
Is it a bad decision for me to buy a new EX-T instead of a 2015 low mileage accord? I am in love with the look of the new coop, but I drive 30,000 miles a year and a lot of that is sitting in a car with the engine running between sales calls. I need something that is going to last without major issues and I don't have time to try to figure out how to reset computers and get my phone to sync up every other time I get in the car.
Any advice is appreciated.

#4 ·
The best thing to do is wait, wait till order books for the second model year opens up, then come to a decision. The 10th Civic is a new car in its first year of production, typically first model year vehicles have a lot of bugs to be worked out. Plus they might include some better features in next years trims ;)

#6 ·
You don't indicate how much the 2015 Accord is or what trim level. If I was putting 25,000+ miles on a car each year, I would drive the existing civic into the ground and then pick up another car coming off a 2 year lease.

In 2 years you'll clock 60,000 miles on a new car and absorb the worst of the depreciation within those first two years. That's bad economics in my book. Good Luck

#7 ·
I've been buying new cars since 1977 and one thing I've learned is to stay away from first year production models, no matter who the manufacturer is. I was going to buy a 2012 Civic, but decided to wait due to all of the issues they had. I was coming from a '97 EX that had been trouble free all the time we had it. I almost bought a 2012 Cruze, but that car had so many more problems that I avoided the entire generation (2011 - 2016). I'm waiting on a Civic hatchback, but will avoid the first year of those also. Do your homework first and then spring for the best car you can afford.

#8 ·
Doesn't matter WHAT kind of car, or what year car you buy...there will ALWAYS be issues with different make/models. It could be a 200,000 dollar sports car and if you were to go on (that) forum for that particular car I guarantee there would be people complaining about this or that. No car in history has satisfied it's owners 100%. It's just not possible. If you like the coupe it's a great and cool car. Don't complicated things by overthinking things and listening to everything everyone says. There's always gonna be some whiners in every group who seem to think that the car should be 100% flawless. Impossible.

#10 ·
If the few issues you've seen on this forum is holding you back, just wait a bit. The first year after a new model is released is when all the bugs are found and worked out of for the next year's batch. No matter the model, the first buyers are generally the beta testers of the cars. I'll probably wait a bit before diving into a new Civic too.

I assume the civics sitting at dealerships are having the same bugs worked out as soon as members here find them so the next buyers won't experience the same problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.